PDA

View Full Version : What wideband do you guys use

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
What wideband do you guys use

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
I use aem in my rx7 3ft from the turbo, used to use techedge which was good but outdated. I may run a 2nd wideband because they are so cheap nowadays, may stick in an innovate or ngk to verify my aem and put it closer like 1.5 feet away from the turbo.

Deimos
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
FAST here

Ricky
01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
AEM. From Import Evolution.

Clinical
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Innovate here, although I think I liked the AEM out of the talon more.

boostedsohc
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
been rocking aem for about year and half now. 2 sensors in

Xboosted23X
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
AEM in the evo. Used to have a PLX in the talon. both worked fine.

69gt4speed
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Lol... I suppose I could use a taylor scan tool on the 2011 as it has wb sensors already. lol. I crawled under it and unscrewed the sensors and they did have 4 wires or so, I should have counted. I was concerned when I screwed them back in the x/or pipe I didn't twist the wire too much so twist opposite then comes out mo or less straight as I didn't have a bunch of black wire ties around that day. Honestly need to plug the sct in and if like diablo predator u can see o2 sensors on that switching around 14.7/1, don't know if my cheap sct can actually read o2 values. The 03 I have a lm1 still. Sorry for the long post but electronic process controls were my forte once. So am really interested how this new 2011 ecu works.

FiFdYnUtZ
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
HAHA scotty t snap on scan tool ftw!!! nnovate here...

c_mart_28
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I had an LM1 in my FC...I'll have one installed come spring..just depends on what I end up doing over the winter.

stangvortech
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a dual fast but I dont think I will ever get it in.

DustinsDuster
01-13-2011, 06:47 PM
i used Scotty's old LM1 in my Duster back when; and liked it. probably go with an AEM eventually in my truck though.

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
From what I sell, aem and innovate are the leaders in sales figures. aem is simple and has no free air calibration required however others say the free air calibration ability is a plus. I read a bunch of reviews and seemed like aem had less complaints so i went with that.

Ecmtuning prefers the innovate over the aem for ecmlink/dsmlink tuning on mitsus. Tom and dave are geniuses . this is a good read http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/aemwb

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I had an LM1 in my FC...I'll have one installed come spring..just depends on what I end up doing over the winter.

What mods does the manual shootout champion have for us next year?

FiFdYnUtZ
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
free air calibration has been annoying to me, esp. with how many times i drop my ORY when i change trannys

Sleeping
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I had nothing but problems with my aem never did figure it out. Tested the sensor and what not. With the new car Ill probably just go with the lc-1

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
how is your car doing, take some pics and start a project thread

AutoMods
01-13-2011, 09:30 PM
free air calibration has been annoying to me, esp. with how many times i drop my ORY when i change trannys

i can't remember but don't you have to do the free air calibration during the first install to calibrate the sensor with the controller and then only every 6 months or so as the sensor ages because its reading change slightly with age?

c_mart_28
01-14-2011, 09:59 AM

What mods does the manual shootout champion have for us next year?
Lol. I don't think much in the way of power mods..

More to do with the ecu..not real content with the limitations of the xcal2. Miss the Haltech I haf on the rx7. Whatever I do though, there will be a build thread..

FiFdYnUtZ
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm not positive on the "rules" with it but any time I had it exposed to open air I could re-calibrate it

Drifte
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Ran AEM, no problems. If one of them came with green back lighting- black face that would be the deal sealer for me.

TbTalon94
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I've used Innovative, PLX, AEM, Zietronix.

Really liked the AEM and PLX units. They are compact, easy to install and don't require a calibration. Innovative has some pretty good units out that go beyond your average wideband support. Zietronix has a good interface showing multiple inputs but hasn't really came out with anything new in awhile.

Always happy with the AEM wideband.

slow ride
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I think the NGK's come with a NTK sensor now (or works with both) which always lasted longer than the Bosch stuff. Not sure if it's an issue anymore though.

qoncept
01-18-2011, 06:33 AM
i can't remember but don't you have to do the free air calibration during the first install to calibrate the sensor with the controller and then only every 6 months or so as the sensor ages because its reading change slightly with age?
I hadn't calibrated mine in 3 years till last month and it was still very close.

Scott
01-18-2011, 07:34 AM
I use a innovate LM-1, well I have a innovate installed in my car anyway but I havent been able to download the log for a couple years since my old laptop with the serial port took a crap on me. It works great and I have the LMA-3 add on which can log bascially any sensor you want to hook up to it. It very universal IF your resourcefull with computers and wiring and stuff. You can hook any gauge up to it, autometer, innovate, voltmeter whatever the heck you want and hardwire the box into the car hidden somewhere.

With a nitrous engine all you really need to keep the car alive is a slow tuning approach and reading plugs ALOT so I havent had a actual need for the wideband but it would be nice to record plug pictures along with wideband reading for reference at least

I will spend some time with it this winter and see if I can get a serial-USB adapter working then I plan on logging G-force, suspension travel, driveshaft RPM, engine rpm, fuel pressure nitrous pressure and head temp in addition to the o2's. I expect alot more gain from logging chassis behavior than from engine stuff honestly

qoncept
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Scott, I used a cheapo serial->usb adapter from ebay with my LC-1. Never had an issue, I think I might have had to install drivers. I now have one analog output wired to an unused 5v ECU input and log with RomRaider and the other to an AFR gauge, so I'll rarely need the serial cable unless I want to reprogram.

Scott
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Scott, I used a cheapo serial->usb adapter from ebay with my LC-1. Never had an issue, I think I might have had to install drivers. I now have one analog output wired to an unused 5v ECU input and log with RomRaider and the other to an AFR gauge, so I'll rarely need the serial cable unless I want to reprogram.

Sounds like a decent set-up there, I take it you cant playback the log file without a computer or does the LC-1 do playback?? I just cant watch the gauge when going down the track and the street is useless for tuning for me

qoncept
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Oh, nope, gotta have a computer for playback. The LC-1 doesn't have any logging capabilities built in. The latest OpenPort cable for Subaru/DSM has an SD slot and 5v input for logging without a computer. I really need to get one.

I don't know what's available for Fords but once you have all your engine params in a single log you'll never go back. Can you log from your ECU at all? If so, there are a lot of spreadsheets and tools to combine your LM-1 log with your ECU log. So (at the very least) you could get a cheap VAG-COM cable on ebay, log ODB-II (which should cover most of what you'd want to tune), log AFR and, say RPM (or something to reference against the odb-ii log) and then you could combine everything in to a single log with one of those spreadsheets.

Scott
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
The logger I have installed in my fox body which is a carb'd nitrous car so it doesnt have a computer, just need a good working stand alone data-logger and I really cant afford the race-pak or anything similar to that right now. I might have to hit you up when I start messing around with it again because Im not real good with the computer stuff, I got to the point where I could download a log but it would display real time data and now I cant even download the log using the same serial-USB adapter I was using before. Im almost to the point of buying one of the innovate products with the SD card and chaining the LMA-3 to record to that instead but Im afraid to spend money on this set-up just to have the same problems. Like I said it works as a wideband by itself but I need to record chassis measurements more than I need wideband information after a run.

qoncept
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Ah, gotcha. We obviously have very different goals. :) At one point we were talking about finding an ADC with USB interface you could use to log from any abritrary sender. I think the ones I was looking at were 5 and 10 channels. Then you just need to know voltage scaling and you can log it pretty easily. The point is finding something that isn't horribly expensive (we're talking < $100)

Scott
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
yeah I dont have a issue with setting up sensors, its just a issue with tranfering the log files into the computer. I know it can be done but I tried scouring innovate forums that are very informative but nothing worked. 100 bucks is no biggie I just am trying to avoid having to pay the 4k+ price tag for the high end stuff.

Drifte
01-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I think I may try this one next.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/images/MTXL_All_Web.jpg

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

Not in a dsm anymore so I dont need it to , but it can read down to 7.35:1 afr. AKA hydrolock lol. Comes with two different length cables, so for a short run you dont have 6 ft of wire rolled up under the dash.

qoncept
01-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I got that email last night, Colton. Looks interesting. The price is right, and less to wire than an LC-1 AND gauge. I wonder if the serial output is the same as the LC-1 so we could read it in RomRaider..

Jappbox
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Ive allways used AEM, The viper has 2 built in. I used to have a Inovate for tuneing cars that didnt have a wide band, but sold it cause noone was wanting tuned.

z28z34man
01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
What I want is an inexpensive data logger for a carbed car. The medieval computer and all associated sensors and wiring is long gone so I can't use any of that. The main things I want to log is afr, vacuum, rpm, and throttle position.

I am thinking the Zeitronix is the best option for me but I don't know

qoncept
01-22-2011, 05:30 PM
AFR you can do with Innovate software. An ADC could be used with any electronic boost sensor. Does the car have a throttle position sensor? If so you could use an ADC with that, too.

AutoMods
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
innovate might be better supported . look at the innovate aux box. that might be able to do all that iirc. I can order one for you if you find out it meets your needs

Scott
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
innovate might be better supported . look at the innovate aux box. that might be able to do all that iirc. I can order one for you if you find out it meets your needs

auxbox has all that built in, you just have to configure something for your throttle position, but logging vacum is almost the same thing if you dont have any boost. I used vacum as a TPS on my data logger. As long as you can make it work with your computer it works great

z28z34man
01-24-2011, 06:55 AM
AFR you can do with Innovate software. An ADC could be used with any electronic boost sensor. Does the car have a throttle position sensor? If so you could use an ADC with that, too.

no but all i need to do is mount 1/4 turn pot to the primary butterflies feed it 5 volts and throttle position will be the wiper voltage

do you happen to know where i can find a relatively inexpensive adc

qoncept
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
No, that's the problem and since I haven't needed one I kind of gave up. I found a lot of chips you could use to make one but I don't know anything about electronics. If you go to the hackaday.com forums they could probably tell you where to find one though.

Scott
01-25-2011, 07:37 AM
There are companies that make TPS for carbs, bolt on deals made for data logging. Like I said if you have a MAP on a non-boosted car it basically tells you throttle position

z28z34man
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
There are companies that make TPS for carbs, bolt on deals made for data logging. Like I said if you have a MAP on a non-boosted car it basically tells you throttle position

It dose show up in wide open throttle as 0 vacuum or very close to it but in cruse it can vary widely depending on terrain at the same throttle position. The way I figure you can never have too much data.

Scott
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

It dose show up in wide open throttle as 0 vacuum or very close to it but in cruse it can vary widely depending on terrain at the same throttle position. The way I figure you can never have too much data.

Thats very true, but when tuning a carb throttle position still isnt that important.. Most of your carb adjustments will be RPM and load related whether its jetting, Power valves, air bleeds, idle adjustment

Scott
01-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Im not saying its a bad idea!! Im just saying if your just trying to get the driveability good or work the bugs out of it as easy as possible it might not be nessecary. But hey if you want it because you can and want one more line on your graph then I say go for it, definetly cant hurt anything

z28z34man
01-27-2011, 07:18 AM
i have lots of fancy adjustments on my proform and i know it isn't anywhere close to dialed in and i will probably will never get it perfect and i am probably being way to picky for a high 12 second car at best

qoncept
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I just found out one of the guys on the Subaru forum is working on creating a data logger to monitor temps under the hood before and after he ceramic coats different exhaust bits. It'll have 8 channels and can really read any 5v source. He's going to see how it goes and I'm trying to talking him in to selling them.