PDA

View Full Version : DSM'r here. U of I / Iowa City area what's up?

Chicago_DSM
03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Can't believe I never realized there was an Iowa based car forum? Thanks to Import Evolution for the suggestion on Tuners a couple months back.

My name's Josh. Junior, Business Marketing major at IOWA. I've always been kind of disappointed with the car scene here but I met quite a few people at last year's Coralville meet and hoping to do that again.

I drive a 2G Talon AWD. Nothing crazy, bought it bone-stock 2 years ago as a clean daily while I was still building my old '90. Now just an EvoIII 16g, v3, FMIC, and some things here and there. I've had a laundry list of DSM's (all 1st Gens) and various turbo setups. Big, little and everything in-between.

I co-founded and help run ChitownDSM.com which is a Chicago-community DSM board with about the same amount of members as here (~1600ish). There are quite a few Iowa DSM'rs that chat and come down for local meets. My involvement there has slowed a lot since I came to Iowa but its going strong and there are a lot of big players still regular on there ie Mike Reichen (world's fastest evo), Devin Shultz (World's fastest 35r DSM), Tim Zimmer, etc.

I have no great pictures of my current daily unfortunately, but if you live in the IC area you can find the Talon parked downtown and me parked inside one of the many downtown drinking establishments :cool:

I'm better known for some of my older 1G's, most notably this super clean, low-mile E316g powered '91 which suffered its very unfortunate fate in the Winter of '06/07.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Chicago_DSM/Joshcrash013-1.jpg

Anyways I'm looking forward to creeping around the board and perhaps seeing some of you downtown. That's all I got for now.

Deimos
03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
welcome man

96-eclipse-gst
03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok, I gotta know...how the hell did you do that? It couldn't have been easy to flip a dsm.

Chicago_DSM
03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure why that's the only picture I included.

Here is the only picture I could find of the 2G:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Chicago_DSM/IMG_1047.jpg

Here is my old 1G shell rolling away last summer after the part-out:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Chicago_DSM/IMG_1017.jpg

And the clean one when it was still right side up:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Chicago_DSM/IMG_2710.jpg

Chicago_DSM
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok, I gotta know...how the hell did you do that? It couldn't have been easy to flip a dsm.

Ignorant 16 year old, early January, thin layer of snow on the ground, merging lane, 2nd gear pull @ 24lbs, black ice patch, 180* off the road, left rear tire hits ditch, four and a half rotations. Lesson learned.

96-eclipse-gst
03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Ignorant 16 year old, early January, thin layer of snow on the ground, merging lane, 2nd gear pull @ 24lbs, black ice patch, 180* off the road, left rear tire hits ditch, four and a half rotations. Lesson learned.

You say lesson learned.....was it really? You still drive a DSM, maybe just not doing pulls in winter anymore. LOL That looks like it was a hell of a thing to walk away from. Can't say DSM's are made for safety. Welcome to the board, have you been in Iowa City ever since freshman or did you transfer. Just curious if you knew Belittle back when he had his 2g GSX.

Chicago_DSM
03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Funny you ask that actually. I PM'd Bryan on the Link forums when I saw his location description. It was right before my freshman year. He told me to come by when I moved to Iowa City, so that's exactly what I did. He picked me up from my dorm in his 2G. On slicks haha. Gave me a tour of his garage and his parts cars, Dan Lewis still had his Talon parked there at the time.

As far as your first comment goes, I don't drive DSMs in the winter anymore. Also you would be surprised how many roll over 1g accidents I have heard of where the drivers walk out completely OK. Not that I would recommend trying it.

85XR7Project
03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Welcome, I like that the new members actually have knowledge and cars worth a shit......Unlike myself.

JustinS
03-30-2011, 05:41 AM
Welcome man, are you coming to the Iowa City meet this Saturday?

TbTalon94
03-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Welcome. Don't know if you remember me but we've talked on multiple boards many times. Names Trevor, and i carry the Tbtalon94 name everywhere lol.

Also own Tab-Fabrication that you've probably seen a few things around your forums, tuners, and the like.

slo4cyl
03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Welcome! Ive seen you post on Dsmtalk quite a bit

Drifte
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I was a long time 1g'r. Now just sell parts for em. Your not to far from us at ImportEvolution. Welcome to the boards.

Xboosted23X
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the board. I also used to be into dsms but made the switch to evo.

Clinical
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
heh, about 2 or so years ago half the board here was DSM's from what I remember

Drifte
03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Yea. we had a BIG dsm group. The group has since gone domestic, but most maintain a loyalty to the 4g63.

Chicago_DSM
03-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome. Don't know if you remember me but we've talked on multiple boards many times. Names Trevor, and i carry the Tbtalon94 name everywhere lol.

Also own Tab-Fabrication that you've probably seen a few things around your forums, tuners, and the like.

Yeah of course! I have quite a few buddies that have had you do some custom fab pieces. Unbelievable work! Actually a buddy of mine is selling a beautiful 4" intake you did right now and it truly puts those FP's to shame. Used to see a lot of your stuff on EvoM as well.

Thanks for the welcome guys. As far as DSM'rs going Domestic, that's the trend back home as well. They either go LSx or Evo. I am sure when I graduate and start making a salary I will follow one of those paths as well, but I can assure you I will ALWAYS have a DSM in the garage to play with ;)

Import Evolution, that is...North Liberty? Cedar Rapids? I remember ordering some parts a couple years back and saw the town on the package and realized it was only a short drive from my place at school.

I'm going to be out of town but I plan on being back for the meet. Hopefully I can convince my buddy to bring his 1G out.

96-eclipse-gst
03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Funny you ask that actually. I PM'd Bryan on the Link forums when I saw his location description. It was right before my freshman year. He told me to come by when I moved to Iowa City, so that's exactly what I did. He picked me up from my dorm in his 2G. On slicks haha. Gave me a tour of his garage and his parts cars, Dan Lewis still had his Talon parked there at the time.

As far as your first comment goes, I don't drive DSMs in the winter anymore. Also you would be surprised how many roll over 1g accidents I have heard of where the drivers walk out completely OK. Not that I would recommend trying it.

No kidding that is actually pretty funny. About a year and a half ago, Bryan moved his shop up to Cedar Rapids and eventually helped me get my automotive repair business going. We actually just split ways maybe 5 days ago. He moved his shop to Arizona and I stayed at the location we shared.

Trevor, bringing up most of the board owning dsm's, I recently sold mine after owning it for the last 7-8 years. Atleast my fiancee and I still have a mint 98 GSX in the garage I will begin to play with when I have the time...hopefully this summer. I keep seeing everyone's projects and it's starting to make me jealous....again welcome to the board and hopefully I'll see you around sometime.

Andrew

AutoMods
03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
No kidding that is actually pretty funny. About a year and a half ago, Bryan moved his shop up to Cedar Rapids and eventually helped me get my automotive repair business going. We actually just split ways maybe 5 days ago. He moved his shop to Arizona and I stayed at the location we shared.

Trevor, bringing up most of the board owning dsm's, I recently sold mine after owning it for the last 7-8 years. Atleast my fiancee and I still have a mint 98 GSX in the garage I will begin to play with when I have the time...hopefully this summer. I keep seeing everyone's projects and it's starting to make me jealous....again welcome to the board and hopefully I'll see you around sometime.

Andrew

now that you've sold your dsm, you have to jump the bandwagon and buy a v8

FiFdYnUtZ
03-31-2011, 11:17 AM
welcome!

skipdownstairs
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
now that you've sold your dsm, you have to jump the bandwagon and buy a v8

rubbish rubbish hahaha

DustinsDuster
04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
welcome to the site. it's cool to know some people are still building DSM's- i thought the trend died out completely.