PDA

View Full Version : Mustang V6 to V8 swap difficulty

IronTalon
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey guys new here, but I did try searching and didn't come up with anything.
So on to the topic of this post. I might be buying a friends Mustang here in a couple months, and am wondering what the difficulty/cost is of doing a V8 swap. The car is a 2001 V6 auto, I'd really like to do a cobra clone, six speed,m 5.4, IRS, etc... I know it's probably be cheaper to start with a GT, but this car is clean, only summer driven, all maintenence done on time, no accidents, no rust or scratches.
I know my way with a wrench and have access to a fabrication shop 24/7.

sparkles
02-20-2011, 06:30 PM
It's a Mustang. It's easy

Deimos
02-20-2011, 06:33 PM
John is your guy. you should do an AJE LSX swap.

IronTalon
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I've thought about doing an LS swap, but ultimately I want the higher rev capability of the Ford modular.

Deimos
02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
juggernaut would be awesome

85XR7Project
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Why are you choosing the 5.4 over the 4.6? Another question that comes to mind is why go through all the trouble of "saving coin by sticking with a V6" and then blasting cash away buying the needed stuff to get it done? You are going to have to change the k member for sure by going with the v6 over a GT. Get a Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC, a T-45, and a good solid rear 8.8 and you'll have a sweet car that didn't rape the shit out of your wallet.

IronTalon
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
85XR7Project. It's personal preferences, that set up you mentioned has been done 1000's of times, it works well and it's perfectly fine for most Mustang owners. However I am one of those people who think the 00-04 Mustang Cobra's were probably the best American car ever conceived. Independent suspension although admittedly weaker than a solid axle set-up more than makes up for it in handling, the 5.4? well the old adage; there's no replacement for displacement, comes to mind. The T56? also personal preference, I prefer 5 close ratio gears and a 6th "fuel mileage" gear. As for starting with the V6? like I said before this car is in damn near mint condition, babied to the extreme, I'd rather start with a chassis that has little to no problems, and I find most GT's are overpriced, 10k or more, maybe they just cost more than I'm willing to pay for a ten year old car. As for money? well money equals time and I'm in no hurry to get this project done, if I get it, I might holdout for a GT or go with another car entirely, but if I do it's going to be a long term multi-year project. Not to mention I know parts are going to be expensive, but all the work is going to be done by me, so labor cost is going to be non-existent, about the only thing I wouldn't be able to do would be boring out the cylinders or blueprinting the block, stuff like that.

AutoMods
02-20-2011, 08:46 PM
most of the time its cheaper to just buy the car done, all the little things add up. also when you sell the car you will not get the money out of it as you would if you had bought the gt . not to mention you save all your labor. you might save on insurance money though. I wouldn't let the clean v6 sway your decision as there are plenty of clean gt's out there

Deimos
02-21-2011, 02:52 AM
import is not wrong.

69gt4speed
02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Yea the insurance deal could be huge long term. I know a 03 cobra ins isn't cheap nor my 2011 gt. One thing imo go w a 8.8 sra tons of parts for that and doesn't break if you do a moser 31 spine axles etc. Still cheaper than dss halfshafts 1500. I know I've broke 2 reg ones at the track. On street never a problem beside the wheelhop bs. I like a t56 ok a lil notchy but fair. Oh yea spec 3+ clutch p/p holds 800 whp.

stangvortech
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
if you get the car and want to do the swap i can help you. Im also selling the 03 cobra motor out of my car fyi down the road.

85XR7Project
02-21-2011, 05:34 PM
No need to get butt sore man, just stating my opinion.

stangvortech
02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
you dont need a new k member just new motor mounts.