PDA

View Full Version : Buildin' a chopper!

sLoWnStEaDy
12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Went out to the in-laws today to finish up the shop before I start moving the big stuff in. Dave said something about tearing the apartment area out of there and making that another little shop. He asked what I would like to do in there if we did and I said that I have always wanted to build a chopper.

Long story short, he has decided we are going to build a chopper over the winter. I had that place tore down and cleared out in about 45 minutes! drywall, frames for the bedrooms, everything except the bathroom which we are keeping in there, he was pretty shocked! He just ran to one of his job sites to grab a saws-all and sledge hammers and stuff so we could start on it. when he came back, it was done! LOL Used a crowbar, a claw hammer and a 5lb~ maul.

Anyways, we are both into the old school stuff but I think he wants a soft tail. Only thing I really care about is having a huge rear tire, skinny ass front tire and a decent amount of rake. Should be fun! I am sure I will be making a build thread on it when we get going.

Scott
12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Went out to the in-laws today to finish up the shop before I start moving the big stuff in. Dave said something about tearing the apartment area out of there and making that another little shop. He asked what I would like to do in there if we did and I said that I have always wanted to build a chopper.

Long story short, he has decided we are going to build a chopper over the winter. I had that place tore down and cleared out in about 45 minutes! drywall, frames for the bedrooms, everything except the bathroom which we are keeping in there, he was pretty shocked! He just ran to one of his job sites to grab a saws-all and sledge hammers and stuff so we could start on it. when he came back, it was done! LOL Used a crowbar, a claw hammer and a 5lb~ maul.

Anyways, we are both into the old school stuff but I think he wants a soft tail. Only thing I really care about is having a huge rear tire, skinny ass front tire and a decent amount of rake. Should be fun! I am sure I will be making a build thread on it when we get going.

Sounds like a sweet project, I learned ALOT about choppers in the last 2 months form working on mine and reading stuff. One thing I recomend is NOT starting with one of those 2500 rolling chassis, lots of cheap parts with them that dont fit worth a crap. The bike I traded for had alot of cheap parts in it and I ended up replacing them for decent stuff and made some of my own controls on the lathe. Im having a hard time picturing what a old school style bike with a fat rear tire would look like

Drifte
12-03-2010, 07:32 AM
I want to put a sport bike swingarm and wheel on my bobber, if you end up collecting parts lemme know if you get one.