PDA

View Full Version : Whats better Ball bearing or Hybrid turbo

oVa-Boost
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
What is a better choice of turbocharger Ball bearing or Hybrid and whats the difference in the two

SaNdMaNsSi
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I went with both...I have a hybrid ball bearing. If I'm not mistaken, hybrids just have a different hot and cold side.....Mine is a 50 hot, 40 cool if I remember right. It's been a long time since I've paid any attention to turbo stuff.

Drifte
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
sandman is right. Your bearing choices are ball bearing or journal bearing, and slight variations of those (single or dual ball bearing etc). Journal is far cheaper, rebuildable, but spools slower.

The hybrid is a combination of different turbine and compressor wheels like sandman said.

AutoMods
12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
hybrid can mean different brands like a garrett wheel put on a mitsubishi turbo.

It can also mean t3/t4 hybrid which is a hybrid because it mixes the t3 family of turbine wheels with the t4 family of compressor wheels which is so common nowdays its not really a special hybrid anymore they are just being built like that from the factory.

AutoMods
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
don't quote me on this but somewhere around 50mm compressor wheels and larger are in the t4 family of compressor wheels. Smaller would be t3 series.

And on the turbine side the smallest t4 wheel is I think the p trim wheel which is 65mm inducer. Other t4 wheels are Q trim, S trim and others that have no name. t3 turbine wheels have the names like stage 2, 3 and 5.

Then you have t3 turbine flange and t4 turbine flange which some people confuse. You can actually have a straight t4 turbo (both comp and turbine wheels) and have a t3 flange pattern. The naming is just crazy and different manufactures use them differently, its just best to get wheel dimensions.

This naming is with Garrett , Turbonetics, Master Power and probably others. Mitsubishi brands are different and I'm not sure about Borg Warner and Comp.

oVa-Boost
12-23-2010, 09:38 PM
gotcha i was wondering because i was looking to buy the fp Green turbo now since its such a good deal! :supz:

AutoMods
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
how much is it?

oVa-Boost
12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
its $999.00 for the turbo or $1149.00 with
FP GREEN™ Turbocharger w/ External Wastegate
# DSM Gasket Set
# FP 255lph Fuel Pump
# FP Race Manifold
# DSM Manifold to Head Gasket

TbTalon94
12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
There are ALOT better turbos to buy then the old school to green. Ask Ryan. The dsm Bolton turbo market is so huge you have every option.

A ball bearing bolt on 50-trim would spank a green in spool and power.

AutoMods
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
If you want to make a long term investment you can switch to the t3 turbine flange pattern and that opens the door to off the shelf turbos from garrett, turbonetics, comp, borg warner, etc. Instead of custom ones that fewer companies make. That would require a new t3 manifold and moving to the standard 4 bolt o2 housing pattern.

Then you have access to $600 50 trims journal bearings from both garrett and turbonetics that I can get you. Ball bearing for $900.

Otherwise pte has bolt on mitsus for $750.

oVa-Boost
12-24-2010, 02:41 PM
im running a fwd auto dsm and figure the fp green kit was a good deal im not a fan of turbonetics brand i rather do pte bb turbo bolt on thats kinda what im looking for and im going to spray it since it will lag a bit off the line so i was looking into that set up or like a holset hx35 7 blade with bep hotside

Drifte
12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
im running a fwd auto dsm and figure the fp green kit was a good deal im not a fan of turbonetics brand i rather do pte bb turbo bolt on thats kinda what im looking for and im going to spray it since it will lag a bit off the line so i was looking into that set up or like a holset hx35 7 blade with bep hotside

You dont know the basics of turbo's but you have pretty strong opinions on what you want? Dont believe everything you read on the internet...or so far, forget what you have read except whats in this thread. You want to run a mitsu housing theres your choke on the entire setup. going to cost more and limit you in the end. Gonna go T3 ball bearing, 50 trim size, the Turbonetics will be the best price. And if its the appearance that gets you, it is available unpolished, so it looks the same as the PTE you want. The PTE is pretty, costs a bit more though.

You plan to run internal gate or external?

TbTalon94
12-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Stick with what they are saying. You're money will be MUCH better spent on a T3 set-up rather then a Mitsu bolt on. Specially a green.

oVa-Boost
12-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I want to do external Tial waste-gate on the o2 housing

AutoMods
12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
damn colton is not taking any shit lately.

I can actually get fp stuff too , just give me a call monday and i'll run some options by ya if your ready to buy.

Turbonetics has some bad reputation from dsm'ers from years ago, dsm'ers are hard on turbos, but i think they've fixed their problems as i hardly ever have warranty claims anymore from turbonetics. PTE actually uses turbonetics turbine wheels now. and as far as the chra, I've had far less problems with turbonetics these past few years. have seen a handfull of pte claims this year but they always honor their warranty. pte has a bunch of newly designed chra's so they might be working out the manufacturing bugs.

the holset stuff just isn't my cup of tea, i'll admit i don't know a ton about them but i think the excitment and claims are based off how cheap they can be had from junkyards. i hear a lot of wild claims about the holsets like how they spool 500-1k faster then a 35r and flow more. i think they are usually phsically a lot bigger then other brands. plus a couple wisemen on tuners run them and they exaggerate and talk them up like crazy every chance they get and so they've really spread in popularity on tuners.

oVa-Boost
12-24-2010, 11:01 PM
gotcha well like i said im wanting to spray it on low end to get the car off the line quick till the turbo hits full boost or a little before full boost and have the turbo do the rest of the work so say run spray from 2k-2500 rpms and shut it off at like 3800rpms or where ever the full boost hits and set the rpm switch lower and ill run a micro switch because my auto tends to lag a lil off the line till hits boost.

69gt4speed
12-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I have heard much better reports from most turbo stang guys about most brands though a couple are claiming garrett is now honeywell and it's now assembled overseas most sizes... I'm pretty sure eco boost is a honeywell/garrett unit. Another cheap turbo the stang guys run is like a mp-t70 master power. It was made in brazil. That's usually what you get for a standard ebay old 5.0 turbo kit. It's a journal turbo btw.

I think you will find most auto/truck co. use a b/b water cooled turbo. U can the do w/o the turbo timer crap and some have extra oil cooling like the diesels. They have a warranty you know to contend with, blowing a seal every few thousand mi like the old gas engines did and pumping in oil like no tomorrow is not acceptable these days..

Drifte
12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
THeres a complete turbo kit sitting at importevolution right now that I think you would enjoy. Turbonetics cast manifold, turbonetics wastegate, turbonetics 50 trim, 3" polished cast intake, and all the oil feed and drain parts you need too. Theres even a 3" k&n for the kit if you run SD.

Anyway, Some dsmer needs to save themselves some time and money and buy this kit.