PDA

View Full Version : what radiator car to use?

mustangturbo50
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
i know this seams like a cut and dry subject but i am having a few problems. i built a bbf 460 to a 514 and stuffed it in a 2001 mustang with a built c6.... BECOOL 4 core radiator and a catch can.. the problem is it seams like it keeps blowing coolant into the catch can and filling it up all the time.. now keep in mine every time it does this i fill it back up, is the radiator to full, should i leave it were it is? the car never over heats at all infact it runs about 190 with no cooling fans on at all.. AND I AM RUNNING A 15LB cap... do i need to step it up? or is this just common for that catch can to fill up every once in a while.. im not used to them normally i have one that will allow it to suck back coolant when the motor cools down.. any help or advice would be nice.

Scott
08-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Thats probably normal, the usual water level in a radiator like that will be about a inch or so below the radiator cap. I assume the cap on the radiator is at the highest point of the cooling system right?? if its NOT the highest point then you need to relocate the radiator cap and/or add another fill point.

I would try keeping the coolant level about a inch low "leaves room for it to expand before it pukes into catch can" and drive it for a while and see if the catch can still fills up. good luck with it

69gt4speed
08-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Well I had a 428 69 worse g/d vehicle ever to cool well imo. You got a shroud? I ended up w a 7 blade flex fan w an stock shroud. I had to glue shroud back mo or less. Hmmm other than that I can't think of a issue even w a 514 isn't that much different imo. I had a 4 core brass radiator. Damn cooler than stock 3 core brass. W a/c on in stop/traffic mode it would overheat.

Scott
08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Sounds like it cools fine, he's just worried about the overflow filling up everytime he tops it off I think

mustangturbo50
09-03-2010, 07:08 PM
yes the car never over heats. in fact we put it through a beating on the dyno and it never got above 210 ever with with all that iron is not to hot and i have a 2900 cfm cooling fan a a 160 stat . it never over heats. but since i posted this i stopped filling it and i open the cap and it seams to stay 2 inches below the cap. so im gonna pull that puke tank and put a brass tube on it so it will suck back out if it does go in there, i think thats the problem is when it does put any in there when it is warm it cant suck it out when its cold so if it does it again it just fills up and blows out

slow ride
09-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Use a bottom fill overflow so as the engine heats and cools the coolant can be expelled and drawn back into the radiator.

edit I see you just said something like the above. You got it.

sparkles
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Does this thing live at a shop in Bettendorf?

Deimos
09-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Well I had a 428 69 worse g/d vehicle ever to cool well imo. You got a shroud? I ended up w a 7 blade flex fan w an stock shroud. I had to glue shroud back mo or less. Hmmm other than that I can't think of a issue even w a 514 isn't that much different imo. I had a 4 core brass radiator. Damn cooler than stock 3 core brass. W a/c on in stop/traffic mode it would overheat.

Usually thats normal because your A/C is taking the cold air. So it runs higher anyway (which is why most vehicles have a second electric cooling fan) and shrouds are always a good idea.

mustangturbo50
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
yep it lives at my shop in bettendorf.... and yeah i think i got the over flow thing under control....

but i hope it will live at the track in the next few weeks ;)