PDA

View Full Version : I got some decent drag tires finally

AutoMods
10-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I recieved my 27*10.5*15 MT ET Street bias tires. They look like they mean business. Put them on some cheap Summit Fast Five 15*8 rims that weight 17lbs. Tires weigh 22lbs. Skinnies should be here next week. Actually saved 5lbs per wheel in the rear even with the bigger tires. Those bias tires are light and soft! The skinnies should be saving me around 20lbs per wheel in the front. Only made 4 passes on my car, lots of traction issues so best time was 11.6 @ 127 with 2.1 60 foot. Those 60's are unacceptable so I'm excited to try these.

before 255/45/17 goodyear eagle f1's worn out.
http://www.importevolution.com/temp/tire_IMG_7601_small.jpg

after:
http://www.importevolution.com/temp/tire_IMG_7608_small.jpg

new tire is 2" taller. I was maxed out at 7k 4th gear through the traps during the manual shootout @ 127mph. With a stock cam I lose a lot of power up at 7k so this tire will help some. This tire should do 137mph @ 7k rpms with my 4.10 rear. Not that my car will trap that high this year but at least the potential is there for when I throw a cam in. Maybe next year I'll swap a solid rear in and change the gearing.
http://www.importevolution.com/temp/tire_IMG_7604_small.jpg

Drifte
10-02-2010, 01:12 PM
ohhh looks badass.

Scott
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
yeah that looks killer man! your gonna love those tires, gonna need some sort of 2-step to build boost and launch it, might be hard to get tire speed up with those beasts on there

sLoWnStEaDy
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
what do you mean your best was 11.6? Didn't I see a video of that thing running 8's? Yank the turbo and going N/A now or did I miss something?

TbTalon94
10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Lol that wasn't his rx-7 that he posted. Everyone knew that apparently except you lol.

Ryan they look bad-ass. I was at the shop when they got them and picked them up...definatly light as hell! Can't wait to see some new track times.

sparkles
10-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Why'd you go for the ET Streets and not the full ET Drags?

sLoWnStEaDy
10-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Lol that wasn't his rx-7 that he posted. Everyone knew that apparently except you lol.

hahaha... apparently! I knew he had a turbo LSX so I figured it was def. possible!

however, in that case... We should run 'em come spring...

Drifte
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
^ absolutely.

hopefully everything holds up with the new found traction.

Deimos
10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
lol when you need a 9 inch let me know... Looks sweet man.

Scott
10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
yeah you might be amazed at what traction can break!! either way Im 100% confident you will be happy with the timeslips compared to before, that car has some steam behind it, but its all about the 60' in drag racing. Looks like the bug has bit you so I wish you luck from here on out

69gt4speed
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Why'd you go for the ET Streets and not the full ET Drags?

Prob like myself don't want to buy a trailer, Casey could pull the wheels on those 15's of his. Yea get a 2 step, lot of cobra guys use msd, a real spark cut, rich 2 step not that fuel cut bs. Go over to modular fords you will see it should work on lsx too. I'm glad you are trying a manual, it's too easy w a auto. Now that takes some doing.

AutoMods
10-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks scott! Might have to look into the 2 step next year. Well the same 4.10 gearing that is hurting me at the end of the track will help the launch while i'm out of boost. plus my car is 2800 lbs so we'll see how it goes.

Might break the stock rear end even without a boosted launch. i know i'll have a lot more traction but i was also hoping the big bias sidewall may help prevent breakage. They say mid to high 10's on stock rear end is about all you can do. or 9's with an auto.

I went et streets because I was under the impression they are about as good as the drags and I would like to drive on the street some here and there. Also MT doesn't make 27" drags and thats the tallest I can fit.

AutoMods
10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
so i know the tires will wear fast on the street and handle like crap and are dangerous in the rain. but besides that will the rocks and road debris chew up these tires??? I know rob and casey have done some extended street driving on them.

Domestic Disturbance
10-03-2010, 01:12 AM
sooo jealous!

Scott
10-03-2010, 01:20 AM
I know Larry Larson runs them on dragweek, 1500 miles and still made a 6 second pass. I would say thats a pretty damn solid test. Also Brian Havlik ran them on his 55 chevy for thousands of miles without a problem and I used the hoosier quick times which was about the same tire on my old car without complaints. What probably killed them faster than anything "besides big smoky burnouts" was running a spool in the rear end, it scrubs rubber off on every corner. And like you said, definetly not a rain tire.. I rode in brians 55 for a few hours on the hwy during a down pour and it got pretty hairy a couple of times, not as bad as some people say, but if your not expecting it you can get bite in the ass

LT1Dan
10-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Looks Badass! Should really help you get those times down. I completely drew a blank that this was your car when you said you had a rx-7 in the garage.

AutoMods
10-03-2010, 12:29 PM
yea that was me. I figured you didn't know what car was mine when you said you were planning on whipping some ls1 ass next year :)

DustinsDuster
10-03-2010, 02:46 PM
i liked Hoosier's a lot more than the ET streets, but thats just my preference. car looks awesome!

Domestic Disturbance
10-03-2010, 03:11 PM
yea that was me. I figured you didn't know what car was mine when you said you were planning on whipping some ls1 ass next year :)
haha he's just delusional

OldSkoolRCR
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I know who has a fully forged proven 347LS1 motor 4 sale, would make that car fly.

LT1Dan
10-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Yeah I realized it as I was leaving and then I felt like an idiot for that comment. haha I won't have anything for you next year but there is a certain bearded Camaro owner that I'm looking to make cry next year. :yawinkle:

haha he's just delusional

:butthead:

Sledge_WS6
10-03-2010, 07:15 PM
there is a certain bearded Camaro owner that I'm looking to make cry next year. :yawinkle:

My money is still on that motor never going in :butthead:

PS - You'll have to catch me to make me cry. :biggrin:

c_mart_28
10-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Honestly I really liked mine. Pretty consistant upper 1.4x's which isn't too bad. Prepare yourself for a little extra shimmy in the back half. Street driving is of course possible but they do wear extra quick. And I did get caught in the rain once. Terrifying. Maybe I'm just a girl.

On a side note, I went ahead and retired mine for a set of used stiffwall et drags. Gave me a new personal best 1.43 60'. I really liked the solid feel but that was only 1/8th mile. Did manage a 6.64@104 though which is also a PB.