PDA

View Full Version : Scam? yes or no?

Krumm
01-29-2011, 11:40 PM
i have my truck for sale on CL and i get stupid emails and just tell them to call the number and thats usually the end of it, never a reply. but i got this reply today.

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Thanks.

sounds kinda like a scam, but i dont know for sure.

Clinical
01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
sounds like a scam to me, constantly avoiding speaking of the actual thing for sale and such

belittle
01-29-2011, 11:54 PM
No one spells/says "advert" this side of the ocean.

AutoMods
01-29-2011, 11:57 PM
probably is a scam, you can give him your paypal address, thats no security risk.

what he'll probably do is pay you and take the truck and then file a chargeback dispute with paypal. paypal will rip it back out of you bank account when the chargeback comes.

i'd suggust if you think he really is a scammer is to take his paypal money but don't give him the truck . that way you piss of the scammer and bust him.

SaNdMaNsSi
01-30-2011, 12:23 AM
It's a scam. With the way Paypal is set up now, all you have to do is click on one bullet point next to a line that says "the item I received is not what I asked for," or the one under that that says "The item is not as decribed" and Paypal instantly reverses the transaction without contacting either party. It's a scam.

Krumm
01-30-2011, 01:15 AM
i find it really shitty that hes claiming to be in the military. oh well, i guess ill just keep waiting for someone to buy my truck.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
i find it really shitty that hes claiming to be in the military. oh well, i guess ill just keep waiting for someone to buy my truck.

I have never once heard any actual military person say "camp". LOL

biohazard
01-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Scam.

clutchmuch
01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Scam I got one that said I insisted onpaypal because the same thing I said you can send the money through PayPal but as a gift because you can't get refunds or meet in person. No reply lol

Batwood
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
No one spells/says "advert" this side of the ocean.

Oddly enough, this is usually the first thing that makes me ignore an email.

When you post on craigslist, click the button to hide your email.

In your ad, just put "reply to XXXXX AT hotmail.com"

That way you wont get spam.

Drifte
01-30-2011, 05:02 PM
def scam. Easy to scam him first though too. This sentence alone says it all "It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it"

paypal is horrible with how easy they make a charge back.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
FYI... when paypal does a "charge back" they DO NOT give the money back to the buyer. They pull the money from the seller and basically hold it until they figure everything out. I have bee on both sides of a transaction such as this, I got my money both times.

AutoMods
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
paypal will take your money back but if your drain your bank account they can't. however i'm not sure if your bank would hold you liable. paypal will also black list you therefore i don't do this method.

it if was me i'd take his money and keep it until he proved he wasn't a scammer or until paypal took it back. worst case scenerio paypal will just take ur money back but you can lose $15 from a chargeback that some credit card companies charge if they used their cc through paypal. they have 45 days to make a claim through paypal unless a cc company overides that date which can happen. sometime people with stolen cards or accounts don't know about it for after 45 days.

over the years I have won $1k-2k from website purchases that i knew were fraudulent so i just took the money and never ship. and nobody claimed the money fast enough. i don't feel bad about it because the credit card companies or paypal have to pay for it not the consumer. and cc companies need to improve their security its their own fault. but i've also lost $3-$4k due to professinal scammers or smaller orders I don't verify as strictly. got to play the game

sparkles
01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

ZacFields
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I love baiting scammers.

They call me the master-baiter.

SaNdMaNsSi
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
FYI... when paypal does a "charge back" they DO NOT give the money back to the buyer. They pull the money from the seller and basically hold it until they figure everything out. I have bee on both sides of a transaction such as this, I got my money both times.

Not anymore. Now it goes straight back to the buyer. I had to do it on ebay a month or so ago, and a friend of mine did it last week. Instant money back in our accounts, no questions asked. Horrible for any seller if the buyer isn't honest.

TbTalon94
01-31-2011, 06:24 AM
I say e-mail him back and say send it as a gift and keep it.