PDA

View Full Version : '87 Mustang

sLoWnStEaDy
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
First off... fuck you guys!! I KNOW I have too many "projects" and I know I switch them around a lot but whatcha gonna do...

I got sick of paint removal on the Capri and realized by the time I was done removing the paint and getting it to look the way I want I am sure summer would be almost gone. Not to mention I was going to spend $500~ to replace the 7.5" with an 8.8", buy quarter windows, repair the bumpers etc... So, I ended up grabbing this '88 from my buddy Curtis for $350! Already setup with a disc brake 8.8" rear end with 3.73 gears. I am going to be putting the fiberglass hood on it as well as the spoiler and possibly the front/rear ground effects from the Capri...

everything should be going in this week sometime. I have to do an engine swap for Curtis' friend (2.3 to 5.0) and then do a head gasket job on Curtis' new fox so not sure when I will have time but I will find some. I have 5 fox bodies out back right now, along with the RX7 and Mach one in the garage then the van and Durango out front. looks like a "C.R. Cars" or "Midwest Imports" down here...

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7651/88mustang001.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9498/88mustang002.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4274/88mustang003.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1659/88mustang004.jpg

sLoWnStEaDy
06-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Also looking for paint color suggestions... not going to "flat black" this one, I was thinking Black Cherry Pearl or a nice but I can't decide...

Luminatorz34
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
youre already off to a better start with the 88 keith.....i love the kandy tangerine that house of kolors has

sLoWnStEaDy
06-08-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah, off to a much better start I would say...

as for the kandy tangerine, not a big fan of orange really. I think I am going to do some experimenting with a dark purple or blue base and then try out some pearls. First, I will do what I always do when I paint a car, go to Kar Kolors and look through a million pages and see if anything pops out at me.

I might even try something different like a semi-gloss black with some dark blue pearl racing stripes or something... IDK, I will be thinking about it and looking around for ideas...

69gt4speed
06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey if you decide to sell that mod mtr let me know please. We could put it in that 3rd gen camaro w a sullivan intake and carb and put like a 200 shot on it..

sLoWnStEaDy
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey if you decide to sell that mod mtr let me know please. We could put it in that 3rd gen camaro w a sullivan intake and carb and put like a 200 shot on it..

Actually, I sold it about a month ago. I decided to focus on restoring the car and THEN build a motor... You know, like you usually build a car... LOL...

I got $3K out of the short block, then about $1K~ out of heads, intake, injectors etc... only things I have left are the timing cover, Taylor plug wires, valve covers, timing chain setup, engine harness, etc... It was one of those "in the moment" type sales. Someone was driving through the alley, seen the cars out back and we started talking. he mentioned he had a '96 Cobra with a blown motor and he was going to build a new short block. I showed him mine and he just offered me $3K for the short block. Since I only had about $2200~ into it I let it go.

Clinical
06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
lol are you serious? you sold the mod motor?!

Jebus, I was all pumped to see that thing :(

sLoWnStEaDy
06-09-2010, 08:49 AM
lol are you serious? you sold the mod motor?!

Jebus, I was all pumped to see that thing :(

yeah... :( i will still happen, just not right away. I need to have a car I can actually enjoy driving and take to the track and what not. I was planning to just get the motor in and have some fun but at that power level the car wouldn't have lasted long I am sure...

sparkles
06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Also looking for paint color suggestions... not going to "flat black" this one, I was thinking Black Cherry Pearl or a nice but I can't decide...

I'd suggest shit brown to match all these other half done projects you got going on but sell before you finish.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM

I'd suggest shit brown to match all these other half done projects you got going on but sell before you finish.

shit brown... like your boyfriends dick when he is done fucking you in the ass? Or, I can paint it green, like money... you know, the stuff you don't have which is why you hate on everyone else who can afford to get bored and change their mind and have a few projects and do what they want...

What "unfinished projects" are you talking about? I finish 90% of my projects, I just sell them soon after. Finished the Trans Am, finished the Fiero, Finished the 3KGT, finished the RX7, finished the CRX, finished the '66 Cadillac, finished the RX7....

so, which cars are you referring to?

Michael_mx6_2gen
06-09-2010, 10:06 PM
What year of rx you got there? If it was roughly a 94 I'll take it off your hands haha. Thought about trying to take a twin turbo set up and the flip up head lights and stuff off of one and put in on the mx

sLoWnStEaDy
06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
What year of rx you got there? If it was roughly a 94 I'll take it off your hands haha. Thought about trying to take a twin turbo set up and the flip up head lights and stuff off of one and put in on the mx

not a big fan of FD's... mine is an FC, '90 GTU to be exact, with a SBF/C4 swap

sparkles
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM
:biggrin: Knew that'd get you going.

No money, lol. You have no idea who I am nor my financial situation, but I can assure you, you're way in left field with that comment. And really? You finish 90% of your projects? Shit dude, you just posted that POS Capri YESTERDAY for fucks sake. Not to mention you just said you sold the mod motor for the Mach because "I want to focus on restoring the car". Yeah right dude. You found out that it would actually take some talent and money to accomplish probably and decided it'd be easier to tell people you were going to throw a SBF and a carb in (you know, that easy way). Not to mention it'll probably be for sale in another month or so anyway. Just another fabulous thing you just had to have but became a victim of your ADD.

Anyway, carry on D bag. Awaiting some retarded reply on how your shit is so much more badass and faster than mine....

85XR7Project
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Wow dude, wow.

Maybe he just likes to do a bunch of cars at once, don't hate on the guy.

69gt4speed
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
You know Sparkles I can't rag on Keith too hard, I got a purebred lasha apso from him for $0 had her bred for 100.00 and she had 7 pups and I sold 6 for 200.00 to 250 a piece. I've gave him crap before about projects and well w his condition he can't really help it. I was just hoping to scoop up the mod mtr for a backup engine for 03. :bigthumb: What he does is his business, I find it entertaining at least. You just never know what his next project will be...

sparkles
06-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Ehh, I understand that. Just felt like saying something shitty beings how he did the same earlier with no provocation on my end. I've been stuck working out of town, staying in this god forsaken hotel room for the last 2 months, bored as hell. Figured I'd stir the pot.

sLoWnStEaDy
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
People like you drive me fukkin nuts... I guess I just don't have that thirteen year old mentality that I need to start shit when I get bored. then again it may be because I have projects to work on and a family to take care of so I don't really get bored...

Say what you will, I finish 90% of my projects if not more. I may not do EVERYTHING i planned from the start but pretty close. As for this and the Capri, anyone who wouldn't switch them out is fucking retarded. an '82 Capri with weeks worth of paint prep work, 7.5" rearend, needs quarter windows, have to change the brake booster out to fit the big block, and blah blah...

OR

1988 Mustang with an 8.8" disc brake rear end with 3.73 gears, ready for paint, all good glass, already has the right brake booster, already has shocks/springs setup for drag racing etc... for the same price as the 8.8" I was going to buy for the Capri. I didn't "abandon" this project at all, I just switched bodies...

sLoWnStEaDy
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
as for the Mach One... that car won;t be going anywhere, I have been wanting one of those since I was like 10 years old. I got the motor built, got it mounted in the car etc... then realized I was going to put 800+ horsepower though a bone stock '73 chassis and realized I should probably start there first. So, I sold the motor and used some of that money to buy a bunch of stuff to restore it first. I am still planning the turbo modular but after I get the car ready to handle the power.

I admit, I got way ahead of myself on that one!

69gt4speed
06-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey either one of you going to h&w race sat.? I figure if u are in a motel room sparkles prob not but I'd ask anyway...

sLoWnStEaDy
06-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey either one of you going to h&w race sat.? I figure if u are in a motel room sparkles prob not but I'd ask anyway...

Pretty sure storms/rain tomorrow though so I doubt it... I am finishing up a different project today (1990 Mustang GT) and was hoping to take it up just for shits and giggles but like i said, pretty sure it is going to be rained out...

69gt4speed
06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Yea it does not look promisiing and if it hints at rain not going at least in the blue car as it has m/t drag radials. Always something...
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyho ... begDay=163 (http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USIA0894?begHour=12&begDay=163)
http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandg ... begDay=163 (http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/hourbyhour/USIA0894?begHour=3&begDay=163)

sLoWnStEaDy
06-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, progress has been slow... Had a lot of shit happen recently including Landon getting stitches, Skye's Grandma passing, me getting sicker than shit, and someone busting windows out of our mini van for some reason...

Anyways, here is a little update I guess... I got the motor all assembled, when checking my valve train geometry however, I realized I need some shorter push rods on the exhaust valves so I will have to take care of that soon. Also got the old 3-spoke steering wheel from the Capri put on, got the old style gauges from the Capri cleaned up and I messed with them a little bit too just for shits and giggles and because I was bored. Just painted the surround and then used some yellow paint to "freshen up" the needles. A lot of you will probably think it is "ricey" or whatever but I like them ok... Planning to have someone (probably TAB) make up a little aluminum dash for me (small one, about the size of the stock gauge surround is all I want for a dash.) and using the old style gauges if possible.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3143/mustangmotot001.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2088/mustangmotot002.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/883/mustangmotot003.jpg

the gauges before:
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3900/capri007.jpg
the gauges after:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9042/mustanggauges002.jpg

sLoWnStEaDy
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Got a decent amount of work done on the hood. 6 layers of fiberglass underneath, 2 layers on top, started the "long strand" fiberglass yesterday. Still got a lot of work to do obviously but you can see the basic look and what not. I like it!!

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4315/hoodc.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/hoodc.jpg/)

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7568/hood001.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/hood001.jpg/)

sparkles
09-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Damn nice man. Wish I had the time to try little projects like that.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Prepare to be shocked... I just sold this car. Only thing left was the fuel lines and ignition wiring too! :(

On a good note, I kept the engine/trans to put in the Mach One and I have PLENTY of money from selling the Fox Body roller (I got 4x what I paid for it) to get the floors and such done on the Mach One. This means, come spring, I should be rollin around in the Mach One!

LT1Dan
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Prepare to be shocked... I just sold this car. Only thing left was the fuel lines and ignition wiring too! :(

On a good note, I got to keep the engine/trans to put in the Mach One and I have PLENTY of money from selling the Fox Body roller to get the floors and such done on the Mach One. This means, come spring... I should be rollin around in the Mach One!

Thats what you say now...Just wait til you sell that too...haha jk Had to say it. I'd rather see you rolling in the Mach One as opposed to another Fox out on the streets. Will be nice to see something different out there.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

On a good note, I got to keep the engine/trans to put in the Mach One and I have PLENTY of money from selling the Fox Body roller to get the floors and such done on the Mach One. This means, come spring... I should be rollin around in the Mach One!

Thats what you say now...Just wait til you sell that too...haha jk Had to say it. I'd rather see you rolling in the Mach One as opposed to another Fox out on the streets. Will be nice to see something different out there.

I honestly don't think I will sell the Mach One. The 71-73 was really my first love in the car world.I am all about making a dollar, I basically paid $500 for the Mach One, I had $3500 offer on it a couple months back and turned it down so I think this one is here to stay.

I am looking for a 69-70 Mach One or Fastback too. Now I have to start a build thread for the Mach One, I ordered my floors, front/rear spoiler and an 8.8" disc brake rear for it already. Got a rear that is about 2.5"-3" narrower so I can fit some 305+ rear tires after I minitub it. Now that I have a giant, heated and A/C shop I have no excuses not to work on it!

LT1Dan
11-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I honestly don't think I will sell the Mach One. The 71-73 was really my first love in the car world.I am all about making a dollar, I basically paid $500 for the Mach One, I had $3500 offer on it a couple months back and turned it down so I think this one is here to stay.

I am looking for a 69-70 Mach One or Fastback too. Now I have to start a build thread for the Mach One, I ordered my floors, front/rear spoiler and an 8.8" disc brake rear for it already. Got a rear that is about 2.5"-3" narrower so I can fit some 305+ rear tires after I minitub it. Now that I have a giant, heated and A/C shop I have no excuses not to work on it!

Yeah I think I've seen you say you would never sell it, was just poking a little fun. I don't have much room to talk about getting motivation to work on shit. Mines been broken all summer and I kept finding excuses.

You should have a badass ride when you're all done with it next year.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Yeah I think I've seen you say you would never sell it, was just poking a little fun. I don't have much room to talk about getting motivation to work on shit. Mines been broken all summer and I kept finding excuses.

You should have a badass ride when you're all done with it next year.

LOL, I know you were playin. I get a lot of shit and honestly, I don't like finishing shit 90% then selling it but I just can't turn down a cash offer especially when it is 4x what I have in the project.

85XR7Project
11-16-2010, 05:52 AM
I'd rather see the 4.6 turbo you had planned for the Mach 1 in the first place but I am glad its back on track.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2010, 07:15 AM
I'd rather see the 4.6 turbo you had planned for the Mach 1 in the first place but I am glad its back on track.

Don't worry, you will. The 460/C6 is going in so that I can have it running/driving come spring. Only "change of plans" is that I am just going to run an 03-04 Cobra SC setup instead of the turbo.

KobleTsi
11-16-2010, 09:32 AM
should do the newer gt500 motors, they are alot better, 5.4 s/c

85XR7Project
11-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Thats kinda pricey although he could go with a Navigator 5.4 DOHC and save mucho dinero. Either way you go Keith I think this is a sweet project, it'd be even more badass if you grafted an IRS in and went for a more handling oriented 71-73 Stang since I have yet to see someone do that.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Thats kinda pricey although he could go with a Navigator 5.4 DOHC and save mucho dinero. Either way you go Keith I think this is a sweet project, it'd be even more badass if you grafted an IRS in and went for a more handling oriented 71-73 Stang since I have yet to see someone do that.

no go on the IRS... I'm more straight line than handling. I could toy with the RX7 though if I want to do something handling wise.

KobleTsi
11-16-2010, 09:45 AM
all of the newer modular motors are pricey though, you could build a nasty 351 or 302 for the price of them, my buddy sells cobra parts for a living and he gets rediculous money out of the motors of them

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
all of the newer modular motors are pricey though, you could build a nasty 351 or 302 for the price of them, my buddy sells cobra parts for a living and he gets rediculous money out of the motors of them

Nah, mod motors are cheap if you know where to look. I got my 60K mile 4.6L DOHC COMPLETE motor and trans for $200. It was an older aluminum, Teksid block with the older dual port heads. You can get the newer heads for like $200~ now days as well, same as the forged Cobra crank.

Basically, what I am getting at is that you can build a pretty nice 4.6L DOHC for around $1500. The one I built for the Mach One originally only cost me about $1800~ and that was after all the machine work and everything. It's now in a turbo'd SN95 running high 8's. Now, if you buy a Cobra engine, yeah, $5k+ easily. but what's the point? you can build something better for less.

Personally, I am watching Copart and sites like that trying to get a good deal on a wrecked Cobra.

KobleTsi
11-16-2010, 10:11 AM
yeah, my buddy pays anywhere from 8500-10k for them, and sells the motor and tranny (along with every wire in the car) for 7500-8500 (always under 40k miles though)

however it goes down just dont put an ls motor in it, they make good power but in my opinnion they are one of the uglyest looking motors ever built.

a 4.6 is cheap if its from anything but a cobra, but thats all i've ever seen him deal with is 03-04 cobras. good luck with your build and what would be way cooler... dropping that ford motor in that nova

85XR7Project
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I still think it would have been sweet if you had done the 6.8 V10 idea you and I had talked about when I got that 306 from ya. I've been thinking about a V10 swap ever since.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I still think it would have been sweet if you had done the 6.8 V10 idea you and I had talked about when I got that 306 from ya. I've been thinking about a V10 swap ever since.

Yeah, it would be crazy but a 5K redline would suck.

85XR7Project
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Yeah, it would be crazy but a 5K redline would suck.

That could be remedied. just takes some old fashioned inginuity. :rock: