PDA

View Full Version : wideband Accuracy?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
finally got around to installing the AEM wideband and boost gauge today. The manual says on turbo cars it must be mounted at least 36" from the turbo but it needs to be BEFORE the cat. My cat is like 5" from the turbo so that isn't possible as of right now. i put the wideband about 40"~ from the turbo and that is after the cat of course.

I assume the cat is going to throw the wideband off a decent amount? When idling/cruising, I am right around 14.5~ air/fuel ratio, wide open it drops down to 10~. Boost is at 7psi~ right now. I have a 3", catless downpipe on the way so it shouldn't be an issue for long. I am also going to be installing my 3.5" GM MAF and MAF-T as well as an SAFCII here soon.

So basically, I am wondering if the cat is doing crazy things to the wideband or if I am really going that lean on factory boost level, factory injectors and a Walbro 255

snickerlicker
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
10's A/F under boost is not lean, in fact it's a little rich. Your idle a/f looks good too.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-12-2011, 06:03 PM
10's A/F under boost is not lean, in fact it's a little rich. Your idle a/f looks good too.

Well then... good to know. One thing I am not sure about, the gauge only goes down to 10, so I don't know if it is actually at 10 or if the gauge doesn't actually go lower than 10. it bounces between 10-10.2 at WOT.

I was reading through everything on the MAF-T but it is all for a 1G DSM so I am having a hard time figuring it out since it is not going on a 1G...

c_mart_28
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, seems pretty rich for a factory boost level with factory fuel setup..

better than the other way around I suppose.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, seems pretty rich for a factory boost level with factory fuel setup..

better than the other way around I suppose.

Guess that just means I get to turn up the boost a little then. When I got the car, the MBC wasn't hooked up right and it was maxing out, 14psi on the factory boost gauge. Didn't seem to have any issues but that's just from the feel of it. I only have a comparison though, I test drove a 1G talon from that car lot on Rockford road years ago and at like 4K rpm at full boost the thing would just fall on its face and the A/F dropped completely off the gauge (it was a narrow band so, no idea what it was reading)

The previous owner out some work into it apparently. Nothing crazy from teh looks of it but it had the 88-89 ECU (no fuel cut) upgrade done already, drilled/slotted rotors, Walbro 255, MBC, different turbo and a couple other small things I can't remember right off hand. Also did a hack job on the exhaust though, 2.25", 2.5" and I think even some 2", just a complete mess. Once I get my 3' downpipe, I will be doing a complete 3' exhaust as well.

LT1Dan
03-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I test drove a 1G talon from that car lot on Rockford road years ago

Yeah right! I call BS!!! No way you test drove that car!!1!

Sorry, had to. haha I have nothing to add to this discussion so I'll be on my way. :)

sLoWnStEaDy
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Sorry, had to. haha I have nothing to add to this discussion so I'll be on my way. :)

HaHa! if this thread derails because of your smart ass comment...

AutoMods
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
the factory mitsu eclipse and talons run very rich also from factory. 9's and 10's afr's. yes the gauge might only go to 10.0 but if you log it through your laptop you should be able to read to at least 9.0:1 . doesn't really matter because you shouldn't ever need to run richer than 10.0. you can lean it out to low 11's at factory boost level but as far as upping boost and leaning it out, its nice to be able to see engine knock first before leaning and upping boost. is there a way to see knock on the starion?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Not sure if there is a way to see knock or not... I know there isn't for me because i traded my tuning laptop years ago for a TC4 to Biohazard... LOL

I don't know shit about these cars yet....

Clinical
03-12-2011, 09:18 PM
yeah a stock DSM runs very rich in the 9's so your car may be running pretty normal

Hell DSMLink comes with stock tables and when I first installed link on the talon, it was running in the 9's for a/f.. Just get your sfc set up and pull fuel till you're sitting around 10.5 a/f through boost, it'll still be a bit rich however it'll leave you some room and probably run a whole lot better.

snickerlicker
03-13-2011, 07:01 AM

typical, LT1DAN always fuckin up people posts!!!

DustinsDuster
03-13-2011, 11:58 AM
when/if you decide to swap in a 4g63, let me know. i'd be interested in modifying another wiring harness for RWD.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
when/if you decide to swap in a 4g63, let me know. i'd be interested in modifying another wiring harness for RWD.

Doubt I will ever do it to be honest. The parts car that I got with this has a "built" motor in it. I haven't taken it apart yet but I was told forged pistons, pawter rods, cam etc... I will most likely just rebuild that one, if anything. I am kind of getting tired of swaps to be honest! LOL...

sLoWnStEaDy
03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Wrong spot...