PDA

View Full Version : Professional Tuner in Center Point

SLVR7
04-02-2011, 11:19 AM
A group of us are going to bring in a professional tuner in May, probably the 21-22, we are going to use the dyno at Black Widow. Steve Kan is top level tuner and does a fantastic job with the WHOLE map, not just wot.
Tuning costs:

$350 - Stock Turbo up to 12psi of boost (pump gas only) 1 map
$400 - Aftermarket Turbo up to 16psi of boost (pump gas only) 1 map
$450 - Aftermarket Turbo from 16psi - 25psi of boost (race gas and/or auxiliary injection only) 1 map
$600 - Aftermarket Turbo up to 25psi of boost (pump gas and race gas tune) 2 maps

Tuning Services For The Following Systems:

Accel Gen 7
AEM EMS
AEM (FIC) Fuel/Ignition Controller
A'PEXi Power FC/FC Edit
Autronic SMC, SM2 and SM4
Cobb Accessport for Rx8 (protuner), G35/350Z/370Z(streettuner), Mazdaspeed (Streettuner), Subaru (Streettuner), GTR (Streettuner)
Dynojet Power Commander / all models
DSM Link
EcuFlash for Subaru and Mitsubishi vehicles
Electromotive Tec 3 and Tec 3R
F.A.S.T. and F.A.S.T. XFI
GReddy Emanage and Emanage Ultimate
Haltech E6X(K), F10X, E6GMX, E8, E11v2 and Platinum (350Z)
Haltech F10 Fuel Controller
Haltech Interceptor and Miniceptor
Hondata S300 and K-Pro
HP Tuners
Hydra EMS
MAF Translator Pro, MAF Translator GenII and MAF Translator
Megasquirt
Mircotech LT8, LT10, LT12
MoTec M4, M48, M400, M600, M800 and M880
Pro EFI
SAFC or VAFC
SCT Flash
Turbo XS UTEC
Wolf EMS

Dyno rate is 100/hr.

If anyone is interested or has questions let me know. You can see dyno graphs and more info on Steve at Kantuning.com.

OldSkoolRCR
04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Shit...We got JappBox tunning, we dont need this guy!...Dam Jesse lets get something put togather and you can get paid!

SLVR7
04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Then why does ams tune his cars?

slow ride
04-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Boy, here we go :)

Deimos
04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
How much is it to use buntings dyno without the tuner I wanna bring my own fat old guy...

SLVR7
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
100/hr

AutoMods
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/IHT/IHT117/man-eating-popcorn_~ih017078.jpg

OldSkoolRCR
04-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Thats funny, AMS base tunes his car, he tunes his Viper just fine, and he managed to tune Georges Talon on DSM link, and there has not been a Talon in this area yet to out run his #s, So with that said have you out run the Talons #s yet. Maybee after your tuner comes to town....lol And I doubt anyone going to this dyno tune day is making the HP Jesses EVO did.

snickerlicker
04-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Oh Snap!!!

Sleeping
04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
So your saying you would let him do a full tune on your own car but will not do it on his own?

SLVR7
04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
You brought Jesse up not me, I don't know much about him or his abilities. Did he tune your camaro, Georges, any of Allgo's car? If no why not? Steve has tuned hundreds, possibly thousands of cars, His experience if far above Jesse's. Jesse may be able to make a car run ok, but not to the potential of a top level tuner. If he has the opportunity to tune a lot of cars, he will probaly get there to someday too. From a few people, 2 tuners that have seen Jesse's maps they are quite conservative, which is what is to be expected from a less experienced person. Why does he need ams to baseline the car, Steve builds his from scratch. I was told ams did the complete tune on his evo, if thats true, how does that apply here? Out of curosity what were the #s of George's talon?

allgo
04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Hell no he has never tuned any of my cars...nothing against you jesse, but I use Kurgan

StreetSweeper
04-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Why does it matter what the numbers are? My camaro don't make shit for power on the dyno but i would gladly give ya a lane! Dynos are for tuning and thats it obviolsy why your bringing the guy to tune on the dyno. My talon was street tuned by Jesse when ever we felt lik fucking with it, But i will tell you it made about 75 more hp on the dyno then my camaro does and is miles away for ET times!

slow ride
04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Guys, I don't think anyone is out for a race or fight, etc. Just some info about a group of guys bringing someone in to do some tuning on local dyno. Sounds like it would be fun to watch or participate in tuning with someone with miles under there belt. I will say though that when choosing a tuner you should go with one most familar with the car/engine you are working with.

Clinical
04-02-2011, 11:40 PM
- double posted

Clinical
04-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Jesse didn't really tune my car since it ended up having so many issues when I took it to him (my own fault, didn't realize it). But he did a great safe tune for me, which I could revert to basically under any circumstance and tune from without worrying about having issues.

Once I fixed the issues I tuned it myself from his base tune every time I retuned it, and he showed me how to do a lot of the more 'specific' things in DSMLink.

Steve Kan though does seem like a great guy. I had been in talks with him over tuning my car but just ended up being short in funds, however I had a lot of communication with him.. very experienced nice guy who was very open in his communication with me.

StreetSweeper
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
No not trying to start shit at all just stating that the power numbers dont really mean shit. And stating the example that the Talon made more HP then the camaro did and couldnt come near the ET. But the Dyno is a great tool to tune with!

SLVR7
04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
I only asked your #s because your dad brought it up. You are correct that the # on the dyno doesn't mean anything except to gauge if you gained or lost anywhere in the curve

AutoMods
04-03-2011, 01:08 AM
I could see using a tune from a professional as a guide. but so many things change so much as far as temperature, DA changes, boost or nitrous, additional mods, different fuel etc. you just should know how to tune a little yourself imo . or at least log your car every so often so you can see if its knocking.

i thought i heard talk of up to 15% ethanol being put into pump gas in the future, those ethanol changes will change the afr's a bit. then there was that post about the law trying to be passed allowing gas to be sold without labeling the ethanol % at the pump.

I thought this was interesting but look at the stoich value of these different fuels. if you didn't know better some of these fuels could throw your afr's off .

Sunoco MO2X UL – 14.5
Sunoco 260 GTX – 14.4
Sunoco 260 GT – 13.9
Sunoco 260 GT Plus – 13.7
Sunoco Standard – 14.8
Sunoco Supreme – 14.9
Sunoco MO2X – 14.5
Sunoco HCR Plus – 14.8
Sunoco Maximal – 15.0
Sunoco MaxNOS – 14.9
Turbo Blue Unleaded (100 octane) -13.9
Turbo Blue Unleaded Plus (104 octane) - 13.7
Turbo Blue 110 - 14.7
Turbo Blue Advantage - 14.9
Turbo Blue Extreme - 15.0
VP Street Blaze 100 - 14.16
VP C10 -14.53
VP C16 - 14.77
VP 110 - 15.09
VP MS109 - 13.41

e10 - 14.13
e15 - 13.7
e85 - 9.87

SLVR7
04-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Your wideband measures lambada, and the afr is derived mathematically. Doesn't matter what fuel you are using stoich of any fuel is a lambada of 1, which will read 14.7 unless you reprogram your system multiplier to read something different.

AutoMods
04-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Your wideband measures lambada, and the afr is derived mathematically. Doesn't matter what fuel you are using stoich of any fuel is a lambada of 1, which will read 14.7 unless you reprogram your system multiplier to read something different.

fuels with different stoich vales require different tunes. yes the oxygen sensor will automatically know where the stoich point is on any fuel but the tune (the required amount of fuel injected into the engine) will change. So I'm saying if you have a one time tune on 14.7 stoich pump gas and than you go and run a race gas or e15 pump gas with a 13.7 stoich value, that will lean your car out about 7% .

I'm just saying its nice to have the tuning software and some do it yourself knowledge. I'm surprised at how many really fast 8-9 sec cars out there will go get a dyno tune and never touch the tune all year round. Seems kinda risky to me not to own the tuning/logging software and keep an eye on things.

snickerlicker
04-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Most of the better stand alone systems use correction, tune stays close. That and datalogging each and every pass is key.

SLVR7
04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
fuels with different stoich vales require different tunes. yes the oxygen sensor will automatically know where the stoich point is on any fuel but the tune (the required amount of fuel injected into the engine) will change. So I'm saying if you have a one time tune on 14.7 stoich pump gas and than you go and run a race gas or e15 pump gas with a 13.7 stoich value, that will lean your car out about 7% .

I'm just saying its nice to have the tuning software and some do it yourself knowledge. I'm surprised at how many really fast 8-9 sec cars out there will go get a dyno tune and never touch the tune all year round. Seems kinda risky to me not to own the tuning/logging software and keep an eye on things.

I agree, just putting the info out there because a lot of people don't understand how it works. I've seen a lot of people switch to e85 and try to tune for 9.9 and not underatand why they have raw fuel running out the tailpipe

slow ride
04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Hell WOT is the easy part. Getting a modified street car to run close to stock and drive nice is the hardest thing to tune. Add some big injectors, cams, turbos, etc and it's a never ending battle to find perfection.

Phish
04-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I actually had to adjust my map on the way back from the IC meet this weekend. The car was going way lean when cruising on the interstate in 6th at around 80mph. It was causing itself to overheat. I was glad i brought the laptop. I just made a few changes and whala. Still amazes me what one can do with a car and electronics nowadays.

snickerlicker
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Hell WOT is the easy part. Getting a modified street car to run close to stock and drive nice is the hardest thing to tune. Add some big injectors, cams, turbos, etc and it's a never ending battle to find perfection.

X2!!!

Scott
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM

I havent used a wide-band to tune yet, tried to but it never read consistent enough for me to trust it. If you look at some of fastest Nitrous pro-mod cars they all read spark plugs and the wideband is just secondary, they rely more on crankcase vacum and timeslips to tune than a wideband.

Wanna know whats really scary about relying on a wideband, unless you use a wideband with a sensor for each cyl, they can vary ALOT.. So unless you check ALL plugs or have a fancy wideband you are just guessing and hoping the hot cylinder dont burn down. I use mutliple heat range plugs and different jetting for each clyinder to try and even it out. If I had individual cylinder timing control that would be awesome, maybe soon though.

Scott
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Thats for a drag car though, when on the street I definetly agree that a wideband helps alot.. I had a stumble I couldnt figure out till I put the wideband back on it. Maybe someday I can fancy like you guys and get a standalone EFI car! Im just stuck in the old carburated big engine slump I guess.

SLVR7
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I wideband for quick reference and log egt and knock per cyclinder, so far so good.

skipdownstairs
04-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Amen to that

skipdownstairs
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
This is a really good thread I found to help people with reading spark plugs

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282968