PDA

View Full Version : Some pure stock cars at the strip

69gt4speed
11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Pure stock drag association w some really rare stock blueprinted cars on street tires. Kind of neat...

Really super rare 57 custom 300 3 speed w 312 s/c engine vs 68 400 4 speed gto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmgJo0Z ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmgJo0ZUSw&feature=related)

Another super rare car a 63 super lark s/c 4 speed vs 440 super bee 4 speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJGjtkF ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJGjtkF_Pw&feature=related)

civicex_1134
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I like the super lark. My grandma had one back in her hay day i guess

Domestic Disturbance
11-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Is that 57 ford a factory SC? Thatd be sick! I'm digging this older stuff though rob

69gt4speed
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Yea ford had a s/c 312 that blew the crap out of chevy and pontiac at early nascar then... they banned it go figure.
A pic of a tbird they had it also and w daytona option for nascar you got 312 hp rating but it was more by far. Those old special 312 heads flowed like a sbc head. I'll tell you every damn time ford has done some really hard core engine they got banned, like this or the sohc, the indy engine, the newer dohc v8, the boss 429, the list is damn long. I don't like to think about it. I was surprised the cj and scj was approved by nhra esp since ppl say over 1k whp on the scj.
http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9426685/mufp_0801_bird_05z+1957_ford_thunderbird+engine.jp g
Another s/c ford video it runs 12.90s not bad for a 57 y block.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9qTlsLoyRA

A link to some other info

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/05/29/ca ... -f-series/ (http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/05/29/cardomain-obscure-muscle-car-parking-lot-the-1957-ford-supercharged-f-series/)

DustinsDuster
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Yea ford had a s/c 312 that blew the crap out of chevy and pontiac at early nascar then... they banned it go figure.
A pic of a tbird they had it also and w daytona option for nascar you got 312 hp rating but it was more by far. Those old special 312 heads flowed like a sbc head. I'll tell you every damn time Chrysler has done some really hard core engine they got banned, like this or the sohc, the indy engine, the newer dohc v8, the boss 429, the list is damn long. I don't like to think about it. I was surprised the cj and scj was approved by nhra esp since ppl say over 1k whp on the scj.

this works too.

69gt4speed
11-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Not exactly imo. Back in 64 when they were going to ban the hemi chrysler boycotted nascar. Ford came out w sohc well they just banned it, who knows what would of happened, same w unrestricted 351 c design Ford got banned more often than anyone gt40 bbf etc.etc. Granted ford put a lot of money and engineering in it. But so did offy and Ferrari. Besides everyone runs a chyrsler hemi design in top fuel and funny car where the big bucks are at in drag racing. No others are legal in nhra. Honestly don't want to get into some pissin match over any car yes lots of engines got say refactored or "equalized" take the 428cj rated at 335 crank hp. I think right now it sits at like 410 hp for stock class. Yes the hemi has its own class well cause they beat anyone else in s/s. Next is the scj nipping at their heals but ss/ah has really radical allowed mods, more c.i. all kinds of valve train stuff roller cams of any size etc. etc. The scj is not allowed much cause of the s/c. I picked up a mag that detailed all the barton hemi mods.

I proposed a s/c gm and chyrsler to compete w the cj and scj easy to regulate even matchup for stock and s/s classes. You really think a 500 c.i. viper engine n/a can put out 1000whp or a lsx w stock heads and unlimited cam in s/s? You can't touch the heads as far as ports go. Whatever. A say 360 hemi and gm lsx w a twin screw s/c be cool and even or could be w just a pulley and tune. 1000 whp would be plenty quick for a s/s car and mid 8's. The only other option is stack weight on one car over another.

DustinsDuster
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Not exactly imo. Back in 64 when they were going to ban the hemi chrysler boycotted nascar. Ford came out w sohc well they just banned it, who knows what would of happened, same w unrestricted 351 c design Ford got banned more often than anyone gt40 bbf etc.etc. Granted ford put a lot of money and engineering in it. But so did offy and Ferrari. Besides everyone runs a chyrsler hemi design in top fuel and funny car where the big bucks are at in drag racing. No others are legal in nhra. Honestly don't want to get into some pissin match over any car yes lots of engines got say refactored or "equalized" take the 428cj rated at 335 crank hp. I think right now it sits at like 410 hp for stock class. Yes the hemi has its own class well cause they beat anyone else in s/s. Next is the scj nipping at their heals but ss/ah has really radical allowed mods, more c.i. all kinds of valve train stuff roller cams of any size etc. etc. The scj is not allowed much cause of the s/c. I picked up a mag that detailed all the barton hemi mods.

I proposed a s/c gm and chyrsler to compete w the cj and scj easy to regulate even matchup for stock and s/s classes. You really think a 500 c.i. viper engine n/a can put out 1000whp or a lsx w stock heads and unlimited cam in s/s? You can't touch the heads as far as ports go. Whatever. A say 360 hemi and gm lsx w a twin screw s/c be cool and even or could be w just a pulley and tune. 1000 whp would be plenty quick for a s/s car and mid 8's. The only other option is stack weight on one car over another.

NASCAR banned cammer motors because Chrysler heard Ford was designing a SOHC engine, so they threw together a mocked up DOHC Hemi engine, took pics of it and showed them to NASCAR. Chrysler didn't want to drop the money into actually making the engine, so they basically told NASCAR "Ford is building that, we're building this" knowing NASCAR wouldnt want the OHC design and tricked them into banning the design before it even came around.

source: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html

A pair of 426 dual-overhead cam Hemis might have been produced in 1964 to counter Ford's response to the 1964 426 Hemi, the 427 SOHC, but when NASCAR ruled against Ford's engine, there was no need for the overhead-cam Hemi.

Neither of the DOHC Hemis were ever placed in a car; one was destroyed, the other moved to the Kansas City area. (source: Muscle Car Review. Thanks, Stéphanie Dumas.) Recently, famed engine builder Larry Shepard told us that he has the A-925 cylinder head and other related parts, purchased from the late Dan Napp.

An article by Tom Shaw in Mopar Muscle went into more detail. The DOHC Hemi was project A-925, and it would need to be much more powerful than Ford's SOHC 427, but still rugged enough for racing - and able to conform to NASCAR's rules. Two possibilities were considered, according to Shaw - one using two cams positioned between the heads, in the "valley;" four valves on each cylinder were operated by lifters, pushrods, and lifters. This expensive setup was an unused contingency plan. Nearly as ambitious was an engine with aluminum heads, dual overhead cams, and, again, four valves per cylinder, with pent-roof chambers. (Chrysler had been working with four valve per cylinder engines for a never-completed Indy run in 1963.)

The dual-plane intake manifold had eight runners per side (Chrysler was into efficient and innovative intakes) and made of magnesium - but designed for a single four-barrel carburetor, as required by NASCAR.

The cams were driven by a cog belt, using external cog wheels at the front of the heads. Because the cams were directly above the valves, valvetrain mass was low, so the engine could rev high - a 7,000 rpm redline was specified, high for the era.

Shaw wrote that no DOHC Hemi ran under its own power; they were driven by an electric motor to check the valvegear. Research stopped in 1964 when NASCAR banned the SOHC 427 and Chrysler's own race Hemi. One Chrysler DOHC Hemi reportedly still exists.

Jon Field wrote that there was a third (at least) Mopar DOHC Hemi made — and that he owns it, a 301 cid aluminum-block-and-head engine with twin cams, two cam covers on each head (the plugs are between them), hydraulic tappets, brass valve seats, and four Weber two-barrel carbs (165 cfm each). He says the oil pan holds 10.6 quarts, and that the engine has stainless steel headers, and an aluminum intake; it is apparently functional and runs on regular gas. We don't have any information on where it came from and whether it's a Chrysler effort or an aftermarket modification.

Meanwhile, Chrysler alumnus and historian (of The Ramchargers) David Rockwell told Mopar Action that the A925 engine was a fake — a completely nonfunctional piece meant to impress Bill France into banning Ford’s SOHC engine (Stewart Pomeroy agreed). The one engine was run by an electric motor. The story goes that Chrysler racing chief Ronnie Householder learned about the ban from Bill France, and the engine was then destroyed.

DustinsDuster
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
also, SS/AH rules arent near as lenient as you think; straight from the book:

maximum displacement of 441.5ci
block must be iron
crank must be steel and counterweights can only be cut to balance it
compression ratio has to be stock(12.5:1) or less
wet sump oiling system only
cyl heads must have stock port volume and valve size
must run stock AFB style carbs with any jetting.

the valvetrain mods do nothing but straighten out the geometry to make it stable at 9800rpm. cars roll on nearly stock front suspension and most with a 4 link rear.

with all of that, now know that the record holder's engine made almost 1,020hp at 9,000rpm, and 620ft/lbs at 7800. and i bet it sounds like music up there.

Domestic Disturbance
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Thats nuts. I love this kind of stuff.

69gt4speed
11-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Yea Dustin the dohc deal was true and was a damn shame who knows by 70's never be a supra or hi hp turbo dsm, the domestics would have had it in the bag so to speak. No f&f think foir a min of all that. Even as jesse has found pump gas big c.i. turbo makes more hp than lil c.i. turbo same boost. I grant you w/o tricks like tivct etc. mpg will suffer. And same tech lil c.i will get more mpg per c.i. Deal is get the sweet spot. In my mind it is mid 300's in a v8 90 deg setup.