PDA

View Full Version : F*CK Tuffy's!!

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Apparently their labor fee is like $1500/hr. I ran out of wire for my welder and needed a 2"~ bead to finish it up. I ran to the closest place (Tuffy's) to have it welded up, thinking it would be free or maybe $5 like every single other time I have had Denny's or Professional Muffler or Big Jims weld shit for me. So after about a minute it is welded up and they charged me like $25.

I was pissed, started talking shit then said, you know what, it's my fault for not asking before hand but DAMN that is bullshit! I didn't want to run and buy new wire because I am trying to get this header finished and shipped and that weld needed to be finished before I could package it obviously... Not only that but he didn't run bead at all, he just threw down like 20 tacks instead so it looks like ass...

Sorry, I am pissed because I was barely making money on these headers before I paid those clowns. Oh, an another thing that pissed me off was the guy laughing that the paper work took longer than the actual labor! I was there for at least 10-15 minutes.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
because I am sure someone will say something. YES, I know shit costs money these days but that is ridiculous!! Professional Muffler installed a single in/dual out muffler, tail pipes and tips, all welded and they charged me $20. Denny's did some finish welding on a piece I had all tacked up, took them about 20 minutes and they charged me like $15.

I could have gotten a fucking 10lb spool and done it myself for what I paid them to run a row of tacks...

AutoMods
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
i'd charge a minimum of $10 just to break out the welder. but yea $25 is too high for a 2" bead

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 11:29 AM
i'd charge a minimum of $10 just to break out the welder. but yea $25 is too high for a 2" bead

wasn't even 2" and he didn't run a bead. It was 13 tacks, I counted before I packaged it up. I guess I am just use to nice people. I weld shit for people all the time for free, I have dealt with a few shops so much that they just let me use their equipment and I toss 'em $10 or I have some pizza delivered to them, shit like that.

TbTalon94
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
since it was Mig welding, $25 is way too much for that little of work.

However we charge a $20/minimum for Tig. Unless you have gotten other stuff previously or just need something patched quick.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I think my whole problem with spending money is that I can do 99.99% of the shit I pay people to do, I just don't always have the time. Sometimes it is well worth the money spent (like when you made up my FMIC and radiator mounts and those dual alt. brackets) but other times, like this, it is just ridiculous!

I literally could have bought a spool of wire and had it done for less money and less time. not to mention I would have ran a bead and not just tacked the balls out of it. IDK, I just haven't paid for anything since High School and even then, I was paying other people a very reasonable amount for both parties.

Scott
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Stitch welding isnt really "hacking" it together, its a way to get more heat into the weld with less chance of burning through. Either way yeah its a little pricey for what they did. I can understand bashing businesses if they REALLY screwed you over for hundreds or thousands of dollars but bashing a place for a 25$ bill and not messing anything up I would say you must just be having a bad day and need to chill a little. You might have better luck walking in with a 6 pack and asking if they can weld it for that!!

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm having a pretty good day actually. sold about $800 worth of stuff, got a 93,6% on one final and 89.7% on the other, got some parts in for the RX7 and the Mach One, got a GREAT deal on a set of tires for the '08 F150.

this was the only "issue" I have had all day. It just goes back to me being spoiled I guess. Most places I go to, the people know me and I have either spent enough money there or I have helped them out in some way or something and I never have to pay for the little shit. Like Sperry's, why would I spend thousands there when they can't do a simple $10/20 minute job in a timely manner.

I will always go to the people who treat me right and don't nickel and dime me to death.

allgo
11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Not to be a smart ass but it sounds like you wanted to nickel and dime them to death by only paying 5 to $10...but I think you learned a lesson always ask up front how much!!

sLoWnStEaDy
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Not to be a smart ass but it sounds like you wanted to nickel and dime them to death by only paying 5 to $10...but I think you learned a lesson always ask up front how much!!

I don't think $10 or even $5 for that matter is bad for literally ONE minute of work. That is $300-$600 an hour at that rate! Not like they where welding with 24k gold or something. The welder was out, the guy was standing around, doing nothing, there was one car on a lift with two other guys working on it.

I am not saying Tuffy's is the worst place on earth and everyone should boycott them because they charged me 4-5 times what I was expecting. I am simply venting my frustration because when I was venting to the guy at the counter, he was laughing. I think that pissed me off more than anything, the fact he was laughing about the paper work costing the company more and taking more time than the actual work done.

I understand businesses are out to make a profit but DAMN! Say that guy get's like $10/hr, for one minute of work, that is like $0.17 the company paid him for that work. The wire cost probably $0.03 if that, the gas, lets say $0.25 (no chance in hell) and electricity we will say $0.50 (again, NO way in hell) that is $0.95 it cost them, they charged me $25, that's MINIMUM 2405% profit... BP ain't even touch these guys! LOL

Deimos
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Dude he probably made a dollar doing that if it makes you feel any better.

Domestic Disturbance
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Which Tuffy's? I only ask cause I worked at the one on 1st ave by Emilios, and can honestly say they are some of the best guys I worked with. Never did I feel like they were ripping anyone off or half assing anything. And honestly, of course a muffler shop will do it cheaper. Thats what they do. Tuffy's will do exhaust, but doesn't really market themselves as a muffler shop as its not their expertise, so the rates will be higher. Same with if you want them to rebuild a trans, they would say yes but mysak would still be cheaper.

And if the guy was laughing, its probably how he reacts to pressure if someone is giving him attitude to help ease the atmosphere. Just saying this cause I don't like seeing honest and knowledgeable friends of mine slandered.

69gt4speed
11-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I had some dealings w 1st ave and I know Mike ex mac man. Still they charged plenty imo. Would have gone to Jake if I knew about his hi quality work and had to leave for tenn in 2 days. Damn villager still rattles the front end and cannot find out what it is. lower ball joints and half shafts replaced. That's the thing, oh it is nothing, well it is something. Yea prob inner bushings on control arm idk. Lot of mi on that pos. Winter car now totaled by that drunk lady. i argued w the price beforehand. They did try to sell tires also.

69gt4speed
11-30-2010, 01:05 AM
because I am sure someone will say something. YES, I know shit costs money these days but that is ridiculous!! Professional Muffler installed a single in/dual out muffler, tail pipes and tips, all welded and they charged me $20. Denny's did some finish welding on a piece I had all tacked up, took them about 20 minutes and they charged me like $15.

I could have gotten a fucking 10lb spool and done it myself for what I paid them to run a row of tacks...

next time just bring it I can 1 either mig it or 2 guys 2nd shift can do it very damn good. 5 bucks for that lil piece but do not expect it till next day all I ask. It is just practice. We have very nice millers tig and mig w steel and alum guns. I just can't see as good anymore. Can't hear either.

Deimos
11-30-2010, 05:27 AM
For your village,r you do realize steering suspension is my bread and butter. That and steering suspension evals are free at sears, at least then you would know what is wrong.

KobleTsi
11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey I found a chevelle for you its rusty though its a 72, I haven't seen it in person but the guy wants 500 for it, seems like its cheap for a chevelle but idk

sLoWnStEaDy
11-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey I found a chevelle for you its rusty though its a 72, I haven't seen it in person but the guy wants 500 for it, seems like its cheap for a chevelle but idk

PM me some details if you can. or contact info, whatever you got...

KobleTsi
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM

sLoWnStEaDy
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
FYI: it was the Tuffy's by Gander Mountain...

Deimos
11-30-2010, 09:02 PM
FYI gander mountain awesome guns- crappy credut cards

96-eclipse-gst
12-01-2010, 09:53 AM
you do realize steering suspension is my bread and butter

How could anyone forget?!?! Lol jk Jake!