PDA

View Full Version : po 716 code in my gtp

Luminatorz34
02-08-2011, 01:07 AM
po 716 code in my gtp came up yesterday....it is input turbine sensor parameters out of range...i dont know exactly what is causing this, or where to even begin. but for what ive read on the subject it causes the transmission to either not shift, or not shift properly/ thru all the gears. now heres what confuses me...my car acts like nothing is wrong, it shifts perfect like it has the whole time ive owned it. goes thru all gears, doesnt slam, slip or skip gears. tq convertor still locks up the way it should. so i dont know where to start or what to even do...ive seen some similar problems like mine that resulted in the tranny being removed torn down to replace a "reluctor wheel"? ive never torn into a a/t tranny before, and dont want to tear into it and mess it up, or find out i didnt need to tear into it....any help would be greatly appreciated here. thanks in advance guys

Deimos
02-08-2011, 05:50 AM
I would run the codes on the tranny and ask a full service shop with alldata or a solus pro or better. Troubleshooter is a life shaver.

85XR7Project
02-08-2011, 08:04 AM
"the code you found is for the Input Speed Sensor ( ISS ) and this can only be accessed by dropping down the transmission and removing the side cover. Most of the time the sensor itself is not the problem and the reluctor wheel is damaged and doesnt spin which causes a loss of signal. Replacing the reluctor wheel involves removing the pump, valve body, and channel plate inside the transmission to gain access to the reluctor wheel."

That is a quote I took from Trannyman on the GTP forums, he knows quite a bit about the trannys in these cars. Hope it gives you a direction in which to look.

Luminatorz34
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
yea i pm'd trannyman on the gtp forum....still waiting for a response. some people say its really bad for me to have this code, and im only waiting for shit to go wrong/break in the tranny, where as other people say it could be a wiring issue...but i dont know where to start

Batwood
02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't think I've heard of anybody throwing this code that I can remember.
Reluctor wheel is not an easy swap though.

Luminatorz34
02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
yea im just curious if excessive slipping on ice would cause the code to be thrown. because the plow drivers here in town literally suck dirty dingle berried ass hole when it comes to keeping the roads clean here in town. so literally everyone slips and slides every where in town.....

i try to keep my spinning to a minimum as the jerk from catching traction could be very brutal...im gonna get the code cleared tomorrow and see what she does then

85XR7Project
02-09-2011, 07:16 AM
yea im just curious if excessive slipping on ice would cause the code to be thrown. because the plow drivers here in town literally suck dirty dingle berried ass hole when it comes to keeping the roads clean here in town. so literally everyone slips and slides every where in town.....

i try to keep my spinning to a minimum as the jerk from catching traction could be very brutal...im gonna get the code cleared tomorrow and see what she does then
I hear ya on your town plow not doing a good job. Tripoli plow is the same story, always ends up as pure ice....

Luminatorz34
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
im still confused about my gtp...i kinda need to get it going here pretty quick as my truck is going thru 100 bucks in gas a week now back and forth to work

Stutz
02-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh gtps and trans problems. Sometimes you can get really lucky on craigslist before i've found a gtp trans for $75, but then again someone wanted $400 for a trans that needed rebuilt.

Luminatorz34
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
its weird because it still shifts and drives normally. i have to wait till monday to clear the codes and then see what i have from there

Batwood
02-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Clear it and see if it comes back... some shit is just random and means nothing. Like a one time glitch. Unless of course its happened more than once.

Usually you see the "maximum adapt and long shift" or something along those lines for a code. I've broken just about everything there is to break on a w-body car/trans/motor ... and I've never thrown the code you mentioned.

Luminatorz34
02-13-2011, 01:40 PM
yea i was shocked when the code came up. its the first time i had any codes come up. i usually start my car and let it run about 10 mins before i go anywhere. and i get in to see the ses light...had codes pulled, had a random misfire (which i knew about this as it sometimes has a stutter no biggie) had a abs code for my wheel bearing, and the po 716... all of those just from sitting. so maybe it was trying to read when the car was in park? i have no clue...but ill get it cleared and see what it does for me

Luminatorz34
02-15-2011, 12:19 AM
cleared codes, and they stayed out of the car too. which was a relief for me...im just assuming that maybe it got some snow/slush/water spalshed up somewhere that may have thrown the tranny code...