PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any good camcorders?

Clinical
12-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Under $300?

I'm looking for something with overall decent quality / sound that uses flash memory and doesn't require some retarded process to convert files to use with most media players/editing software. Thats why I love my canon camera, its video format is standard .avi

I want to be able to get some better racing footage this year from the track and other places and my digital camera while it doesnt take BAD video, it just doesn't cut it.

I don't know my camcorders very well, anyone who does please chime in!

n8kerns
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know much about camcorders but I wouldn't let file type hold you back.
Check out http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ Free and easy to use to change pretty much any video file to any common video file.

AutoMods
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I have a sony 30 gig hard drive camera about 3.5 years old when hard drive cameras were first coming out . its all good except i did had to buy the sony vegas studio software to convert the videos to avi or wmv.

I tried a few software programs and non of them worked good except the sony vegas studio. i don't like it when things use proprietary codecs like that, if sony still does that my next camera won't be a sony.

big hard drives are nice though. i don't think i would like the smaller 1 hour 2 hour flash cards that are out there.

Clinical
12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm reading good reviews on canon

When my first Camera powershot's screen broke I bought 4 cameras and returned them, none held a candle to quality and all record in general codecs. I bought the newer PowerShot and it's awesome. I'm reading the same things about their camcorders. Just can't find one under 300 it seems :/

derek072887
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
get a gopro...

ia240drifter
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
i will be getting the go pro automotive unit before next drift season tons of different sticky pods for car mount windproof protective case to deflect any unnecessary wind noise plus water proof to 180 ft. we have had to replace a few different kinds of cameras we mounted to drift cars because of tire debris scratching lenses and getting into the heads causing them to malfunction. this camera seems bullet proof plus it shoots HD. only problem is it uses flash cards so minimal recording at a time.

Xboosted23X
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
I picked up a GoPro on black friday. It is nothing fancy by any means but it does record and you don't get a lot of wind noise. I'm guessing you want to record from the stand and I have no clue about cameras.
The gopro you can put about any where. But it is fixed so that is a downfall. HD is a plus though.
I know some dslr cameras shoot photos and hd video but are out of your price range.

ia240drifter
12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
where did you buy your go pro from? local vendor?

Clinical
12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll look into the gopro
Yeah I'm wanting to record from the stands, and from inside the car from my camera mount and other circumstances :)

Xboosted23X
12-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I got if from a shop in NY that works with dsms/evos. From what I have heard the price is pretty set on gopros. I have noticed that best buy has started carrying them. look on amazon.