PDA

View Full Version : should i get a zo6 cam or a custom turbo cam?

AutoMods
01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
well lots of people use the 02-04 zo6 cam for about $100 shipped or should I get a custom grind one for around $400 ???

I don't want to get too crazy with the cam, shouldn't need one too big with a turbo setup.

anyone local have a zo6 cam for sale?

Clinical
01-09-2011, 01:02 AM
if you aren't in a hurry, there's a guy here with a c6 z06 sending his car off to get heads/cam at a shop down south and may be willing to sell his cam then but i know he has no set date yet, just sometime in the spring.

Deimos
01-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Depends if your changing your setup if you are going to be keeping your setup for a while I would say custom. Otherwise I would go Z06. BTW never buy a used cam that is just stupid and bad sauce.

slow ride
01-09-2011, 07:32 AM
ZO6 cam is not worth it as I've probably told you. since it's your play car you would want a little lope, but with a stock cube ls1 something in the low-mid 220's duration wise with a little softer lobe than the NA guys like. Don't want the springs to get beat to death trying to close valves with agressive lobes with boost behind them.

It would be nice to do a little clean up port work on the heads, but not required. I'd say on you set up the cam would pick up 40-50hp up top and not lose much if any down low. Do the cam, intercooler and more down pipe and that thing will make some jam. And when you need it forged we can figure something out ;)

Sledge_WS6
01-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I've seen a few forced induction people on tech getting throwing a custom grind ZR1 spec cam for their LS1/LS6 set ups.

AutoMods
01-09-2011, 09:05 AM
parish gained 100whp at the same boost level from the 5.3 cam to zo6 http://www.ls1tech.com/affiliates/truck ... p?t=393636 (http://www.ls1tech.com/affiliates/truck/forums/showthread.php?t=393636)

http://www.neufamily.org/images/fairmontgallery/zo6dynopumpgas.GIF

slow ride
01-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Bla a truck cam is much smaller than even your current ls1 cam. You see he didn't go to a zo6 cam with the g8 though. He went for a wide split (common with ls3/l92 heads) mid teens intake low 20's exhaust. The ls3 style heads flow a lot better on the intake so they are usually set up with a wide split like this to balance out the flow characteristics of the heads. On a ls1 something like I stated above would be comparable to his current cam in the g8. Don't look into it so much just trust me :)

FiFdYnUtZ
01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Mamamia, he would need a c5 z06 cam, not c6...

I'd just have someone like pat g on tech spec you a cam, the z06 cam wouldn't be worth the trouble of a cam swap imo...and don't bother porting your 241s just get some 243's

Clinical
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
ahh i only say the 04 and i thought 04 was the first year of the c6, nevermind

stangvortech
01-09-2011, 01:59 PM
the 5.3 cam is weak as hell that is why he picked up the hp. I say keep you cam and save the money for the bottom end!

DustinsDuster
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
the 5.3 cam is weak as hell that is why he picked up the hp. I say keep you cam and save the money for the bottom end!

i dont think its a money factor holding him back. if nothing else i would think itd be a time issue; just not having enough to really dive that deep into the car. and besides, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

AutoMods
01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
yea i'll have to look into that pat g guy. seems like a lot of people like him

Don't look into it so much just trust me :)

i'm not a doubter. The Ed-cyclopedia is rarely wrong. send me a link if you run across one you think i should buy

one thing i find interesting is that in the Import market, seems like most cam grinds are on the shelf ready to go and most buyers are satisfied with that. with the lsx motors a lot of the vendors love to offer custom grinds to people. the good thing with off the shelf is they are well tested/tweaked/proven, on the other hand i can see custom tailored having its pros.

slow ride
01-10-2011, 06:58 AM
None of the little adjustments are going to make or break your setup. It's just a range where you want to be in. Hell you could have a medium/large cam like my NA z's in a turbo ls motor no problem, but it better have a large turbo and be set up to spin and take advantage of the high rpm power. Everything needs to match to make the combo shine. Displacemnt, heads, cam, turbo, exhaust, etc, etc. Remember I set up my own cam and a few others and it's not every day a stock casting 243 383 make 500+whp with a stock water pump, 3.90 gears and heavy repo wheels on 92 octane.

I think the custom cam stuff is driven by the NA guys more than anything. You can maximize you DCR with valve events to get the most out of the NA setup. With boost it's just a screw turn away for the most part. Check into Speed inc, ECS, virgina speed, etc to get an idea of the different blower/turbo cams out there. On a mild setup I would just run something in the mid 220 duration range with LSA in the mid teens.

black88gt
01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
The custom will yield more power with better driveability. if you're not going to be changing your setup why leave more on the table?