PDA

View Full Version : going BowFishing tomorrow!

sLoWnStEaDy
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Taking the boat out for my first real attempt at bowfishing. I have messed around a few times down at the Cedar, Indian Creek, McBride etc... but it was more of a "the fish aren't biting so let's see what I can shoot with me bow/arrow type thing. I've got a couple smaller Gar, a few Carp, and a Crappie I accidentally got when I missed a Gar I was aiming for. Made me look like Robin Hood though when I reeled my arrow in with a 3" fish on it! People where amazed, until I told them it was an accident! LOL

Anyways, if you are bored, in the Palo area and want to give it a try, let me know... We seen some 4ft+ carp out there when we where fishing a couple weeks ago. Tried to snag one but just ended up with a big ass scale on the hook...

69gt4speed
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Get rid of those damn carp... and gar. Useless pos fish esp those jumping carp which can kill you or injure you. How much of these carp?

On a recent day, Briney and his stepson, Jeremy Fisher, took in about 10,000 to 12,000 pounds of Asian carp from the Illinois River. Their catch ended up at Schafer Fisheries, a processing plant in Thomson, Ill.

So the third-generation fisherman changed course. And now the carp are Briney's bread and butter: He focuses his fishing on Asian carp.

The fish weigh at least 15-to-25 pounds each, and some are much larger. They fetch about 14 cents a pound. That's not a lot, but Briney says the huge volume of carp he catches more than makes up for the low price-per-pound. Since he started fishing for carp, Briney says he's doubled his income.

Briney used to think carp were ugly. "But now, I think they look pretty good," he says, laughing, noting that they bring "about $4 a fish."

Side note do the calculation of .14 x 10000 damn that's 1.4k a day possible.

Scott
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
you break alot of arrows doing that?? Seems like the arrow would go through the fish "or if you miss" and hit a rock and break it. Always been curious about that, seems like it would be alot of fun

sLoWnStEaDy
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
It is fun! no broken arrows yet and I have hit plenty of rocks and such. Didn't get shit today except a really bad sun burn! Brandon got one with my spear, I got one in the tail but it split and got away.

We ended up just going to the flooded fields up in Palo. Only seen like 4-5 fish and I caught a big ass turtle! About as big around as a Basket ball. The water was waist deep through most of it which was part of the problem. Once it drops down a little bit you can see them moving through the grass so they are MUCH easier to spot and get.

Here is the one he got, didn't get a picture of the turtle because we left the camera in the car and that turtle was HEAVY and pissed off. The picture is at that "Quarry road" right off of Blairsferry rd. before the Green Belt bridge by Palo if you are familiar with the area. We parked there and hunted/fished across the street. He was being a smart ass with some funny "Steve-O" lookin pose but he started laughing and lost it so...
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6292/brandoncarp001.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/brandoncarp001.jpg/)