PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Rapids area cheap FFL

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 12:35 AM
I traded some stuff for a bunch of guns, looking for an FFL in the area that isn't going to charge me a ton as I have quite a few guns to transfer. Anyone know someone/someplace that won't require me to bend over the counter or drop to my knees......more than once?

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Pawn shop right down here on 6th st. sw is the cheapest I have found... Kleppes I think is the name of it... They are $25, average is $35-$40 from my experience...

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Pawn shop right down here on 6th st. sw is the cheapest I have found... Kleppes I think is the name of it... They are $25, average is $35-$40 from my experience...

Ah. I didn't think about them having an FFL. I will have to stop in and talk to them. Thanks. I stopped by Gander a little while ago and the guy at the counter acted like I was inconveniencing him by asking a straightforward question like "how much is a transfer." They want 75 per gun. They are out of their minds. 75 bucks just to sign for a package from UPS? Give me a break.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Ah. I didn't think about them having an FFL. I will have to stop in and talk to them. Thanks. I stopped by Gander a little while ago and the guy at the counter acted like I was inconveniencing him by asking a straightforward question like "how much is a transfer." They want 75 per gun. They are out of their minds. 75 bucks just to sign for a package from UPS? Give me a break.

It's Gander Mountain, what did you expect? LOL

They offered me $75 for my PT 24/7 .40cal last year. I said "HAHA! You're fucking crazy" to which he replied, "well, it's only a $200~ gun so we couldn't give you much for it." At which time I took like 4 steps to my left and pointed out the EXACT same gun, used, minus a clip and the manual/tools that they where selling for $395!!

Haven't looked at a gun there since. I usually look at pawn stores, gunbroker.com, Sports Outfitters etc... no big name stores like Gander, Cabelas, Scheels etc...

blackx-runner
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I had a card a guy gave me from one of the hawkeye downs shows. I think he charged $25 also, I can't seem to find it right now, but if I find it I'll post up the info.

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Sounds good. I'm just not willing to pay hundreds of dollars and lose all of the profit I'd have out of the trade I'm making. Any good guns at local pawn shops? I don't know of too many pawn shops around anymore. The last time I wanted a gun I went and looked at that place just as you come into Marion that has the big "guns" sign. They had like 8 guns in the entire store. False advertising!

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Haven't looked around much lately... i did just pick up a new gun a few days ago from Sports Outfitters. If you can handle the guy being an asshole, he has some pretty good deals. I picked up my Eddystone 1917 30-06 from him for $250.

Not a crazy deal or anything but I shot a 3/4" group at 100+ yards easily. 18 shots where within 1/4" of each other but two of them got a little out there so it ended up the two shots furthest away from each other where just under 3/4". That was kneeling on the table with my elbow on my knee so I could have been in a better position.

going to the farm later this week to see what I can do at about 1/4 mile.

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I know the guy. He is the one that sold me my Kimber's. He's basically "buy or get out." Doesn't even give you the time to look at anything. I keep buying from him, but his attitude never changes. The only reason I go back is his son evens out the bad attitude and is much easier and nicer to deal with.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I know the guy. He is the one that sold me my Kimber's. He's basically "buy or get out." Doesn't even give you the time to look at anything. I keep buying from him, but his attitude never changes. The only reason I go back is his son evens out the bad attitude and is much easier and nicer to deal with.

REALLY? I have the exact opposite experience. the son is an asshole and the older guy is nice a fuck to me! The "buy or get out" thing is very true but he has stayed open late a few times for me because he knows when I go in there, I leave with a much smaller wallet! He did give me shit the other day because I called an expert about the Eddystone but I told him right out that I could make the call and probably buy the gun or not make the call and leave with nothing.

then I paid sticker price for the gun, bought a scope and told him he had to throw in a free gun case for me. His son through a fit, eventually said "OK" then fucking charged me for the gun case anyways!!! He was asking $375 for my shotgun and I walked out with it for $300 so I know I could have gotten the 30-06 for $200 or less if I tried but I was nice and gave him asking price, then regretted it!!

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM

REALLY? I have the exact opposite experience. the son is an asshole and the older guy is nice a fuck to me! The "buy or get out" thing is very true but he has stayed open late a few times for me because he knows when I go in there, I leave with a much smaller wallet! He did give me shit the other day because I called an expert about the Eddystone but I told him right out that I could make the call and probably buy the gun or not make the call and leave with nothing.

then I paid sticker price for the gun, bought a scope and told him he had to throw in a free gun case for me. His son through a fit, eventually said "OK" then fucking charged me for the gun case anyways!!! He was asking $375 for my shotgun and I walked out with it for $300 so I know I could have gotten the 30-06 for $200 or less if I tried but I was nice and gave him asking price, then regretted it!!

I think the son likes me because he is always asking my expertise on German WWII stuff that is brought in. I think I make them a lot of money. I've spent plenty of money there, so maybe that's why the son likes me. Who knows. For being a gun shop, they've got really good prices on their used stuff. I find stuff cheaper on their shelves than on gunbroker.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
For being a gun shop, they've got really good prices on their used stuff. I find stuff cheaper on their shelves than on gunbroker.

Ditto. That is the only reason I still go there. I cannot stand rude people and/or people who are all about "buy a lot or fuck off" (Like Sperrys). You just cannot beat some of their deals though! I can honestly say that is the ONLY time in my life I have paid sticker price for something.

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
For being a gun shop, they've got really good prices on their used stuff. I find stuff cheaper on their shelves than on gunbroker.

Ditto. That is the only reason I still go there. I cannot stand rude people and/or people who are all about "buy a lot or fuck off" (Like Sperrys). You just cannot beat some of their deals though! I can honestly say that is the ONLY time in my life I have paid sticker price for something.

Same with me. Their Kimbers were cheaper than on Gunbroker so I didn't talk him down a dime. Just bought them. Also walked out with a pump shotty I had no intentions of buying because the price was so good.

Scott
08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Theres a place in marion that does it as well, not sure what they charge though I've never asked but I know people who have used them. Midwest outfitters or something like that, owned by a leo

SaNdMaNsSi
08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I'll be sure to call around. Sounds like 25 per gun is the cheapest rate at the moment, and since I live within seconds of Kleppe's on 6th st, I'm going to give them a try first.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
and since I live within seconds of Kleppe's on 6th st

same here... where you at?

SaNdMaNsSi
08-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Right over by the new 33rd ave bridge.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-10-2010, 08:00 AM

OH... so quite a few second away, LOL... I can hit the place with a rock from my front yard.

SaNdMaNsSi
08-10-2010, 06:28 PM

OH... so quite a few second away, LOL... I can hit the place with a rock from my front yard.

Well...it just depends on how you drive.....

JustinS
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
They are charging 25 per gun? You can fit five serial numbers on a 4473. Find somewhere that wont charge you for each gun!

Why are they going through an FFL anyways, coming from out of state?

SaNdMaNsSi
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, everything coming from Texas.