PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with special knowledge of the T5 Mustang transmission

96-eclipse-gst
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Have a good friend who had a horrible grinding noise. Pulled the transmission out at my shop last night and the input shaft has excessive amounts of movement. Anyone have knowledge of rebuilding these transmissions.

85XR7Project
04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Have you checked the fluid? Thowout bearing could make the grinding noise, did it go away when the clutch pedal was depressed?

Just a few thoughts...

slow ride
04-03-2011, 07:27 PM
If they are like a t56 the input shaft can move side to side some (take up by the pilot bearing), but not in and out. It should just be blocker rings, etc, but under heavy usage that are not worth a shit unless upgraded. I'd guess a bearing if it's grinding just moving down the road.

Deimos
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
if it was grinding I would say it would be the synchros.

slow ride
04-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Maybe when changing gears, but he didn't say anything about that so I don't know. If it's making a grinding noise when driving in gear it's a bearing, etc.

96-eclipse-gst
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Grinds in neutral with the clutch out and grinds when in gear just driving. When turning the input shaft in neutral, it grinds exactly like the noise I was hearing when driving it. Strongly feel its the input shaft, just wondering if anyone has experience rebuilding these transmissions.

slow ride
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
You can probably just replace the bearing and use the shim that came out of the trans. I'd like to see things checked for preload/endplay when changing a bearing or going for a high hp build, but as long as it's not crazy tight it should run. I've built lots of dsm and t56 transmissions and I think a t5 would just be a easy version of a t56. Look around for a cheap rebuild kit.

Scott
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a bearing has gone out, hopefully thats all it is anyway.. It could be the cluster gearset bearings as well, I believe when ever the input shaft is turning so is the cluster. They actually are not that bad to rebuild at all