PDA

View Full Version : VIN plate on dash... make one?

sLoWnStEaDy
09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
OK, it isn't as shady as it sounds LOL...

I put a new dash in the RX7 and the VIN plate is missing. I have the one on the door and the one under the hood stamped into firewall but cops are whiny bitches and will give me a hard time for not having on visible on the dash. I know from experience...

anyways, anyone know who can make me a new one? I have the title I can show in case anyone is "nervous" about it haha....

AutoMods
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
don't know about your vin question but do you have a project thread on that rx7. give me some details.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-25-2010, 05:54 PM
don't know about your vin question but do you have a project thread on that rx7. give me some details.

I had one over on V8RX7... I think there was a little one on here but only for the first couple weeks IIRC...

It's a 90GTU, 4.10 LSD rearend, all heat/AC stuff removed, some weight reduction as well, molded body kit. I got it for $400 from Sharper Image Auto Rebuilder's because the engine was "junk", I threw some ATF in the plug holes, came back the next day with a battery and drove it off the lot :butthead: I drove it for a few months as a rotary.
My buddy had an '88 GT that got stolen, wrecked, then returned to him so he gave me the engine/trans for free. I did the standard 5.0HO/T5 swap and ran it like that for a couple weeks before I added a 200 shot of nitrous and the 4.10 LSD. Launched it a couple times and busted the T5 to pieces.

So, I got a C4, sold all of the EFI stuff and converted it over to carb. Nothing crazy right now, stock 5.0HO long block (mild port work on the E7's) long tube headers, single plane hi-rise intake, Holley 625, HEI dist., MSD 6A ignition, under drive pulleys, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator with Taurus fan, dual remote mount filters, trans and oil cooler, C4 with 2800 stall and Composite X shifter, driveshaft is a TII with a C4 yolk installed and balanced by Saddler Powertrain.

I will be doing a thread on it here soon because I am doing a blow-thru turbo setup on it this winter. My goal was to keep this as CHEAP as possible. So far, I have probably $1K into it. Mainly because I sold the rotary, sold all the heat/AC stuff, sold the factory bumpers, sold the EFI stuff off of the 5.0HO, sold the clutch and master setup from the T-5 etc... Any money I have spent on it is from selling parts off of it. Other than the body kit and the GSS swap kit which came out of my pocket.

Took it to the strip twice, first time I didn't pass inspection, second time I got two runs in. The first was N/A and something like a 12.3X, the second was on nitrous and was quite a bit faster than 11.49 so that was it for the night. On the way home I launched at like 3500~ and blew the T5 apart. No runs since the carb conversion, C4/4.10 install and I won't be getting any in before the turbo conversion so...

sLoWnStEaDy
09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I get a lot of shit for it because of the body kit, neons and giant exhaust tips. In all honesty though, I was trying to keep the "import/ricer" look, makes it that much sweeter when I beat kids in there parents cars.

Inspired by a certain someone on this forum, I just did my most recent mod a couple days ago... LOL the car is dusty and dirty as balls right now and I have junk on top of it because I was digging through finding stuff for the garage sale...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4118/rx7banner.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/rx7banner.jpg/)

SaNdMaNsSi
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I get a lot of shit for it because of the body kit, neons and giant exhaust tips. In all honesty though, I was trying to keep the "import/ricer" look, makes it that much sweeter when I beat kids in there parents cars.

Inspired by a certain someone on this forum, I just did my most recent mod a couple days ago... LOL the car is dusty and dirty as balls right now and I have junk on top of it because I was digging through finding stuff for the garage sale...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4118/rx7banner.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/rx7banner.jpg/)

That fucken rocks. Want to make me a few for my cars?

sLoWnStEaDy
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM

That fucken rocks. Want to make me a few for my cars?

LOL... I didn't do it, it cost me like $25~, planning to put one on the mustang when I get it running too.

Drifte
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM

I had one over on V8RX7... I think there was a little one on here but only for the first couple weeks IIRC...

It's a 90GTU, 4.10 LSD rearend, all heat/AC stuff removed, some weight reduction as well, molded body kit. I got it for $400 from Sharper Image Auto Rebuilder's because the engine was "junk", I threw some ATF in the plug holes, came back the next day with a battery and drove it off the lot :butthead: I drove it for a few months as a rotary.
My buddy had an '88 GT that got stolen, wrecked, then returned to him so he gave me the engine/trans for free. I did the standard 5.0HO/T5 swap and ran it like that for a couple weeks before I added a 200 shot of nitrous and the 4.10 LSD. Launched it a couple times and busted the T5 to pieces.

So, I got a C4, sold all of the EFI stuff and converted it over to carb. Nothing crazy right now, stock 5.0HO long block (mild port work on the E7's) long tube headers, single plane hi-rise intake, Holley 625, HEI dist., MSD 6A ignition, under drive pulleys, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator with Taurus fan, dual remote mount filters, trans and oil cooler, C4 with 2800 stall and Composite X shifter, driveshaft is a TII with a C4 yolk installed and balanced by Saddler Powertrain.

I will be doing a thread on it here soon because I am doing a blow-thru turbo setup on it this winter. My goal was to keep this as CHEAP as possible. So far, I have probably $1K into it. Mainly because I sold the rotary, sold all the heat/AC stuff, sold the factory bumpers, sold the EFI stuff off of the 5.0HO, sold the clutch and master setup from the T-5 etc... Any money I have spent on it is from selling parts off of it. Other than the body kit and the GSS swap kit which came out of my pocket.

Took it to the strip twice, first time I didn't pass inspection, second time I got two runs in. The first was N/A and something like a 12.3X, the second was on nitrous and was quite a bit faster than 11.49 so that was it for the night. On the way home I launched at like 3500~ and blew the T5 apart. No runs since the carb conversion, C4/4.10 install and I won't be getting any in before the turbo conversion so...

What was your best time? I want to see how the ford motor fits the engine bay.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Well, my "best" time isn't really fair to say as I only got in two runs LOL... it was 10.8X I had it posted up on V8RX7... as for how it fits in the engine bay, very nicely I think. Getting ready to start doing the turbo stuff at which time I am going to clean up the engine bay, looks like shit right now.

I will be ditching the power steering so I actually have room for the turbo, then I need to mount the alt. different. I can't sand the way it hangs out there like it does now but, it works. I am going to do a wire tuck and all that good stuff to... clean everything possible out of the engine bay, weld up unused holes, smooth shit out and I think I want to paint the engine bay black, haven't decided 100% on that yet though...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/18/engines003.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/engines003.jpg/)

85XR7Project
09-27-2010, 10:06 AM
God, I love V8 Rx-7's!

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
God, I love V8 Rx-7's!

buy it... :bigthumb:

85XR7Project
09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
God, I love V8 Rx-7's!

buy it... :bigthumb:

I'm broke...

Besides I am kinda wanting to do a different swap idea. E36 BMW with a 5.0 Ford :bigthumb:

Drifte
09-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Well, my "best" time isn't really fair to say as I only got in two runs LOL... it was 10.8X I had it posted up on V8RX7... as for how it fits in the engine bay, very nicely I think. Getting ready to start doing the turbo stuff at which time I am going to clean up the engine bay, looks like shit right now.

I will be ditching the power steering so I actually have room for the turbo, then I need to mount the alt. different. I can't sand the way it hangs out there like it does now but, it works. I am going to do a wire tuck and all that good stuff to... clean everything possible out of the engine bay, weld up unused holes, smooth shit out and I think I want to paint the engine bay black, haven't decided 100% on that yet though...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/18/engines003.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/engines003.jpg/)

Damn, what tires you run? Were you able to get through the traps in 4th gear? Man when did you do this, I neve saw it running around.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Damn, what tires you run? Were you able to get through the traps in 4th gear? Man when did you do this, I neve saw it running around.

it was late spring '09... Back then I had a set of my uncles old tires, 275 drag radials on the stock FC rims. I haven't driven in town at all because it had a salvage title and no chance of passing inspection thanks to the swap. However, I got that taken care of now so come spring, it will be out and about.

I drove it down at my old place a few times with open headers. Luckily I lived in the flood zone so I didn't have shit for neighbors and the ones I did have were doing the same shit with their stock cars and 4-wheelers so they didn't care. They actually like the car a lot, I haven't had a hood on it so it gets a LOT of looks LOL...

as for going through the traps, I was in fourth but I don't remember the RPM. I do remember saying we needed steeper gears and an LSD though. Which is why I switched to the 4.10 LSD from the 3.90 open. That T-5 was from a 4-cyl mustang though so I don't know if that made a ton of difference or not.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 01:39 PM
So... to clarify...

3.90 open diff, 275 DR's, 4-cyl T-5, XTD stage-3, ebay short shifter, engine was the same. It ran 12.3X N/A and 10.8X on the "200" shot (we kinda guessed, had it at a 150 shot, just put jets in that where 15 higher than the 150 jets)

same engine but now I have 4.10 LSD, 10.5" slicks, C4/C5, shift kit, cooler, Composite X shifter. I won't be able to run it now though which kinda sucks. I was hoping to see what kind of a difference it would make but... I already ripped out the nitrous stuff to put in the mustang and traded the long tubes for some shorties so I can get started on the turbo stuff.

I am hoping for anything faster than 10.5 with the blow-thru setup, shouldn't be TOO hard I don't think. The car weighed in at about 2750~ before I did any weight reduction. I am hoping to get to 2600~ with me in it. So really, anything over 400RWHP should do the trick.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
4 cyl t5s have lower first gear and are tons weaker. Not a good tranny to run on a V8.

it held up better than the V8 t-5 that was in it. that blew with a bone stock 5.0HO. My theory was basically that the V8 T5's had a "rougher" life than the 4-banger ones so maybe that would help them last a little longer. IDK... It was a W.C. T5 though, got it with a fresh rebuild off ebay for like $150 shipped.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Well... I found someone that will make me one for $8. Only problem is, I just realized the PLASTIC defrost vent that Mazda decided to attach it to was thrown away because it was busted into pieces...