PDA

View Full Version : carb to EFI for $600~?

sLoWnStEaDy
09-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I am looking for some input as well. I have been planning on running a blow-thru carb setup on the RX7. I was on another forum and mentioned that the carb was about $600 and someone said "you can convert to EFI for that price".

I find this hard to believe but IF I can, I would rather just do that. So, I guess ym question would be what is a good yet cheap (same price as the carb) way to convert to EFI? I would like to keep my carb intake if possible.

DustinsDuster
09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
dont you think you could get the whole top end off of a 5.0L for that? that and the wiring harness off a junked car should be around that price. hell, get it out of a pickup to make it easier on yourself.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-18-2010, 08:36 AM
dont you think you could get the whole top end off of a 5.0L for that? that and the wiring harness off a junked car should be around that price. hell, get it out of a pickup to make it easier on yourself.

That's exactly what I don't want to do... I had 3 complete EFI setups, two from a fox and one from a truck (had the systemax looking intake). If I go EFI, I want to maintain my single plane hi-rise intake so either go TBI or MPFI with a throttle body or something like that...

I am sure I will end up going blow thru but I figured I would check into this. a brand new blow-thru is $600-$700, I can get a used one for $300-$400. Someone mentioned going MegaSquirt for that price ($600~) but I think he is stoned. I would also feel pretty dumb converting an EFI motor to carb then "retrofitting" EFI back onto it! LOL

85XR7Project
09-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I guess I dont understand your aversion to the Ford EFI setup. Plenty of people have used it to make some pretty mean cars. Im pretty sure there are some pretty cost effective ways to go EFI i wouldnt keep this out of the realm of possibility.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I guess I dont understand your aversion to the Ford EFI setup. Plenty of people have used it to make some pretty mean cars. Im pretty sure there are some pretty cost effective ways to go EFI i wouldnt keep this out of the realm of possibility.

nothing against the ford EFI, I have just done that already. when I first built the RX7 it was a 5.0HO EFI engine. someone wanted an EFI setup for their old mustang so I got rid of my whole setup for $650. Then threw all of the carb stuff on it and I enjoyed it much more!

85XR7Project
09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
nah, its cool I was just tossing a wayward thought out there.

DustinsDuster
09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
nothing against the ford EFI, I have just done that already. when I first built the RX7 it was a 5.0HO EFI engine. someone wanted an EFI setup for their old mustang so I got rid of my whole setup for $650. Then threw all of the carb stuff on it and I enjoyed it much more!

well there you go- find someone who's building a 5.0L RX7, and buy their EFI setup for $600....

Deimos
09-19-2010, 04:47 PM
LOL DFI FTW

sLoWnStEaDy
09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
haha... the whole point was that if I do go EFI, I am NOT going to use the ford EFI... and I can get an entire mustang EFI setup for like $200-$300 easily.

black88gt
09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
haha... the whole point was that if I do go EFI, I am NOT going to use the ford EFI... and I can get an entire mustang EFI setup for like $200-$300 easily.

lol where? so for $300 you can get a maf, throttle body computer, harness, injectors, manifold, rails, pump, regulator?

i'd be careful w/ truck stuff theyre batch fire rather than sefi

sLoWnStEaDy
09-19-2010, 06:15 PM

lol where? so for $300 you can get a maf, throttle body computer, harness, injectors, manifold, rails, pump, regulator?

yup... I can. Not going to say where though. I'd never make any money if people knew where I got and how much I paid for all my stuff.

sparkles
09-19-2010, 07:41 PM
LOL DFI FTW
Which you still need to call me about... :HEYYOU:

Deimos
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
already texted you never responded

sparkles
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I never got nothing.

black88gt
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM

yup... I can. Not going to say where though. I'd never make any money if people knew where I got and how much I paid for all my stuff.

LOL

Scott
09-20-2010, 07:40 AM
I think I have 2 "partially" comlete EFI setups sitting around for a 5.0, 1 is older from 88 speed density system and the other is out of a 95 mustang, not sure excatly what is all there though

69gt4speed
09-22-2010, 12:00 AM
The thing about ford efi pretty much you have to have someone good w fords tune it. Otherwise it's a pos. That goes for any brand. Now there are a few high priced self tuning ecu setups but it isn't 600.00 either. fast has one and then massflow which is based on a ford ecu w gm maf so you can use a 4 bore tb like a carb. Maybe u can sell enough stuff to buy this. So you want it all these will do it I looked at that for the 69 for overall driving a efi can't be beat. But costs $$$ The only other way I know of keith to tune it yourself w a stock ford ecu is use a abaco maf. You can then program the transfer function and w a wb o2 do ok. Prob get Jesse worse case to do it.
Fast
http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp
Mass flow
http://www.mass-floefi.com/

Abaco maf
http://www.abacoperformance.com/

Domestic Disturbance
09-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I would also feel pretty dumb converting an EFI motor to carb then "retrofitting" EFI back onto it! LOL

There's a black camaro around here somewhere that runs a carb style single plane with a carb style throttle body efi. Not all bad.

Also rob, I love that FAST Efi kit. I was checking it out at there stand at HRPT, really want to get one eventually and mate it with a 500 in my cadillac.

69gt4speed
09-24-2010, 01:15 AM
^ Ppl are swearing by it... wb o2 tuning feedback like the new 5.0. Hopefully you could set whatever a/f you want then it would do that even racing. That's the future imo. Maybe not even need a lookup table. Or it loads one/ hundred tables automatically and builds the values itself from a/f readings and loads. Either case a huge jump.

69gt4speed
09-24-2010, 01:20 AM
I would also feel pretty dumb converting an EFI motor to carb then "retrofitting" EFI back onto it! LOL

There's a black camaro around here somewhere that runs a carb style single plane with a carb style throttle body efi. Not all bad.

Also rob, I love that FAST Efi kit. I was checking it out at there stand at HRPT, really want to get one eventually and mate it with a 500 in my cadillac.

Black camaro prob runs mid 9's. Nice setup imo. I forget how much more top end hp it made. :yawinkle:

Domestic Disturbance
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Black camaro prob runs mid 9's. Nice setup imo. I forget how much more top end hp it made. :yawinkle:

Oh you've heard of it too?

69gt4speed
09-25-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't claim to be a expert on this, I'm sure I could figure it out w my electronic background. Seriously Keith run to walmart on blairs ferry and buy nov ff & mm, in it they do a efi deal on like a 351 using ez tune fast setup. And they are saying 875 for electronics and harness. It uses a wb o2 sensor like new 5.0 to set a/f. Got a map sensor no maf. So speed density w wb o2 feedback. They claim to have put it on a 150hp to 650+ hp engines and it self tuned itself fine. Seems to me to be a bargain if it can do that.. Pretty epic if that price is valid. Sell couple more amps and speakers. They claim they gained hp letting it tune itself. This is the way of the future no bs if it can do that. 317 hp to 328 at the wheels. I like that for mr joe avg. Wonder if it could tune a turbo or s/c can't see why not just more air.

69gt4speed
09-25-2010, 02:37 AM
If that price is valid hell w a ford ecu. And it prob has window switches etc. for n2o if you like that. Simple easy does all tuning itself. Get it checked on trents dyno for a/f cheap. I think one time Scott liked it, I forget, it was all new then. Def for somebody w a old carb setup be 100 times better for starting and idle. Prob not hp but able to just drive around lot better w more mpg.. Suppose to not even need a laptop. That's epic if it can do all that. Program in a a/f and it does its thing.

69gt4speed
09-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Very sorry Keith, they "mm&ff" forgot a 1 ahead of 875. Looked it up sh-t too bad not 875. Don't believe me or think I'm smoking crack well pg 108 it says "at 875.99 blah blah". Those guys piss me off many times. I just wanted a good deal for you. You know how that is... Plus see how it worked for you. And prob many on this site wonder the same thing.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I said F* EFI, I am going blow-thru carb as I had originally planned. Thanks for all the input though!

85XR7Project
09-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Try http://members.jasnetworks.net/mjsitar/toohighpsi/

Look at his 351TT Thunderbird, he did it on a budget and built a really mean machine, he also used a blow thru carb setup. Its worth a look.

69gt4speed
09-26-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.procharger.com/bebs.shtml there's some info also so walboro 255 inline w a carb boost referenced reg. return style type. Some more ideas.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/cc ... stems.html (http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0510_supercharger_power_guide/fuel_systems.html)

black88gt
09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
255 should work ok, aero 13202, home built 650(i'd also do your own brpvs)

69gt4speed
09-28-2010, 02:27 AM
^ yea what I was thinking for bare min. If he can run low enough boost and do ok u wouldn't really need some fancy ignition control. reg vacuum dist might do. Def it would pull back timing w boost might have to adj. how much.. my 69 had 10 and 15 deg slots, then you have spring choices too. Yea caveman style but it could work.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
My current fuel system should be more than enough I think. I have a Holley blue (110GPH so like 416LPH), -8an fuel line, I will have to ditch the Holley FPR and grab the 13202 though.

The only thing I am not too sure on is the size carb I should get. I am also putting a cam in it (something along the lines of the TFS-51402001) and the turbo is going to be an HX50/52 so like 62mm-68mm and I will be running 8-12 psi depending on the exact turbo.

I was thinking a 650-700. I would probably just buy a Demon blow-thru for like $600 since I am not wanting to try a blow-thru conversion. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MIGH ... ccessories (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MIGHTY-DEMON-650-BARRY-GRANT-BLOW-THRU-CARB-W-LINE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5883caaa90QQitemZ38016 8219280QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries))

black88gt
09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
holley blue wont work

skip the tfs and just get an f cam

sLoWnStEaDy
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
holley blue wont work

skip the tfs and just get an f cam

Y won't the blue work?

answered it myself...

The fuel pump must be able to deliver adequate volume at a much higher pressure than before supercharging. With the typical street/performance system this can be anywhere from 14-24 psi of fuel pressure at max boost, or even more.

69gt4speed
10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Well Keith there is a pretty good article in engine masters doing a turbo blow thru carb setup using a windsor. Might want to check it out. R. Holdener swears by the csu carb. But man its expensive.

black88gt
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
csu is bomb tittys for blow through