PDA

View Full Version : Got the car running just in time for winter!!!

Scott
10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Heres a short little video one of my buddies took on his cell phone "crappy shaky video warning"

This was the second time I started it after a fresh rebuild so there is a few bugs to work out still, but it sounds healthy. Took it for a little drive today, havent railed on it too hard yet since its only got about 17 minutes of run time on it but everything seems good so far. I really cant wait to let her rip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDiwTmR8-iA

NitrousMike
10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds very good. Great job getting it done.

Deimos
10-23-2010, 08:06 PM
looks good

NitrousMike
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Sounds very good. Great job getting it done.

JustinS
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds very healthy!

Saw you driving the Cobra about a month ago, recognized it by your avatar. Looks good.

Scott
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys.. Its been hell trying to put that engine together, its a bastard child thats for sure!! only took about 10 months.. LOL I'd like to get some decent videos of it, the sound is actually pretty good on that video for a cell phone though

slow ride
10-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Whats all new?

K-ville
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds good. Wish i knew what mine sounded like!

Scott
10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Whats all new?

Too much stuff!! It started out just a simple upgrade with heads, now its got new rings, bearings, pistons, heads/valves/springs, lifters, cam, shaft rockers, pushrods, intake/head porting, intake spacers, additional fogger kit so now its 2 direct ports kits, aftermarket planetary in the trans along with a freshen up. Pretty much everytime I put a bolt on the engine something had to be custom made for it, been a head ache for sure. Thats about the just of it I think!! haha theres alot of new stuff so its gonna be a whole new set of problems and tuning issues all over again... :banghead:

Im thinking it might need a sfi 25.5 upgrade this winter to keep it NHRA legal, its a double edge sword really, Im not too excited about being inside a funny car cage on the street if I get in a fender bender cuz my heads going to take a beating but its safer on the strip.. Either way Im going to be protecting my neck with a hans device next year

JacobS
10-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Whats all new?

Too much stuff!! It started out just a simple upgrade with heads, now its got new rings, bearings, pistons, heads/valves/springs, lifters, cam, shaft rockers, pushrods, intake/head porting, intake spacers, additional fogger kit so now its 2 direct ports kits, aftermarket planetary in the trans along with a freshen up. Pretty much everytime I put a bolt on the engine something had to be custom made for it, been a head ache for sure. Thats about the just of it I think!! haha theres alot of new stuff so its gonna be a whole new set of problems and tuning issues all over again... :banghead:

Im thinking it might need a sfi 25.5 upgrade this winter to keep it NHRA legal, its a double edge sword really, Im not too excited about being inside a funny car cage on the street if I get in a fender bender cuz my heads going to take a beating but its safer on the strip.. Either way Im going to be protecting my neck with a hans device next year

its good to hear youre not going to skimp on the safety equipment. sounds healthy scotty, cant wait to see it run.

Domestic Disturbance
10-24-2010, 02:48 AM
No more engine that you built in highschool>? I still cant believe it made it this far

stangvortech
10-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Sweet!

Domestic Disturbance
10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
No more engine that you built in highschool>? I still cant believe it made it this far
haha reading that now doesn't come out the way I meant it. Impressive little rocket.

Scott
10-24-2010, 01:57 PM
haha reading that now doesn't come out the way I meant it. Impressive little rocket.

Its all good man!! Not sure what you meant anyway, but yeah its a little different from the old high school engine. Most everything I got on there now is "new to me" used stuff off the internet, the heads I wish I would have just got new because they needed a good amount of work and ended up not being the heads I thought they were. We had to put new pushrod tubes in them, a couple valves, they had been welded and repaired before so there was a little clean-up in the ports and chambers that had to be done, valve job etc... Then I discovered they were actually some sort of raised runner so in order for them to work on my combo I had to have spacers built up for the intake. Then naturally the shaft rocker stands had to shimmed all to hell for the correct height, then they didnt have a good centered sweep pattern on the valve tip! Called up T+D and they made me a custom set free of charge when I sent back my original ones.

So yeah what should have been a fairly basic engine combo ended up with waiting 3 months at a time for stuff to get custom made. At least its together now and seems to be running fine. All I gotta say is big thanks to Radar for getting most of the stressfull complicated stuff taken of and at a good price, and of course all the other companies that put up with my BS and phone calls, J+E, T+D, bullet cams, manton pushorods. and of course H+W for welding and fitting on the new 1/2 inch thick stainless header flanges and misc parts. All these places are unbelievable to work with and dont mind spending the extra time on the phone to get stuff right.

I drove it around a little bit today and couldnt be happier with the power of this thing, once the cam starts working about 5500 the 14.5 tires on the back have NOO chance of hooking up and just go right up in smoke, its a blast to drive. A little ratty for a sunday cruise but oh well fuck it its a blast to drive. Feels like a good solid 570-600hp on pump gas :yawinkle:

XR4LIFE
10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
sounds awesome, very nice :supz:

skipdownstairs
10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Im always nervous on a fresh rebuild first start up!!! Nice job sounds really nice

snickerlicker
10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Still plenty of time to get to the track, Byron will be open til the snow flies.

TbTalon94
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Pretty sure I saw you with that engine in the back of your truck the other day on 380 North bound.

I went by ya in my evo.

Car sounds awesome btw!!

Scott
10-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Im always nervous on a fresh rebuild first start up!!! Nice job sounds really nice

Oh man your telling me, I spent a whole day double checking stuff AFTER it was ready to start because I was so nervous about it. and I had the distributor 180 off still dohh, it even has a crank trigger on it and I messed it up!!

I dont know if I'll take it to the track this year or not, if I do, it will be just NA cuz I cant afford to plumb the dam thing right now and buy nitrous! I'd love to dyno it first to get in the ballpark with jetting and timing, never know though..

Yeah I did see you guys on the HWY when I was bringing it home from H+W, I wasnt sure if I recognized you guys or not! Been a couple long nights since then lol

69gt4speed
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I forgot why I called d&d but mentioned ur name and they said something about a rebuild and knew you real well. Must be pretty good guys over there.

Scott
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I forgot why I called d&d but mentioned ur name and they said something about a rebuild and knew you real well. Must be pretty good guys over there.

D+R you mean??

KobleTsi
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
looks and sounds real good, are you keeping it carbed or eventually going injected? either way good work. what are you doing for a trans?

UWILOSE
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
sounds like shit,to loud, need some turbos in the engine bay.Hee heee j/k Can't wait for next year.

DustinsDuster
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
i dont think scott will ever go injected- he's a carb guy. sounds awesome scott- when do i get a ride?

69gt4speed
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Yea d&r it's been a while, I think it was about those camaro heads.

Scott
10-25-2010, 07:53 PM
sounds like shit,to loud, need some turbos in the engine bay.Hee heee j/k Can't wait for next year.

Yeah dude its defeintly loud as fuck, I got the mufflers and X-pipe mounted on it so its a little quieter but not as much as I hoped. Im not against going injected, Im thinking mechanical alcohol injection with a nice 8-71 mounted up on top would be bad-ass!! Not a huge fan of having to wait to build boost even though it definetly would make the most power with turdblows on it!!

Someday it will have a power adder that isnt nitrous, just not sure when

UWILOSE
10-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Yeah dude its defeintly loud as fuck, I got the mufflers and X-pipe mounted on it so its a little quieter but not as much as I hoped. Im not against going injected, Im thinking mechanical alcohol injection with a nice 8-71 mounted up on top would be bad-ass!! Not a huge fan of having to wait to build boost even though it definetly would make the most power with turdblows on it!!

Someday it will have a power adder that isnt nitrous, just not sure when

You don't have to wait for boost, just spray it with the turbo.Instant boost.8-71 would be alsome.You got all winter

Scott
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Nothing like a little blower surge to scare the turbo guys!! LOL just kidding, unless something happens Im going to stick with the nitrous at least for another year, got way too much invested right now to tear it down without a few good beat down passes

NitrousMike
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
blown all the way