PDA

View Full Version : Lifter question

sparkles
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I recently purchased the Comp 292XFI cam for my next build. I called Summit to order basically Summit's "stock" replacement lifter. The engine isn't going to see anything past 6,000RPMs. While I was ordering, the person on the phone told me that they didn't recommend those lifters for anything about a 1/2" max lift. This cam has a max lift of .584. I'm aware of the "pumping up" issue with hydraulic lifters. but I've never heard of a lifter not being suitable above a certain lift. Any ideas?

Scott
09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I've heard of that either.. but I know thats a pretty common part of the engine to fail, I would definetly follow manufacturer recomendation when it comes to lifters, JMHO

sparkles
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I asked Comp about it. This was their response.

In some applications, we don't recommend using certain lifters, but that is usually because of a retaining tray or oiling issue. We really don't recommend anything over .600" lift in the factory roller style lifters because they can lift out of the dogbone that holds them and turn sideways, but you are under that.

Scott
09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
yeah that does make sense, I know when I ran a factory style hydralic roller in my 410 the cam was so big it pushed the "oiling band" of the lifter out of the bore, that would have been terrible if we ran it like that but we noticed it before final assembly and had to have a custom small base circle cam made and new pushrods. If you already have them might as well mock it up and see if you will have any of these issues or not

sparkles
09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I haven't bought any yet. I've basically heard that there can be issues, but that with what I have and am doing, I should be ok. To be honest though, a set of stock style lifters is about $130. This Comp set is only $80 more and to me that's pretty cheap peace of mind. I've gotten away pretty decent money wise on most of everything else. I should probably just drop the coin on the lifters just so I know I won't have any issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-875-16/

They have less pre load to avoid "pumping up" and I'm guessing will handle the higher seat pressures (325psi).