PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 CR-V - Any good?

Clinical
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 4x4 crvs.

I'm wanting to get something practical that's actually a bit more modern, I'm taking a 2 month long road trip with 3k+ miles this summer and am looking for a car that would be well-suited for it.

I've read they can manage 28-30mpg on the highway with the 5speed.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal opinions/experiences with them?

snickerlicker
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Nutless wonders that run forever.

Clinical
03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd really rather have a Cherokee, I love them.. but the gas savings would just be too worth it..

Also considering something like a forester or an outback.
However from what I've seen these have a b20 so I can imagine working on it would be a breeze and get better mileage overall.

Deimos
03-13-2011, 05:50 PM
depends newer or older. I hate the older ones but the newer ones seem to last.

AutoMods
03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
i think of it as a chick vehicle.

get a trailblazer 5.3l v8, they have displacement on demand/active fuel management, 20 mpg's and lots of torque could tow a car trailer easy. lots of parts support and tuning support (turbo it). efilive will tune it along with other gm cars/trucks/suv's

85XR7Project
03-13-2011, 07:35 PM
You keep talking about this road trip, where is it you are going?

Aren't CRV's AWD? I don't think it'd be a terrible vehicle to use as a parts runner/DD. The window button location would constantly irritate the shit out of me but then so does my PT Cruiser...

AutoMods
03-13-2011, 07:39 PM
heres kinda the average for the 5.3 trailblazer from people on their forums

Winter : 14-15 CITY 20 HIGHWAY

Summer :17 CITY 23 HIGHWAY

Clinical
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
i think of it as a chick vehicle.

get a trailblazer 5.3l v8, they have displacement on demand/active fuel management, 20 mpg's and lots of torque could tow a car trailer easy. lots of parts support and tuning support (turbo it). efilive will tune it along with other gm cars/trucks/suv's

I might keep my eye out for one, what years did they have the displacement on demand?
The only issue is finding one with low miles in my price range may be a bit hard.

I'm seeing a decent amount of CRV's and such with ~100k miles around the 4-6k mark which is kind of my area.
Of course getting something like this would simply be the smart thing to do.

I'm also considering looking into another LS1 or something for the trip, considered how even my old third gen I loved sitting in, and my z28 was ridiculously comfortable and smooth on the highway. I'd love to have one for the trip and get 30+ mpg but I'm not sure I could take everything in it, especially if I end up having someone carpool with me.

You keep talking about this road trip, where is it you are going?

It's a bit hard to explain, but theres going to be a big convoy of us. It's been in the planning stage for a few years now and I just got wind of it all a few months ago.
Basically, my best friend has another friend who lives some distance away, who has been organizing this trip for awhile and decided to do it this summer. Friends of friends all over are hitching on. So I'll technically only know 2 other people in the convoy, but we'll have about 20 people and probably around 8-12 vehicles on the trip.

The person who organized it is going to come meet me and my buddy in Burlington and stay here for the night and then we're going to head out and meet up with some others, and then the others who aren't in our path are just all going to head to Michigan and everyone's going to meet there at this one guy in the trip's lakehouse and basically just party for about a week there haha. Then we're all going to take off for Seattle Washington for some big weeklong 24/7 festival. After that we're planning to hit up LA for a week or so.. Thats the end of most of the ideas for the main group, however depending on how much time I have left before my classes start in the Fall, me and my buddy and maybe some others are probably going to swing down to the grand canyon as well.

I initially wasn't going to go, as I knew there was no way I could afford the $700+ gas and then all the extra money I'd be spending for food/necessities not to mention while my laser is relatively reliable, there is no way I would take it on that kind of a trip lol. However the more I thought about it I've always been complaining how I've only ventured outside of the midwest once in my life and that was on a high school trip back in 2006, which was all structured and shit to San Antonio. I've always been wanting to take a trip like this, and I figure doing it with a bunch of other people would be pretty cool and it wouldn't be your average vacation.

So many people complain about not traveling enough when they were young, and I know I'll be one of them no matter how much I actually travel.
This also may be my last summer that I don't really have bills to pay as well, so what better chance to do something like this.

Anyway, its a really budget trip, so we'll also frequently be sleeping in our vehicles and my idea is to get something like an SUV / truck that gets decent mileage, and take out all the rear seats and makeshift a more 'livable' space haha - Good ol' fashioned VanDwelling, I'd totally rock a conversion van if it werent for gas prices or make a sweet 70's disco/sex van

Drifte
03-14-2011, 08:04 AM
CR-V I believe is a fwd with rear wheel assist. Not actually 4x4 or even AWD. The rear wheels wouldnt move the vehicle at all if the fronts were off the ground or on nice. Whats wrong with the civic anyway, best college car IMO.