PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap

sLoWnStEaDy
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Anyone use it? If so, how...?

I remember reading that you need to coat the pipes, then wrap them, then spray the wrap with something as well? My plan is to use that VHT flame proof, 1200* header paint, then wrap then spray the hi-temp silicone crap over the wrap.

I know the ceramic VHT header paint has to be cured, I picked up a free electric stove off craigslist which should fit everything with out issue. I have used that stuff before, I have just never messed with the header wrap stuff so I thought I would ask.

AutoMods
12-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I just used 2000F wrap and did not use any sprays. Definitely soak the wrap briefly with water, helps a ton. so far this last year its help up fine. haven't see the pipe under it yet though. heard it can promote rust.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I just used 2000F wrap and did not use any sprays. Definitely soak the wrap briefly with water, helps a ton. so far this last year its help up fine. haven't see the pipe under it yet though. heard it can promote rust.

that is my main concern, which is the reason I wanted to coat the pipes before wrapping, thought it might help with that.

Deimos
12-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Havilik was kind of making sound like there is a place that coats headers locally that is cheaper than jet hot

sLoWnStEaDy
12-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Havilik was kind of making sound like there is a place that coats headers locally that is cheaper than jet hot

cheaper than a $10 can of paint? LOL this is just a temporary setup to get it up and running. Come summer I plan to have someone make a nice, mandrel bent, 2.5" hot side for me. this is .25" crush bends, the stock rear section from a GT mustang actually. It had the perfect bends I needed and was $20 so...

Deimos
12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the jet hoat coating I want is like 600 bucks. Of course I am poor so I settle for VHT

AutoMods
12-14-2010, 09:37 PM
www.coolconceptspc.com (http://www.coolconceptspc.com) is local

TbTalon94
12-15-2010, 06:46 AM
You usually just wrap the pipe then seal it with the spray designed for header wrap. I did this on my old 2g and ran the header for a few years and through winter and it still looked new when i took the wrap off.

It wouldn't hurt to coat it, then wrap it, then seal it though.

Drifte
12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
The paint they use for the header wrap, is the same stuff as high temp paint. My ss dowpipe is wrapped, and un sprayed, and holds up great. It's coming off though soon for some work.