PDA

View Full Version : Donating Plasma

warchild145
02-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Anyone ever donate plasma? And if so, did you go to the biolife place in Cedar Rapids? Thinking of donating and having never done it before, was just curious what it was like and such. I already know all the positives and such to donating but looking for how the experience was at the facility and even thought about using the extra money you obtain from donating to go towards a project car so was curious what could be earned after a visit.

Mainly doing this to help as I see a lot of people that can benefit from donating and I have the time to do so, so figured I would ask before jumping in. Only people I have came across so far that donate or just the people who donate blood so looking for someone with the experience in the plasma dept.

ZacFields
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I've donated before and it was at Biolife in Cedar Rapids.

At my old job, there were a bunch of people doing it and pushing me to do it so I went ahead and did it for about 3 or 4 months. I didn't really need the money, but I was a college student and a little more money wouldn't hurt.

Don't do it for too long because scars will develop on the inside of your elbow. Mine are not noticeable but I know people who did it for years and they almost look like drug addicts from all the puncture scars.

This sounds petty, but the main reason I stopped going (other than not really needing the money) was because I started to feel weird about the other people I would see in there. There were lots of college students like myself... but there were also a lot of people who were doing that as a primary job to help feed their families. I'd run into people from high school who I knew were there for that purpose. It started to bother me because I realized that people might be thinking about me like that.

I know... way petty and very stupid. But that's mostly why I stopped going. In reality, you're doing a good thing and you're getting paid a little bit of money for it. It's a win-win and nothing to be ashamed of. There are plenty of people who go there for various reasons even though they don't need the money.

biohazard
02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I donate here at the Ames Biolife. Pretty much they stick you and you sit for about an hour pumping your hand. It's not too bad, I usually try to strike up a conversation with the phlebotomist, the technician who draws the blood.

I rotate which arm they stick me and I haven't seen any scars yet.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I use to donate fairly regularly, seen Zac quite a few times while out there.

Last time I went (couple years ago now) I guess my vein kept "rolling" so she couldn't get it. she stabbed me like 3-4 times in my left arm, then switched to the right and did the same thing. Then she had to bring someone else over (Adam I think, he went to prairie) so he could dig around in my arm too. after about 10-15 minutes they finally got it but I was so sore I made them stop a few minutes in. had a bruise the size of a baseball for about a week and it hurt like hell.

That was my only bad experience out of probably 50~ times donating. It was bad enough that I have not gone sense though.

Fire Hawk
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I've thought about it but never have donated plasma. I have given blood. My fiance (who's a CMA) states that there is no qualifications needed to get a job working there. She's seen people come in complaining of tingling, numbness, nerve problems after they've donated a couple weeks ago. They will take anyone off the streets, "train them" and let them go to town working. No medical experience needed!!

If you do go donate, I'd try to make sure you get someone who knows what their doing so you don't end up with any problems. Just like with anything else out there, shit can happen... experience and schooling goes a long ways in reducing the number of incidents.

85XR7Project
02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
My wife has been trying to get into the place in Cedar Falls for quite some time but they are booked up for a year and a half out. I still think thats bullshit.

warchild145
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will watch out for the folks who don't seem to know what they are doing. Should be easy to spot them as I'm a paramedic and if they can't hit my veins they probably shouldn't be working there.