PDA

View Full Version : browser hijack

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I've been brower hijacked 3 times now in the last year. usually happens when i try to stream ufc pay per views from crappy sites. i'm surprised the virus can intrude like that when you don't even opt to download a file and i never give permission to run activex on those sites either.

the only viruses that ever get me is those darn viruses that want you to buy the antivirus software they support and it will not let me open anything on my computer.

I always keep my avast virus software up to date as well as windows defender and windows itself. you guys know of some good software to prevent those?

69gt4speed
02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Ryan, I've had good luck w norton 360 and it allows you to back up files online. It's caught several virus esp that one that tries to make you buy their antivirus, which I might add blew right through the supplied mediacom freebee. This computer has win 7 on it so that freebee was not compatible. Another thing is norton 360 allows you personally use it on 3 of your computers w no extra charge. Oh yea aeroforce gauges pm me if you can supply.

http://www.nortonoutlet.com/E/norton-36 ... Kgodei9XgA (http://www.nortonoutlet.com/E/norton-360.asp?source=002_norton&TID=002&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=norton%20360&utm_adg=Norton360&utm_campaign=NortonSoftware&gclid=CL3zj_fkhacCFcjsKgodei9XgA)

Domestic Disturbance
02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I use Spybot which has a thing called SD Resident which blocks a lot of incoming spyware. That plus AVG antivirus, and have the windows firewall on about 50/50. On top of that, I sometimes will do a malwarebytes scan every once and awhile. I use Firefox with the add blocker add-on. Have had 0 hijacks with this setup.

What browser are you using?

AutoMods
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I use mainly IE but i've heard a lot of viruses are written and only work with IE.

I should surf risky sites with mozilla. Kinda why Macs have less viruses, not that they are more secure but less virus software is written for them

norton is good. they seem to offer a lot of stuff that runs live can interfere with non-threatening sites as a side effect. i don't like extra stuff running on my computer but i might have to run another live background program at this point or leave avast but from what i read avast was suppose to be good.

69gt4speed
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I used to hate norton but this new one 360 seems pretty good, auto backup, cleans up the registry, and so far has stopped you from entering bad sites and all the spy crap viruses worms etc. And it updates virus sig almost daily that's a plus in itself. Mediacom freebe well was useless vs those virus remover worms my old desktop sits right now screwed up thanks to some virus program written in india. I usually use firefox but wife uses ie

Domestic Disturbance
02-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Internet Explorer is bad news. I hear chrome is the best nowadays, but I really have no reason to switch.

n8kerns
02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
You should definitely drop IE, go to Chrome or Firefox (or Palemoon). They are both good, each has its pro's and con's so just try them both and see which feels the best. Also just watch what your clicking. If you feel iffy about a link check the destination first to see if that's where you want to go. If your still getting threats, try AdBlock Plus or similar program like DomesticDisturbance has and that should stop them.

As for antivirus software, Avast is one of the best free ones. I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials. If you want to spend some money try ESET NOD32, Bit Defender, and Kaspersky. They are almost always the top 3 ranked antivirus software. All 3 also have free trials so you can test each one and be protected for about 90 days at the same time.