PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a septic inspector

warchild145
09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone know who does septic tank inspections? Need to have mine inspected due trying to sell the house and its a new law in 2009 that the septic tank be inspected or have been inspected prior to sale or within 2 years of last inspection.

No idea who does them and no idea really where to start. Curious if anyone had any ideas here or has had someone do one for them?

SaNdMaNsSi
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Septic inspector...so....you're looking for a boyfriend?

SaNdMaNsSi
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Anyone know who does septic tank inspections? Need to have mine inspected due trying to sell the house and its a new law in 2009 that the septic tank be inspected or have been inspected prior to sale or within 2 years of last inspection.

No idea who does them and no idea really where to start. Curious if anyone had any ideas here or has had someone do one for them?

If I can find my paperwork, I'll let you know who does it. When I got my place inspected prior to buying it, it wasn't cheap if I remember correctly. Funny thing is they said the septic was bad and needed to be replaced, but they were still able to sell the place to me. It's basically another way for the city and the inspectors to get free money for nothing. Guess what....my septic is still bad....I never replaced it. So what was the point of the inspection, exactly?

AutoMods
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
yellow pages . I would think any septic pumping company could inspect it. I used City Sewar in Iowa city to inspect our new home

96-eclipse-gst
09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Hold your breath too. My parents have been trying to sell their other house for quite awhile now. As you said, they changed the law you must have the septic inspected. They had one tile that was draining backwards. Otherwise the system performed flawlessly for YEARS. The inspector wouldn't let it go (he was indeed the most dickhead inspector I have ever met). He required them to replace the septic at the tune of about $15k.

AutoMods
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM
There is an omish guy in the area that is really cheap. Does full septic installs for like $7k. Did my neighbors. So he may do inspection cheap also.

warchild145
09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Well I finally located my septic tank as I dont have any access port or anything like that and I will somehow have to get the nice approximate 4' x 1'x1.5" thick concrete slab lid off of it but it should be ready to be inspected and see how well that goes.

Any one have any luck finding who may do it? Just trying to find someone that has been used by someone here so I don't end up with a dick of an inspector and end up going broke just trying to sell my house which I will just stay here if thats the case.

AutoMods
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
can you let the buyer hire the inspector? sometime buyers dont trust the sellers hired contractors anyway. for all the buyer knows you could've just hired 3 inspectors until one gave you what you were looking for. just like home inspections or radon, buyers usually do that. are you using a realtor?

warchild145
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
ya im using a realtor. With the cost of the inspection I just figured I would be the one needing to pay for it and thats also what I was advised by my realtor. Also the inspection needs to be done before the deed to the property can be transferred but once its inspected any repairs can be negotiated and the buy can do them or pay to have them done as long as an agreement is in place. The inspectors are certified through the DNR and they have a uniform process so I would think this would void the "hire 3 til i get what I want thing" but I have no idea really.

At least this is my understanding on the matter but I could be wrong.

AutoMods
09-29-2010, 10:49 PM
realtors, home inspectors, septic inspectors all are suppose to follow ethics guidelines but I don't trust anyone.

we all know about realtors already but I was surprised to read an article on how home inspectors will pass a home or fib on stuff to stay on the good side for certain realtors because the realtors bring them lots of business by recommending their clients to them. And if certain inspectors are known to be deal breakers the realtors take them off the list. makes perfect sense

I personally would hire my own people as a buyer. If you had the septic inspected I would just be bringing in my own guy regardless of what you told or showed me you've already done