PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1G DSM Shell / Project

Clinical
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Just putting this out there.

I don't have a lot to spend but I'm keeping my eyes open.
Preferably I want a 1g. Doesn't have to be running or even have a motor for that matter, manual is a must - no autos
Prefer no rust, paint issues / some dents is no big issue for me, long as it isnt totalled or anything.
Will consider AWD 2g's but still prefer 1g

Having the drivetrain intact would be a plus, even if the tranny or something was messed up.

AWD preferred, but would consider a nice enough FWD

Let me know what you have or if you know of anything.

PS:

Dont judge me :neener:

oVa-Boost
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I could get you a 91 awd talon for a nice price it has been wrecked before tho. I will need lil work to drive it. It starts and runs just need to fix the tcase and a cvc shaft i believe

Clinical
09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd need some more info, sounds like a possibility. Tcase in shape to be repaired or just a situation where it may as well be replaced? Wheres it located at?

oVa-Boost
09-29-2010, 11:36 PM
I believe tcase will need replace its cracked/leaks bad..... its black with silver at the bottom dark tinted windows has a Evo3 16g, 3" dp and 3" catback, RC 550cc injectors, Apexi AFC, FP2x cams, ARP head studs and mls head gasket, newer rod bearings, ACT 2100 clutch, no ac. The car is in tama it will need some work tho and a good clean up.

Clinical
09-30-2010, 06:58 AM
any idea what they're wantin for price?

Ricky
09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
PS:

Dont judge me :neener:

I am :cop:

Drifte
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
autos faster

Clinical
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
autos faster
autos :sleep:

Still, I wouldnt be using it for a full drag car

oVa-Boost
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
$2900

oVa-Boost
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
autos faster

very true autos are faster

Clinical
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
$2900
ouch I'll have to back out

This is why I'm mainly looking for a shell or something, my limit on this is about 1k lol

I remember there was one going for $700 awhile back, too bad I didnt pick that up, especially since it had everything basically :(

I think infantry was selling that one

snickerlicker
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Mod your LS1, cheaper, and faster.

oVa-Boost
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM

very true for how much your going to invest in a dsm even if its a shell, blown up etc the parts aren't cheap there nothing but money pits and they will always have problems every way you look at it or build it that's why pretty much everyone on the site that had dsm's left them and went a different route. I guess gotta learn the hard way sometimes.

Clinical
09-30-2010, 05:20 PM

very true for how much your going to invest in a dsm even if its a shell, blown up etc the parts aren't cheap there nothing but money pits and they will always have problems every way you look at it or build it that's why pretty much everyone on the site that had dsm's left them and went a different route. I guess gotta learn the hard way sometimes.

traitors :P

although now I'm one too :(

Deimos
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
You better take a picture cuz I agree with snickerlicker...

biohazard
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4369/deimos.jpg
Done

Ricky
10-01-2010, 09:09 AM
^ HAHAHAHA!

Brent is the only hard core DSM'er left

AutoMods
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Barry is still in the game

slo4cyl
10-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Barry is still in the game

:help: :banghead:

AutoMods
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I came up with this theory myself but the more you switch cars the more money and time you lose as well as the liklihood of you having a fast car. You never get all the money out of your mods and certainly not your labor.

slo4cyl
10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I believe tcase will need replace its cracked/leaks bad..... its black with silver at the bottom dark tinted windows has a Evo3 16g, 3" dp and 3" catback, RC 550cc injectors, Apexi AFC, FP2x cams, ARP head studs and mls head gasket, newer rod bearings, ACT 2100 clutch, no ac. The car is in tama it will need some work tho and a good clean up.

I can vouche for this car. I put the cams, head studs and gasket and new rod bearings in the car 2 winters ago. At the same time a brand new mitsubishi evoIII 16g was put on with a ported 2g manifold. It now has a pacesetter tubular mani though I believe. I also did the clutch a little before all this. Im not sure if the tcase is cracked, last I knew it was a seal leaking but I would replace it its been leaking for a while. The car is a low mileage car I don't believe any rust but as stated its in nead of some paint and a clean up. You might check into it and try to haggle a bit. With dsm link and a wide band o2 the thing should run good.

slo4cyl
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I came up with this theory myself but the more you switch cars the more money and time you lose as well as the liklihood of you having a fast car. You never get all the money out of your mods and certainly not your labor.

Agree'd

NitrousMike
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM
It doesnt matter what car you build, shit will always break and cost a shit load to fix. I ended up selling all my mustang stuff to build an 8 sec DSM. LOL SO THERE YOU HAVE IT GUYS. I got completely bored with mustangs.

AutoMods
10-01-2010, 07:42 PM
rwd dsm?

NitrousMike
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
no, auto awd

Drifte
10-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I know I personally put a lot of time into my cars. Much more than needed to say the least. Just spend 11 hours on my forester today doing the 100k maintenance and then some. Cleaned the underbody, repainted brackets and what not, lots of new gaskets. This stuff means nothing to the next owner, but I probably spent $1k in parts just to make sure it doesn't have problems. Not to say down the road a wheel bearing wont go bad, shit happens. But you cant take a car to a dealer for trade in and say, well, i kept it clean everyday, religiously maintained and know how to drive. I'll get the same low ball offer as that chick who road the clutch to chicago and changed the oil once when the dealership offered it for free...10 years ago.

/rant

NitrousMike
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I know I personally put a lot of time into my cars. Much more than needed to say the least. Just spend 11 hours on my forester today doing the 100k maintenance and then some. Cleaned the underbody, repainted brackets and what not, lots of new gaskets. This stuff means nothing to the next owner, but I probably spent $1k in parts just to make sure it doesn't have problems. Not to say down the road a wheel bearing wont go bad, shit happens. But you cant take a car to a dealer for trade in and say, well, i kept it clean everyday, religiously maintained and know how to drive. I'll get the same low ball offer as that chick who road the clutch to chicago and changed the oil once when the dealership offered it for free...10 years ago.

/rant
that is so true

NitrousMike
10-01-2010, 11:15 PM
went to a dealer and the manager offered me 2grand for my truck lol

slo4cyl
10-02-2010, 08:41 AM
It doesnt matter what car you build, shit will always break and cost a shit load to fix. I ended up selling all my mustang stuff to build an 8 sec DSM. LOL SO THERE YOU HAVE IT GUYS. I got completely bored with mustangs.

Are you ever going to get those parts from me Mike?

Clinical
10-02-2010, 09:25 AM
hey brent, do you have any 6 bolt blocks or transfer cases?

Sleeping
10-02-2010, 10:07 AM
i got 6 bolt block all machined ready to go

Clinical
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
how much?
is it actually all together? ie: ready to drop in a car?

AutoMods
10-02-2010, 11:46 AM
no, auto awd

So if you get there, you'll be one in only about 5 people in the nation. I'm not sure really but I know a lot of the 8 second cars are rwd.

Sleeping
10-02-2010, 09:45 PM
how much?

$325 just needs rods and pistons comes with oil pan hell for another $125 Ill throw in a stock rebuilt head.

slo4cyl
10-03-2010, 09:09 AM
hey brent, do you have any 6 bolt blocks or transfer cases?

What spline transfer case? You need to figure out that before you buy one. I have various ones. I have some 6 bolt blocks but they are bare and need cleaned up and checked over.

Clinical
10-05-2010, 10:42 AM
how much?

$325 just needs rods and pistons comes with oil pan hell for another $125 Ill throw in a stock rebuilt head.

I think I've found a motor but I may still be interested in picking up that head.

Found a REALLY clean 91 GSX shell in texas for $500. Fresh black paint, has tranny / xfercase, no motor, 4bolt rear( :D )

Now I just have to find someone crazy enough to go with me to get it, haha!

Clinical
10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Still looking for something, as of tomorrow I'll probably REALLY be looking to buy ASAP

Luminatorz34
10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
how much?

I think I've found a motor but I may still be interested in picking up that head.

Found a REALLY clean 91 GSX shell in texas for $500. Fresh black paint, has tranny / xfercase, no motor, 4bolt rear( :D )

Now I just have to find someone crazy enough to go with me to get it, haha!

my dad is a truck driver, and goes thru texas alot! he mite be able to swing out and snag it up for you..if you want i can see how much he will pick it up for.....just a fyi. he picked up a running volvo s60r for a friend in boston last year for 600 bucks...but the dsm's are smaller and take up less room on his trailer too

Clinical
10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
i was in contact with the guy and told him I was going to see if I could find a way to get it but just got a text around noon it sold :(

Not surprised though.

Thanks a ton for the offer, would of been awesome!

Ricky
10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
you had a clean DSM.... your going to waste more money on starting over then if you would have just stayed with your old DSM..

Give up on DSM's and stick with your V8

snickerlicker
10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I bet he won't take your advice, but he should....

Clinical
10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
you had a clean DSM.... your going to waste more money on starting over then if you would have just stayed with your old DSM..

Give up on DSM's and stick with your V8

I know I had a clean DSM, but what's done is done. Fuck it, theres a ton of cars out there. Hell, I already know that my talon since I sold it, the kid grenaded an axle and the diff, go figure.. I had even checked the axle and it seemed fine in August, Im kind of surprised at the diff.
But whatever
Money is paper, life is short.

I can't get motivated to do anything with the v8, its boring. With the exhaust and all now its a TON of fun to drive, but as for racing/going fast it just doesn't put a smile on my face at all like a boosted car does.

I didn't know how to work on cars at ALL before I had the talon, I could do an oil change and installed a CAI once.. that was about it. I couldn't even do brakes. I learned so damn much on the talon and now realize how attached I am to DSM's and boosted cars in general.

Yeah I should listen to the advice, but hey, people have done stupider shit(chutes on 13 second cars) haha.
Either way, hopefully I'll be able to finish my project in time for spring..

I'm also considering civics, but I'd only build a 92-95 coupe and I have not found a single clean one that wasnt red, purple, or rusted to shit.. The only reason I consider a civic is I put together a build list on a spreadsheet, and it would take me exactly $3900-$4000 to get to my goal not counting the tune, which although I managed to tune my talon at 22psi decently, I probably wouldn't want to touch an E85 tune.

A DSM will cost me a fair bit more to go fast, but I just feel attached to them.. But either way we'll see.

:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

sparkles
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
You need to team up with some of the other 4th gen guys on here if that car isn't putting a smile on your face. It would take 1/2 the money to make it go twice as fast as that DSM. My experience with all of mine is that money is well spent in suspension. They make plenty of power and with some suspension mods and some decent tires, I can promise you that it will leave harder than your Talon would.

Clinical
10-07-2010, 10:39 AM
The camaro was bone stock aside from suspension, has subframe connectors, panhard bars, swaybars, tokiko or something shocks, some strange looking springs, handles amazing.

No mechanical mods though, not even a skip shift eliminator.

And yeah I know it could haul ass better then the talon if I wanted it to, just can't get motivated..

AutoMods
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
stop being a vagina and put a cam in the car

Drifte
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Your Camaro will never be faster than my old Talon.

Clinical
10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Not in my ownership it won't. As it sits it's definitely faster than the talon when I first got it, but still not to the point it was when I sold it.

snickerlicker
10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
If you like boost so much why don't you put a turbo on that LS1. Or better yet spend the rest of your life and money building a DSM, and fixing it after ever pass, which seems to be the route your destined to take. A V8 is boring??? I want some of what your smokin.....

sparkles
10-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Lol. Judging by what that 12.7 in his sig, I'm guessing if he threw a set of slicks on it and went to the track, he already is.

sparkles
10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
If you like boost so much why don't you put a turbo on that LS1. Or better yet spend the rest of your life and money building a DSM, and fixing it after ever pass, which seems to be the route your destined to take. A V8 is boring??? I want some of what your smokin.....

Alas, something we can agree on.

Drifte
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Lol. Judging by what that 12.7 in his sig, I'm guessing if he threw a set of slicks on it and went to the track, he already is.

It was a feeble attempt at reverse psychology. Unfortunately his response was:

Not in my ownership it won't. As it sits it's definitely faster than the talon when I first got it, but still not to the point it was when I sold it.

I have to say, I disagree. But we dont have track times from when I had it, just my rep with the car.

Clinical
10-07-2010, 12:58 PM

I never said a v8 in general is boring. Just to me, it isn't exciting to me.

It's a lot of fun to drive, and the fast v8's I've ridden in were a blast.

There's just a thrill about having a little car with half or less engine size than an opponent and keeping up with them or beating them. Yeah you can say it wont be as reliable, yeah it may be more expensive, etc etc, but it's a preference.

But anyways, I can see its no use trying to explain.

Drifte
10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I got an idea. 4g63 in your camaro.

Clinical
10-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I got an idea. 4g63 in your camaro.
3400lb battle tank equipped with a 4g63, hell yeah

sparkles
10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
But anyways, I can see its no use trying to explain.

No no, I get that. It's just I've been where you're at with 2 TSi's when I was a little younger. Just happened to buy a Formula from a buddy. It just seemed to not make much sense to piss my money away constantly fixing stuff and buying something that cost $500 to gain 15hp when I could spend half that and gain twice the power. Not gonna lie, boost is awesome. I'll be throwing a D1 on my pile this winter (need to get in touch Jake), We're just trying to lend some constructive criticism.

oVa-Boost
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
might as well have a custom turbo kit made for your camaro with the money your going to waste on a dsm, the you can have boost.. but it might still be boring because its a v8.. :Hangman:

oVa-Boost
10-07-2010, 03:38 PM

correct because he will sale it before he gets to run it and mod it for 12's

Clinical
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Technically the camaro was already faster than the talon when I got the talon.
Talon when I first got it was probably a 13.7-13.9 second car.
The talon DID run 13.6@101mph still at 15psi, and it was running a tad quicker than when I bought it. 12.7@107 just came after 7 more psi and some general maintenance.

The camaro easily should of managed a mid 13. I'd guess 13.3-13.4. With drag radials I could probably of gotten something around a 13.0 in it.

oVa-Boost
10-07-2010, 05:31 PM

The camaro easily should of managed a mid 13. I'd guess 13.3-13.4. With drag radials I could probably of gotten something around a 13.0 in it.

I seen.. Did you sale the Camaro already?

Clinical
10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
[quote=Drifte]Your Camaro will never be faster than my old Talon.

I seen.. Did you sale the Camaro already?[/quote:325fj95d]
:rock:

Drifte
10-08-2010, 09:12 AM

The talon DID run 13.6@101mph still at 15psi, and it was running a tad quicker than when I bought it. 12.7@107 just came after 7 more psi and some general maintenance.

Talon when I drove it was easily faster than that lol.

Clinical
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Unless it got slower from something to the time I bought it then.
LS1's have run 12's with drag radials bone stock. I doubt I could drive it like that though.

Typical well driven stock LS1's run low-mid 13's.
Evan Smith drove a bone stock 98 LS1 M6 into the 12.8s or 12.9's I can't remember.
Record is like 12.63 in like a 2000SS on Drag Radials, but that would of been the SS package & LS6 intake etc.

Just from exhaust / lid my camaro felt a ton better, those stock pipes are REALLY restrictive. I'm positive that the camaro in its current state would of taken the talon when I got it.

Hell, that 190k mile auto WS6 LS1 with only a catback beat the talon. I have a video of it, it was super close, less than a car really. But it was still unchanged at the time, running the keydiver chip. Only changes to the car at the time were just maintenance stuff like the turbo gaskets / new turbo housing / other maintenance.

Drifte
10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Talon with my previous Tune was def. faster than what it was after you had it. Didnt read your whole post, wasnt talking about the camaro. I know what a camaro can and cant do. I dont have one, because I cant drive it through CR in a blizzard like its my own personal rally course.

Clinical
10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Talon with my previous Tune was def. faster than what it was after you had it. Didnt read your whole post, wasnt talking about the camaro. I know what a camaro can and cant do. I dont have one, because I cant drive it through CR in a blizzard like its my own personal rally course.

I never knew it was on a previous tune? Was that with the Apexi AFC?

Ricky
10-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Fine tuning.. the ecu had a chip in it for the tune it believe

Clinical
10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I figured it was the DSMChips stage 3.

I still have that chip in fact, wish I would of just sold the car with it in it.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Unless it got slower from something to the time I bought it then.
LS1's have run 12's with drag radials bone stock. I doubt I could drive it like that though.

Typical well driven stock LS1's run low-mid 13's.
Evan Smith drove a bone stock 98 LS1 M6 into the 12.8s or 12.9's I can't remember.
Record is like 12.63 in like a 2000SS on Drag Radials, but that would of been the SS package & LS6 intake etc.

Just from exhaust / lid my camaro felt a ton better, those stock pipes are REALLY restrictive. I'm positive that the camaro in its current state would of taken the talon when I got it.

Hell, that 190k mile auto WS6 LS1 with only a catback beat the talon. I have a video of it, it was super close, less than a car really. But it was still unchanged at the time, running the keydiver chip. Only changes to the car at the time were just maintenance stuff like the turbo gaskets / new turbo housing / other maintenance.
2000 fbodys didn't come with the ls6 intake that was 01-02, they also have the 241 heads and a slightly smaller cam then the 98-00

Drifte
10-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Chipped, and fine tuned with the afc, it was running a healthy amount of timing, required 92+ octane and nothing less. I made some 25psi pulls with it, the engine and trans never skipped a beat through every gear. Not sure what it would have ran, just know I was a jedi in that car (one with its force :roll: ).

I can check through some notes on my comp, I used to race it out of swisher from the stop sign to the road 1/4 mile away. Just racing myself really,been using the same spot since I turned 15.

You ran a 12.7 best, so all you had to do was hand me the keys for a 12.5 :butthead:

Clinical
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Chipped, and fine tuned with the afc, it was running a healthy amount of timing, required 92+ octane and nothing less. I made some 25psi pulls with it, the engine and trans never skipped a beat through every gear. Not sure what it would have ran, just know I was a jedi in that car (one with its force :roll: ).

I can check through some notes on my comp, I used to race it out of swisher from the stop sign to the road 1/4 mile away. Just racing myself really,been using the same spot since I turned 15.

You ran a 12.7 best, so all you had to do was hand me the keys for a 12.5 :butthead:

hey, i told you if you ever came to the track when I did you could of done a pass or two!

And yeah when I sold it the car definitely had low 12's in it.

My best mph in the car was 110mph, I ran a 14.0 on that run though as it was while the 1-2 fork was completely shot. The 12.7 was still a rough tune by myself on DSMLink when I was first learning, I just started using Jesse's base tune which was just a ton of timing pulled due to my BL issues when I had him tune it at 15psi.

The car felt great when I sold it, really pulled hard.

Now I hate to think of its fate, I know for a fact the kid already grenaded an axle and I think the trans.. urrgh

oVa-Boost
10-08-2010, 11:43 PM
wasnt that 12.7 pass with the hood off the car as well?

Clinical
10-09-2010, 12:04 AM
yeah, it wasn't even for weight that I took it off though, the car was overheating from what at the time I believed to be a blown headgasket, was just the radiator cap - keeping the hood off kept it cool.

I had about 5 12.7 passes in the car all from that one night, I was pissed because I knew the car had a 12.5 in it at the time, just kept having issues. 3 times I started to log knock at the end of the track and had to get out of it. The other one that I have a video up in my thread, I spun in 1st and got out of it and back into it, stupid track officials not letting me drive around the waterbox, they did back in april. Then my other pass I just had a really shitty launch, wasn't ready for the green instant start during midnight mayhem.

The car re-tuned though ran a hell of a lot harder on the street, a shame I never got to put it to a good track run.