PDA

View Full Version : run my dual walbros full time or off a hobs switch??

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
geting setup for e85. should I run my dual walbros full time or off a hobs switch that triggers the 2nd pump during boost. right now i'm just running a single 255

pros of running them all the time
-------
*more reliable maybe due to no hobs switch and vaccum source required
*simpler
*cheaper although hobs switch are only $20-$50 i think
*don't have to tap a vacuum line

cons
----------
*fuel can heat up maybe from all the circulation
*might be noisier with 2 on all the time
*might have to run a larger return line although i might have to do it anyway with the hobs setup also

Sleeping
02-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I ran duals on the talon with stock return line. Both running full time with no problems

stangvortech
02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I would go all the time. and I would go with the new aeromotive pump over the walbro. Im switching over right now.

Deimos
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
plus the aeromotive has that nifty controller

sparkles
02-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Was just gonna say, why not just throw an A1000 on it?

SLVR7
02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Was just gonna say, why not just throw an A1000 on it?

I would run 1 044 and a Kenne Bell boost a pump. There has been guys runs 30% gain for many yrs/miles with no problems.

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
turning my one walbro pump into duals for a cost of less than $90 and probably flows more than the a1000 and the 044 with boost a pump.

external a1000 pump cost over $300 and may require sumping my tank . bosch 044 with boost-a-pump would be over $400

i don't want to get delayed and over budget :)

any more opinions on full time duals wired up?

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I ran duals on the talon with stock return line. Both running full time with no problems

i'm surprised the stock return line did that just fine. good to know. btw how's your ls1 swap going?

SLVR7
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
turning my one walbro pump into duals for a cost of less than $90 and probably flows more than the a1000 and the 044 with boost a pump.

external a1000 pump cost over $300 and may require sumping my tank . bosch 044 with boost-a-pump would be over $400

i don't want to get delayed and over budget :)

any more opinions on full time duals wired up?

Twin 255's won't even outflow a standard wired 044, but I understand the budget concerns.

slow ride
02-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Just run the dual pumps with good voltage. Make sure they smoothly transition into the single feed line. Still using the stock fuel rails, etc? Not sure of the flow on the stock rail, but I can't see it being the best at the power level you should be at and running e85. Not saying I know either way, but something I would look into. You'll have to play around with your return setup to see if it's big enough or not.

I just noticed the quick star in parkersbug has e-85. Hmmm maybe the s4 needs to be converted :supz: I wish I still had my talon for a road beater now. It would have ran well on e-85 as it didn't like stright 93 with ethanol (lost big power over c16)

SLVR7
02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Just run the dual pumps with good voltage. Make sure they smoothly transition into the single feed line. Still using the stock fuel rails, etc? Not sure of the flow on the stock rail, but I can't see it being the best at the power level you should be at and running e85. Not saying I know either way, but something I would look into. You'll have to play around with your return setup to see if it's big enough or not.

I just noticed the quick star in parkersbug has e-85. Hmmm maybe the s4 needs to be converted :supz: I wish I still had my talon for a road beater now. It would have ran well on e-85 as it didn't like stright 93 with ethanol (lost big power over c16)

Jim Linds, has e85, the new quick star going up by Fogdalls is going to have a pump, and a new caseys in town is going to have a pump as well.

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Twin 255's won't even outflow a standard wired 044, but I understand the budget concerns.

a single walbro can around 550whp, my car was near that at the end of last year. they can do a little over 600whp NA or at lower fuel pressure.

A bosch 044 is rated at either 300lph or 340lph can't remember but they are only good for around 700whp , definitely less than dual walbros

I will be running socketless -10an aeroquip line for the feed , one of the few lines approved for e85 although braided ss tolerates it for a long time like 5+ years.

i did some reading on stock rails and one vender said they can support a lot of power but just a lot off people like to go with aftermarket rails that have AN fittings built in

Scott
02-14-2011, 07:03 AM
IMO simpler is better, you wouldnt want that 2nd pump to not turn on when you need it, I dont see a negative to running them both full time as long as the plumbing and wiring are the correct size. With the large flow alot of these electric pump assemblies are putting out I do believe its a good idea to have a intertia switch just in case.. Oh and if you do order a intertia switch let me know I am interested in installing one in my car as well

TbTalon94
02-14-2011, 07:12 AM
About 99% of Evo owners that have dual Walbros do a Hobb's switch. Just so the 2nd pump has a longer life as it doesn't need to be running when not in boost.

That being said, you don't drive the car enough to worry about life of the pumps and also shouldn't worry about noise.

I'd just keep it simple and cheap and run them both all the time. If they go out then throw a new one in.

c_mart_28
02-14-2011, 07:25 AM
I'd just run them all the time. Not going to be THAT loud.. My magnafuel external pump is THAT loud, i guess to me it just adds to the car's overall sound appeal.

And on your return line, how big is it? A smaller return line is good for fuel pressure, but there is such a thing as too small.. I personally run -10 feed, -8 return with e85 and have had no problems.

I'm with you though on the simplicity aspect. Thats why I went the return fuel system route in the first place on my car.

stangvortech
02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/ ... ter-inlet/ (http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/fuel-pumps/11140-340-stealth-fuel-pump-center-inlet/)

that is what im talking about. its the new one.

Clinical
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm running dual 255 walbros on my laser and the noise isnt really that much louder than it was with the talon's single.

I still have a stock fuel line as well.
Never had any issues with my fuel setup at all.

AutoMods
02-14-2011, 12:22 PM
yea stangvortech , i figured you were talking about that one. its a nice option, espcially if it allows you to stay with a single pump. its reliability has yet to be proven as it just came out but since its aeromotive it will probably be fine.

but for me personally a single one of those is not enough fuel running e85 (it claims 30% more than walbro). so i still have to run duals. and walbros are about half the price, they are whored out cheap

stangvortech
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
yea, I got ya Im going to get two of these aeromotive pumps and take out my ford gt supercar pumps. I also have twin baps/fpdms on there two. Im also on e85.

qoncept
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
About 99% of Evo owners that have dual Walbros do a Hobb's switch. Just so the 2nd pump has a longer life as it doesn't need to be running when not in boost.
Wow, that's crazy. Fuel pumps last a long time, and they're only $90 anyway. And I bet turning it off and on is worse for the life than running it all the time.

slow ride
02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I'd like to log fuel pressure whe it goes on and off to see if there is a spike in pressure when the second pump activates. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I'm sure you could see it.

AutoMods
03-06-2011, 12:33 AM
thought this was interesting

http://jayracing.com/images/products/Bosch_044_vs_Walbro_255HP_vs_Aeromotive_A1000EFI.J PG

69gt4speed
03-06-2011, 01:01 AM
IMO simpler is better, you wouldnt want that 2nd pump to not turn on when you need it, I dont see a negative to running them both full time as long as the plumbing and wiring are the correct size. With the large flow alot of these electric pump assemblies are putting out I do believe its a good idea to have a intertia switch just in case.. Oh and if you do order a intertia switch let me know I am interested in installing one in my car as well

Yea good idea and might think about hooking fuel relay to a oil pressure switch also. Lots of reasons one off hand I know is ok braided fuel line came loose and fell on to headers guess what happened? That nova went poof right under drivers seat area. A oil pressure sw installed it would have lost fuel, engine quit, then oil sw go open killing relay and pump. A smaller fire anyway as it was, pump kept feeding fire. That's the story of how lil bro got a 69 ss 396/375 manual nova for 200.00 w roller rockers l88 cam and bunch of stuff. He found a 6 cyl nova for 100.00 and fixed all it up w the old man.