PDA

View Full Version : WTB Mountain Bike

n8kerns
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
My girlfriend has been bugging me to get a bike to go riding. I've been keeping my eye out on craigslist and been hitting up bike shops but I figured I'd check here too see if anybody has one.

Looking to spend around 350 give or take, if the deal is good enough I may be able to make more, cheaper always works too. I'm looking for a Trek, Specialized or maybe any other non-department store brand. I went to a Trek dealer the other day and tried out a few bikes, I am looking for something close to a 16" frame.

I am new to the whole "nice" bike scene, haven't ridden a bike since 8th grade and have always had wal-mart bikes (Mongoose). So I'm open to any buying and bicycling tips also. =)

Thanks

Drifte
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I know of a small framed cannondale for sale. He was asking $400 for it. If I sold my Trek (bruiser 3) I'd do it for $500, also a small frame (14.5") but it's a little different in its sizing and has a bar extension.

Most of Scheels bikes start at $500, but they sometimes have a cheaper model.

n8kerns
05-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I think a full suspension is a little out of my league, as much as I'd like one I don't think its necessary =P. Do you have more information on the Cannondale?

I went to scheels and was pretty surprised at the prices on their bikes. A Trek 3700 there is right around $350. Europa in CF was a little more expensive but I think that is to be expected with a smaller company. I will be going to Bike Tech today, they deal with Specialized. It seems to be that I can either get a lesser model new bike or a higher model used bike.

Edit: Just got back from scheels, Trek 3700 for $299. Depending on what Cannondale your friend has I may be getting that Trek.

Drifte
05-29-2010, 10:12 PM
What size frame were you looking at? The cannondale is a small, not sure on exact inches. Good bike, with that neat mono front shock. I just picked up a Trek 4500 for my gf to ride with me, awesome bike, Im pretty jealous of it really. 3700 is probably perfect for you, and you get the warranty, size choices, new bike smell...

We're going riding tomorrow, CF is full of awesome on road trails. A friend recently mentioned theirs a nice offroad trail just north of 1st st headed out of town. Forget the road. We're riding in CR or north liberty. She's not really ready for sugar bottom or similar adventures

n8kerns
05-29-2010, 11:44 PM
I was looking at 16" Trek. I also went to Bike Tech and tried out some Specialized but their frames curve up so even their 15" frame was uncomfortable to stand over, I was disappointed.

The other bike I have been considering if they still have it is
http://ames.craigslist.org/bik/1744974663.html

It is basically down to that used 4300 or a brand new 3700. I will probably go with the new one since like you said it would most likely be plenty good enough and I also like shiny new things =P And the 3700 is in town, not 80 miles away lol.

Btw I will take note of that off-road trail, if you know of any other ones around the waterloo/cedar falls area let me know because I don't know of many/any. We both live really close to paved bike paths (she lives by George Wyth Park) but I'm not buying a mountain bike just to ride paved.

Deimos
05-30-2010, 05:50 AM
halls bicycle go down and see them. They got new treks at the 350 level

sLoWnStEaDy
05-30-2010, 09:19 AM
damn... I still have my $200~ Mongoose mountain bike I bought back in like 2000~. I don't ride much anymore though, when I did it was all off road crazy shit that got me hurt a lot. McBride is still my favorite! almost vertical hills, paths 6"~ from a 10ft drop into the lake, surrounded by trees LOL...

Not sure how I got away without breaking a single bone there. busted me face a few times, bent a couple rims too but nothing too bad. We are just getting back into it but Skye just rode a bike for the first time ever last summer so...

Drifte
05-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Well back when I attended UNI and had entire days with nothing to do, I would get lost for that day on all of the trails. The paved trails go all over the place. Then lead to some dirt trails that are really easy to get lost on. That bike shop of University ave in the little strip mall has maps.

DustinsDuster
05-30-2010, 10:34 AM
for reference colton, that Kink fram i gave you has a 21" top tube...

Ricky
06-01-2010, 08:07 AM
i had a Mongoose.... :( me and colton did some riding at kirkwood and my tranny blew (the derailer snapped in half and the rear wheel sucked up the gears and chain) when i was being nice. Looks like i need a new bike now.