PDA

View Full Version : when life gives you lemons...

DustinsDuster
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
just wanted to share an expirience i had at K's Acres today. i headed out there to pull the front hubs off an 89-90 toyota 2wd pickup they had out there. i got off pretty early today, and was able to make it out there by 3:30, so i figured i would have plenty of time to pull a pair of hubs.

i get out to the truck find a little scissor jack, break the lugs loose, and after a bit have the truck sitting up on a couple spare tires. it soon becomes evident that both wheels are completely rusted on. the driverside is giving me trouble, so i soak the hub in PB Blast, and go to work on passenger side. after a few minutes of beating the shit out of the rim with a hammer, the pass. side finally pops off, and then i'm able to easily get the hub/rotor assembly off in about 5 minutes. i go back to the driverside, and have no such luck. i beat the shit out of the rim, nothing. tap the rim around the hub to break it loose, nothing. wedged a 5' long plank between the wheel and shock, completely crushed the shock, still nothing. i threw a couple big chunks of concrete at the wheel; which even though it made me feel a little better, got me completely no where. about this time, the macguyver in me started coming out....

i think i get a great idea; i find another little scissor jack, wedge it between rim and the steering linkage and frame(the column was locked). i figured i could crank the jack up, and pop the wheel right off. well, even this didnt work, and the wheel just started turning out even though the column was locked.

by now, im totally frustrated, smash the wheel a few more times in a feeble attempt to feel better. a guy walks over, and says they will be closing in about 10 minutes. i've been doing 20-30 minutes worth of work for almost an hour and a half now, and i still dont have the fucker apart. something clicked in my head, and i got an idea. i crank the wheel to the right, wedge my head and arm behind there, disconnect the brakeline, unbolt the brakeline mount. now i could just barely get on the caliper mount, break it loose, then straighten the wheel back out, pry the dust cap off, pull the cotter pin and crown nut, remove the big adjuster nut, and the entire wheel, hub, rotor, caliper and mount come out as one! i made it back up to the office right at 5- but havent been able to find a block of wood short enough to use the hammer to pound the hub out of the wheel. at the office, i find a 4' long 4x6, put it on its end and just use it as a hammer which pops the hub out of the wheel.

i guess the moral of the story is, when life gives you lemons, say fuck the lemons and bring a bigger hammer.

sorry for the rant, i was just pretty proud of myself for coming up with a plan that worked in 10 minutes.

Luminatorz34
09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
I found this story entertaining...i wouldve thrown shit at the truck itself, and smashed some glass to make me feel better....i like the scissor jack idea too, to bad it didnt help ya out