PDA

View Full Version : New Posts?

sparkles
03-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Am I the only one having issues? If I click on the "new posts" button and read the first thread that pops up and then go back to the top, it then will only show a few of them. Also, when I hit the double down arrow next to the thread titles, it doesn't take me to the last post I read. WTH?

AutoMods
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm not quite sure exactly how the whats new button is programmed to work but I don't think its designed to be the same thing as a view all unread posts button. what's new button may use some cookie data and a timeout value to determine which posts to show you as new. It might be programmed to show you new posts but if you choose not to read some of them in such in such a time, its stops displaying them as new posts. And if your switching onto different computers I'm not sure if that changes its effectiveness. I would like to get an 'Active Topics' button up there eventually.

As far as the 'Go to first new post' >> button, that one seems to work pretty good and consistent for me

AutoMods
03-24-2011, 10:24 PM
ok, i switched the forum from option 1 to option 3, this might help . There is literally hundreds of these types of settings in the vbulletin forum software for all different areas, so finding them isn't always easy.

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive

sparkles
03-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been using my laptop the entire time, so no switching of computers. To be honest, I've never even touched the What's New button, just "new posts" under the "Forum" button.

AutoMods
03-26-2011, 07:59 AM
With this new change, lots of old posts now show as unread. so you guys will have to click the "mark forums read" just one time. and from then on the new posts link should work great.