PDA

View Full Version : any repair rim shops in town?

probegt
03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
does anyone know any good shops in town that can fix rims and repaint them?

Deimos
03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
alloy rim repair

clutchmuch
03-23-2011, 10:01 PM
basically if you have a bent rim buy a brand new one. alloy wheel repair can only fix inside bends, outside can't be repaired anywhere, but for $110 a rim that's almost the cost of a brand new one, repainting is like $200 a wheel there. total rip off

Ricky
03-24-2011, 07:24 AM
basically if you have a bent rim buy a brand new one. alloy wheel repair can only fix inside bends, outside can't be repaired anywhere, but for $110 a rim that's almost the cost of a brand new one, repainting is like $200 a wheel there. total rip off

not if it is a STI BBS rim..... they are way more then $110

sLoWnStEaDy
03-24-2011, 07:39 AM
I happen to be the tech for AWRS of Eastern Iowa... We can repair bends on both the front and back side, depending on the rim. Also, that comes with a lifetime warranty on the repairs and the paint job. We get the rim to within .0030 of perfect roundness, factory is anywhere .0060-.01

We also do custom paint matches, use very high quality materials and again, provide a lifetime warranty. Factory rims will cost anywhere from $500-$1500+ EA from a dealership, $200~ for a repair and paint job that is usually better than a brand new rim doesn't seem so bad to me. Then again, i am a bit biased... ;)

Drifte
03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
^ Your also a j walker. Woulda honked but you had a hood on and I wasnt sure it was you going accross your street to your car. If I get my train horns on you woulda pooped your brain.

Deimos
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
so keith you answer that craigslist add. We had some dude that use to bring us cookies out at sears and we would refer him business. He use to charge an arm and a leg but its a life saver with 24's.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
so keith you answer that craigslist add. We had some dude that use to bring us cookies out at sears and we would refer him business. He use to charge an arm and a leg but its a life saver with 24's.

Not sure what you mean...? They had an employment ad on Craigslist? I found it on corridor careers myself...

sLoWnStEaDy
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
^ Your also a j walker. Woulda honked but you had a hood on and I wasnt sure it was you going accross your street to your car. If I get my train horns on you woulda pooped your brain.

It was me, I have a hood up 80% of the time I am outside... and probably 25% of the time I am inside LOL

Deimos
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Not sure what you mean...? They had an employment ad on Craigslist? I found it on corridor careers myself...

Yeah they had an add on it for a while.

clutchmuch
03-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I happen to be the tech for AWRS of Eastern Iowa... We can repair bends on both the front and back side, depending on the rim. Also, that comes with a lifetime warranty on the repairs and the paint job. We get the rim to within .0030 of perfect roundness, factory is anywhere .0060-.01

We also do custom paint matches, use very high quality materials and again, provide a lifetime warranty. Factory rims will cost anywhere from $500-$1500+ EA from a dealership, $200~ for a repair and paint job that is usually better than a brand new rim doesn't seem so bad to me. Then again, i am a bit biased... ;)

well im just saying what the tech at alloy wheel repair said to me

sLoWnStEaDy
03-25-2011, 08:29 AM
well im just saying what the tech at alloy wheel repair said to me

When was this? If it was in the last 4-5 months, it wasn't a tech you talked to because i am the only tech. Either way, i just wanted to clear up the misinformation. We can not ALWAYS do front bends but most of the time we can.

clutchmuch
03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
It was early February or late Jan. I brought in 2 rims with a very small outward bend on the lip in one spot. The lady at the front desk said to sit and wait while she gets a tech from back. Waited a few minutes a guy with short blondish hair i think? idk cant remember that well and maybe glasses, little bit bigger guy too, with a black sweatshit came out looked at the rim and said "We cant repair these we don't have a machine that can unbend the front lip,
and that they were unrepairable anywhere" which i thought was strange. i put a picture up in a little bit of the bend

sLoWnStEaDy
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Only person it could have been is James Johnson (went to prairie), that is the person i was hired to replace. He isn't big at all though, short blondish hair but no glasses, probably 5'-10" and 160lbs~...

Either way, that looks like an EASY fix. Probably take me 5-10 minutes to knock that little guy out. I would need to know the finish of the rim though. We don't usually touch chrome because it tends to crack/flake/flatten but other than that...

Deimos
03-25-2011, 07:58 PM
lol thats it? wow dude you could do that yourself charge him 30 bucks Keith and fix it

clutchmuch
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Its polished black with a brushed lip, but it doesnt matter any more i got a set of Rota Mags from a guy on craigslist + 4 bf goodrich tires with like 80% tread for 400 lol, i'm selling these to my friend anyway, they still hold air too no leaks, then he can go pay to have it de-bent haha

gatesauto
07-25-2011, 06:37 AM
dont know about Iowa.. but i have gates auto body in my town!

Ricky
07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
^ mods? ban this guy

SaNdMaNsSi
07-25-2011, 09:09 AM
dont know about Iowa.. but i have gates auto body in my town!

Please ban this annoyance.