PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rust on Cylinder Walls

Batwood
12-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I pulled the heads off my motor and put a cam in it a month ago... maybe two.
I covered the top of the motor up and everything, but it looks like it has very very slight surface rust forming on a couple small areas in the cylinders that the piston is down on.

I put some assembly lube on the inside of the cylinder walls.
I read you can use some fine steel wool to clean it up.

Its not pitted at all yet. You can just barely feel the scale when it was dry.

Will some fine steel wool and oil or something be ok to clean it up?
Its not even all the way down the cylinders, just a little triangular area on the back side of 3 or 4 of them.

TbTalon94
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Use some scotch brite and some coca cola. Should come right off.

Deimos
12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I've heard tranny fluid works wonders too

sLoWnStEaDy
12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
scotch brite and Trans fluid works pretty good. Sta-bil "fogging oil" is the shit for preventing surface rust. When I built my modular motor, I covered every cylinder with it. It sat for a couple months at my place, then a few months at the new owners house and there wasn't a speck of rust on the walls AT ALL. It was also wrapped in plastic the whole time with 2lbs of silica gel but...

sparkles
12-26-2010, 07:44 PM
WD40 and a hone?

TbTalon94
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
nah i wouldn't hone it. Just try to rub some soda on it with a fine grit scotch brite. It'll come right off, i promise.

Clinical
12-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Mine had a really tiny line of what appeared to be surface rust on one of the cylinder walls when I pulled the head, since it was already there I just cleaned it was well as I could, it's still there but much lighter. I'm assuming it'll be okay

Scott
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I've heard tranny fluid works wonders too

I've always used tranny fluid to clean the cylinder walls, I would try the least harsh stuff first, trans fluid and a good quality rag from a body shop. If that dont work I would try some fine scotch brite with trans fluid next

K-ville
12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
chainsaw and a hammer should clean it right up

AutoMods
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
piston rings will clean that right up

Batwood
12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
chainsaw and a hammer should clean it right up

Guess I'll have to borrow a chainsaw. Would an electric one be ok?

piston rings will clean that right up

I figured this, but I didn't want to damage them.
I'll clean what I can and let the rings do the rest, I guess.
I'm not real worried because its not bad.

Waiting on Sperry's to get my heads done so I can put this special-ed project back together.

slow ride
12-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Hell a lot might come off with wd40 and a paper towel

sLoWnStEaDy
12-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Waiting on Sperry's

You know the world is suppose to end in 2012, Hopefully you can get this project done by then. He has had some modular junk of mine for about 6 months now...

JacobS
12-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Waiting on Sperry's

You know the world is suppose to end in 2012, Hopefully you can get this project done by then. He has had some modular junk of mine for about 6 months now...

have you called him? i took my stuff in there and got it back in a month. you just need to keep in contact and let him know youre still alive and remind him.

thats the way it was for me at least.

69gt4speed
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Seriously what I did and work has this scotchbrite stuff, (the green) want a piece let me know.... Green scotchbrite and a 1/8" s.s. welding rod and cordless drill. Now a redneck hone, cut a piece of scotch brite like 2" wide and say 5 to 6" long then take the welding rod and bend about 2.5" back upon itself then center the scotchbrite in rod and chuck into drill, insert setup in bore and use wd40 as lube then polish it up. I've had some good success this way. Keep wiping down bore w wd40 and a good brand paper towel till all rust gone, then motor oil the bore for storage. I could make the whole deal and you pickup outside the drill of course. Faster rpm the better. I might add after best cleaning I like to rotate crank and reclean any other rust out. Another thing squirt the wd40 in and let sit before you even try to turn it over. I do this if possible for any rusted part, bolts or etc.

Even do this for weeks, well try taking off a 68 mustang d/d original fender in 1989. That deal I used jb 80 for a month. Lil bro and I were mighty happy it came apart w/o stripping, galling or breaking off sheet metal.

Rust = sandpaper in itself, sure rings will clean it up but it will wear them. Ask my lil bro he did that on his bbc nova and yes it was locked up, he pulled plugs, squirted in wd40 and oil and w big break over bar spun it and later ran it, but top rings were shot, pieces of moly had came out of top ring and ruined them. I saw it myself. So w new rings and all, engine was ok once again.

Hey sorry so long but I hate broken stuff. I'm lazy and cheap.

Batwood
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Waiting on Sperry's

have you called him? i took my stuff in there and got it back in a month. you just need to keep in contact and let him know youre still alive and remind him.

thats the way it was for me at least.

I call Sperry's every day on my lunch hour. Supposed to have them magnafluxed 2 weeks ago. In fact, I'll call them right now.