PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start

Fire Hawk
11-13-2010, 09:01 PM
1.) Are they hard to install yourself or better to leave to the professionals?

2.) What brand and who in town would be best to have one installed?

Deimos
11-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Over by your place there is a UHAUL place with corridor lock and key in the back. Harold is the smartest man I have ever met with electricity and he has packages for installed remote start.

Luminatorz34
11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
i installed a few in a few vehicle i had...its not hard, as most of them have a website to look up the wiring for your vehicle... they may take any where from 15 mins-2 hours to install depending on your skill level, and the amount of features the remote start has, such as remote start, power locks and what not

ZacFields
11-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't know if Auto Toyz in Coralville is still around, but they installed a Viper system on my Cavalier. The great thing about Viper - at least the one that I had - was that it had a lifetime warranty. So any time I ever had problems with it, I just brought it back to Auto Toyz and they'd fix it for free and get reimbursed by Viper.

Stg4raddo
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
If you just want to buy the product and install it your self or have it installed come see us at Automotive Electronics in cedar rapids. We are behind Jim Miller subaru/nissan off 51st street.

http://www.aestereo.com/

yes i know not active on this site much but still lurk, ive been installing these for the past 5 years or so.

oh and BTW what kinda car? i can let you know what ur getting into as far as installing it your self. ill check back tomorrow

ZacFields
11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I can vouch that Stg4raddo does good work - I think quite a few guys on this site could as well.

z28z34man
11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
there not that bad to install i have done at least 10 between myself family members and friends

what is this going in

i personally like the Bulldog Deluxe 500 it has a 1/2 mile range and 2 way paging

Fire Hawk
11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm pretty sure my friend has a Hyundai Sante Fe.

Stg4raddo
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Sante Fe is doable. its gonna be hit or miss if it needs a transponder bypass or not as long as its not a push button start it would be doable by your self.

Krumm
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Sante Fe is doable. its gonna be hit or miss if it needs a transponder bypass or not as long as its not a push button start it would be doable by your self.

wanna do work on the side? :yawinkle:

Stg4raddo
11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
shoot me a email or something on face book

96-eclipse-gst
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
shoot me a email or something on face book

Your alive?!? I have a few customers right now who want some installed too. I don't like doing them, would you want to. I could set up a time and you could do it in the nice warm shop :) and of course PAID

sLoWnStEaDy
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
remotes starts alone aren't bad to do. If you can read wiring schematics and are somewhat mechanically enclined it shouldn't be hard.

The first one I ever did was a 2-way alarm, remote start and keyless entry on my neon which had shaved doors and a shaved trunk. Also had some funky things like the windows could roll up/down a few inches with the remote, pager, turn the stereo on/off and turn the neons on/off (yeah, underbody and interior LOL). that one took me pretty much an entire day to do! It was ridiculous. Not to mention it was pretty much the first real wiring I had ever done.

96-eclipse-gst
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I know, I used to install them at the dealership and I own my own shop. (We spoke yesterday) I just hate doing them and when you watch T-Martin do them in like 15 mins, it just makes sense.

Deimos
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Well mine is getting done on dec 17th and the kit and install is 275. Thats for all the little remote door locks and trunk opener. So hey I am happy.

sparkles
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
If you're vehicle has factory keyless locks and you want to add just a remote start to it, how much would that be and would you then have to have 2 key fobs, or is there a way to control all of it with 1?

2002 Chevy 1500HD btw

Deimos
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I am doing mine all on one with a similar setup to ur HD

z28z34man
12-02-2010, 09:35 AM
If you're vehicle has factory keyless locks and you want to add just a remote start to it, how much would that be and would you then have to have 2 key fobs, or is there a way to control all of it with 1?

2002 Chevy 1500HD btw

the bull dog delux 500 would do it all it dosen't have all the fancy extras like sLoWnStEaDy dose but it will start it and lock and unlock the doors

sLoWnStEaDy
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

2002 Chevy 1500HD btw

the bull dog delux 500 would do it all it dosen't have all the fancy extras like sLoWnStEaDy dose but it will start it and lock and unlock the doors

Yeah, I will probably never get anything like that again. It was ridiculous but pretty neat being able to control all of that stuff form so far away! We use to just park it, drive across the lot and scare the shit out of people walking by.

skipdownstairs
12-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Good so when I need one of these things in stalled ill know who to get a hold of!!! I hate those damn things major PITA to install in my opinion but nice when you want start your car or truck outside...

Stg4raddo
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
doing a remote start and keeping a factory key-less is about $40 less than a standard remote start as the only part that changes is the remotes. The problem you run into is most factory key-less entry systems will disable when the vehicle is started. so go start your car and see if the factory remote works when the car is started. if it does you can get away with a one button remote start system other wise you will want to get a system that does locks etc.