PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your ImOn internet?

ZacFields
12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey guys,

Just recently, I got connected with ImOn internet. I previously had Mediacom 12MB/s. With ImOn, I signed up for the 15MB/s plan as well as cable TV.

I've noticed, though, that websites that previously loaded fine for me are suddenly taking longer to load, and downloads especially are taking much longer than they did before (again, depending on the website).

So I went to SpeedTest.net and ran a few speed tests. When I use the closest server (100 miles away) I get 14+MB/s.... excellent result. But the funny thing is that if I pick other locations in the country, I get SIGNIFICANTLY lesser results. We're talking about getting less than 1 or 2 MB/s in some locations.

I know you won't typically get as fast of a speed when you're connecting with a server in, say, California, but I don't remember having this issue with Mediacom. I don't think it's realistic for 15MB/s to go down to under 2MB/s just because the server is in Cali... hell most of the servers are in Cali. And lots are in other countries. If that were the case, then what would be the point in paying for high speed internet in the first place?

Anyone else noticed this when switching from Mediacom to ImOn? I was so excited to get ImOn's internet but I've been fairly disappointed with it so far.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I like it a BILLION times more than Mediacom!! When I was paying an ass load for Mediacom 12MB/s I did a speed test every few weeks and never got more than 1-2MB/s, I think I was as low as .5x and as high as 1.8. Switched to ImOn with their 14MB/S and my last speed test showed over 20MB/s, my dad has the same and I did a speed test at his house and was getting over 30MB/s.

Their cable is much better too but the channels are taking some getting use to! the only thing I was excited about was losing On Demand but they always played the same shit in the 4 years we had MediaCom and honestly, 75%+ of the time VOD didn't even work.

SaNdMaNsSi
12-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I guess I'm leaning in the opposite direction. My brother has IMON and lives less than a mile from me. His internet sucks horribly. When we watch Netflix at his place, it stops repeatedly during movies to load, and the load time is at least 2-3 minutes. It's annoying as hell. I have Mediacom at my house, and yes, I have a very fast package, but it's insane fast for me. I have never had a problem with load times for anything. I download whole movies within an hour. When I play Call of Duty online, people always ask me how my ping is in the low 20's. So, in my opinion, Mediacom easily for the win.

ZacFields
12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
It must depend on your area as well - my Mediacom was terrible. I got decent speeds but they were very patchy. When I'd watch Netflix online it would load quickly but in a 25-minute TV episode (The Office, for example), it would stop 3-4 times to adjust playback. This had only been in the past 6 months or so. Prior to that, I LOVED the internet service I got from Mediacom... it was just like how you described it.

Maybe it's because they just ran line out to my neighborhood last week or something, but I just can't understand why ImOn will connect to a server in Illinois at 14.25MB/s, but connecting to different servers across the country I get almost nothing at all. A server in San Francisco I get 0.30 MB/s and then another server in San Diego I get about 11 MB/s.

I don't get it. I'll wait it out for a little while, but it's frustrating trying to build a website and getting horribly slow load times because your server is located in California, but wondering if it's a server issue, software issue, or my own internet.

SaNdMaNsSi
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
They are probably doing to you what they did when I lived with my parents and they had Mcleod internet. We were really fast at first in Stoney Pt because we were the only house on the street. But 5 years later, 100 or so houses had all been built, and all were connected to the same line as us. As each house went up, you could see your ping dropping little by little. Everyone uses the same internet line over there, i'm sure to save the company money. I live just off of Wilson ave, over by the new 33rd ave bridge....my internet has been amazing since day one, so I don't know what to tell you. They even built a huge housing development across the street from me the last 2 years, and I've seen no drop at all. If I had, I'd complain or switch companies. Even if you signed a year contract, its a breech of contract for them to not supply you with what you are paying for. If I were you, I'd be calling and complaining. If you are paying for 16mb/s internet, just as an example, but your speed is constantly running at 2mb/s, they need to be giving you dialup rates, because that's really what you are paying for.

Batwood
12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
ImOn seems to be very very tempramental.
Sometimes its super fast and sometimes its slow as balls.

Oddly enough, my laptop seems to work faster than my desktop.
(That might be the IE8 vs Chrome though... )

69gt4speed
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I really think depends on location in town time of day and whether we have lot of sunspots. Old place in nw was mostly good, here in ne it is bad. Even work w a t3 connection isn't all that most the time but better than here. Idk why bottom line. Was kidding about sunspots.

I agree way back in old days, napster time it was very quick in n.e. Ya I'd say they have put on 100's of homes on same connection since then.

Snowman
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
I think the thing to remember when doing those speed tests, is that you're not the only person using that server. California is a bit more populated than our midwest. With that being said, I use mediacom, and use the max service. I've never been happy with the upload speeds that mediacom offers. However, I can play lag free on XBL while my Fiancee streams hulu/netflix in the living room.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1069711837.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Here is one using San Diego.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1069715947.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

These were also done with two computers connected and being used. I was streaming YouTube while doing both of those.

Scott
12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I switched from Mediacom to IMON and didnt notice a difference in internet speed at all, I never checked the speed though, XBL and downloading movies seem very close to me. The dam bills at IMON of course keep getting higher, I keep taking channels off and threatening to leave them so they give me discounts for another 6 months but I think they're all theives whether it be mediacom or imon or anyone else

ZacFields
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I spoke with ImOn today - I was told that they're now giving a different kind of modem to folks who have the 15MB or higher plan. I didn't really understand what the new modem does, but the old modem allows "2" of something, and the new modem allows "4." That's about as detailed as I can get.

But a buddy of mine who had been having the same problem got his new modem today and he says it fixed the problem completely.

The technician also noted that ImOn currently has more demand than they have supply for bandwidth, but they're in negotiations to double their supply, which should also help.

ZacFields
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
I switched from Mediacom to IMON and didnt notice a difference in internet speed at all, I never checked the speed though, XBL and downloading movies seem very close to me. The dam bills at IMON of course keep getting higher, I keep taking channels off and threatening to leave them so they give me discounts for another 6 months but I think they're all theives whether it be mediacom or imon or anyone else

I think Mediacom is a little more expensive right now than ImOn. A buddy of mine had the promotional deal with Mediacom and he said it was still like $90+ per month for internet and cable after all the taxes and fees. My promotional period at ImOn is going to cost me like $75/month.

The nice thing about having access to two different cable companies is that you can bounce back and forth between them and take advantage of the promotional periods if you need to. I think with Mediacom, you only have to be away for 6 months before you qualify for their promotions again.