PDA

View Full Version : Dont Go To HORN Automotive.

Jappbox
06-17-2010, 06:29 AM
So I took my head (2jz supra head) to Horn in marion, thinking I would keep it local still since sperry was busy, D&R said 2+ weeks out, and horn said 1 week out so i took it there knowing I had a few friends with good luck from there. So this is what they had to do, clean it, and plain the head, put in new valves springs retaniers and my new cams, check the valve lash and adjust still you get the right valve lash for the cam specs. I had everything there and bought (they had no parts to get) so I get phone call and they go.. o we had 3 DAYS! in this, so its going to be $1653 !!!! WHAT! I said no way who did it a 9 year old kid? So long story short I blew up on them and said they should have called me and so on and ened up geting them to take $1050 for there soposed 24 hours labor on something other shops would have charged $300-$500 MAX! I could have got a ported Head from Titan for close to that cost! O well lessen learned. So DO NOT take ANY head that has BUCKETS (TOYOTA) to horn, They cant do them in a timly order.

nick88
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I had a a 7m head rebuilt, plained, cleaned, 5 angle, new valves, guides, top end gasket set and everything new that I could get and it was around $750 with parts, I forgot who I took it to though, and I ended up trading it for a cressida after that engine went.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I use them a lot and have had entire engines put together for less than that! They built my modular for $900 cash, they supplied the rings and bearings as well. That also included decking my block, milling my heads, installing new cams and some other small stuff.

best thing to do is talk to Chris and ONLY Chris... tell him you need to know a price up front and that you won't pay a penny more. He has done quite a bit of stuff for me since I told Sperry's to shove it and I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with them.

StreetSweeper
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Gotta stay where your bread is buttered Jesse!

OldSkoolRCR
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
HORN's a crook!

Jappbox
06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
:(

Drifte
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
ive had good luck with horn but no head work done. SO dont take the suby heads their huh.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
ive had good luck with horn but no head work done. SO dont take the suby heads their huh.

IDK... I didn't have any issues with my DOHC modular heads, or the 4G63T head or anything they have ever done for me... I think this is a rare incident... To be 100% honest, I think this is the first time I have ever heard anything negative about horn. Sperry's I hear shit about at least once a week. Stewart's very rarely and is usually just price based bitching. I have yet to hear anything bad about D&R out in Marion. I have used them a couple times with no issues but they are much more expensive than Horn most of the time.

Deimos
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
No Horn for me but fine for other people

Drifte
06-17-2010, 10:10 PM

IDK... I didn't have any issues with my DOHC modular heads, or the 4G63T head or anything they have ever done for me... I think this is a rare incident... To be 100% honest, I think this is the first time I have ever heard anything negative about horn. Sperry's I hear shit about at least once a week. Stewart's very rarely and is usually just price based bitching. I have yet to hear anything bad about D&R out in Marion. I have used them a couple times with no issues but they are much more expensive than Horn most of the time.

sounds buckets related. Maybe they arent familiar with them?

Jappbox
06-18-2010, 06:23 AM
correct i think you cant take them anything with buckets, aka toyota heads, they told me they do them but it takes them a while I guess. I told them he shouldnt have had to take it apart 8 times to get the rigth valve lash. Its not like I gave them a POS head, this was a 50k mile head with no problems, it was not even "oil orange" But o well. Its done its over with I just will not take anything back there to have to worry about the $65-$80 a hour shop rate.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-18-2010, 06:57 AM
correct i think you cant take them anything with buckets, aka toyota heads, they told me they do them but it takes them a while I guess. I told them he shouldnt have had to take it apart 8 times to get the rigth valve lash. Its not like I gave them a POS head, this was a 50k mile head with no problems, it was not even "oil orange" But o well. Its done its over with I just will not take anything back there to have to worry about the $65-$80 a hour shop rate.

$70/hr

Drifte
06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Subys got the buckets on some years too..IDK what to do with them myself, but I understand they take some adjustments.

stangvortech
06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I like horn they have always been quick cheap and do good work. idk what to tell ya

StreetSweeper
06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Im not going to sit on here and bash on shops! I know where my bread is buttered and thats where i have allways went and thats where i will remain no matter what the issue is.. There are stories for every place. D&R Horn Sperrys ETC.. It really dont matter its no different then chevy guys not going to a ford dealership or vise versa everyone has there spot!

Xboosted23X
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Im not going to sit on here and bash on shops! I know where my bread is buttered and thats where i have allways went and thats where i will remain no matter what the issue is.. There are stories for every place. D&R Horn Sperrys ETC.. It really dont matter its no different then chevy guys not going to a ford dealership or vise versa everyone has there spot!

So if your stuff sat there for 13 weeks not being touched you would be ok with that? I know I wouldn't be happy if my stuff sat for a month. Your paying for a service to be done.

I have had work done at horn and they kinda dicked me around. And I had a head checked at Sperry and it was done in a timely fashion.

Domestic Disturbance
06-18-2010, 11:09 PM

Exactly. Its not a 100% perfect industry. Its a talent based process that has a margin of error. The most important aspect besides quality of work is the quality of customer support. I've heard bad stories about all of them, and I've seen work from all of them. Atleast they did inform you it would take awhile, so they are aware that the bucket heads aren't their specialty. And they tried to help you out too. Not bad. Hows the quality of work on them?

bowtiebuba
06-19-2010, 03:11 AM
I like horn they have always been quick cheap and do good work. idk what to tell ya

have you had them do any machine work?

Jappbox
06-19-2010, 06:55 AM
No they didnt inform me it would take a while till after, and I told them they should have said something, and they should have called me when they started saying, "hey you know were going to have 1000+ labor in this. I told them all this when i was telling them Im not paying $1650 . The work looks good, like a normal cleaned head.

Deimos
06-19-2010, 08:50 AM
At least it wasn't four years lol

DustinsDuster
06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
i havent got to run my 4G63, so i cant comment on the longevity or anything like that, but Performance Concepts did a pretty good job getting my 4G63 together quickly, even though it wasnt something they normally build at all. they wont be the cheapest choice, but their work looks top-notch in all the stuff i've seen tthem build. just my .02.