PDA

View Full Version : My windows 7 experience

Drifte
05-28-2010, 08:29 PM
what a bunch of hype. I purchased a new laptop to be able to use a computer throughout the house, maybe on the porch or in the garage and some tuning. Initial problems..nothing makes sense. All the talk of "if you use a mac you'll love windows 7." What?..no, I use a mac, and I love my mac! Since the windows 7 computer entered my home everything's been a disaster, which seems odd to say, until you think well...what if a mouse could chew through those make-believe cables known as wireless internet? Well that would screw everything up, network comes in and out, printers develop a mind of their own. And computers go in and out of their internet connection. yet all at the same time perfectly connected...

The first assumed answer, I need to update my wireless router firmware.. NO, in the case of my wrt110, bad idea, old firmware is the ONLY good firmware. (the only good varmint poontang, is dead varmint poontang).

Next step, what does windows 7 and windows vista have in common that have been screwing with my networks since their existence? Answer: IPv6 (its the latest address protocol that will eventually replace IPv4). Which explains why my old room-mates computer would literally take over my network when he would hop on the internet, necessitating he shut off his wireless and plug in. Well cut that crap out and lets see what happens. Hey stuff starts working again, but it doesn't seem to be the end all answer. I am still an avid believer in windows XP and osx leapord. And my new laptop sits in a corner while I decide what to do with it now.

And the 3 day weekend begins. :biggrin:

69gt4speed
05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Well got windows 7 desktop and u are exactly on target. I tried to share a printer through my router. One day it worked fine from my vista laptop through the router and into and through the win 7 desktop to the printer . Now I can't get it to work so I said fk it and now use my usb stick. It says everything is fine but when i browse the network can't see or find the printer. Wtf did it go? Well that's my issue so far.

Drifte
05-28-2010, 11:14 PM
you can shut off the Ipv6 in vista and windows 7. but as far as reliability goes, cant beat a cat5.

derek072887
05-29-2010, 09:55 AM
how do you shut that off?

Caleb
05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Lol at you guys having problems using Windows 7. Vista was an abortion of a operating system compared to 7. I've never had a problem with Windows 7 with networking other than a issue on Steam which was Steams fault.

Caleb
05-29-2010, 11:13 AM
If you're using a Linksys router, first couple of recommendations, if you're not using a wireless N network card, either get one more enable wireless G only to solidify a better signal for G adapters. If you're wanting a better range, again either get a wireless N adapter and or set your router for 40mhz wide range.

If you're possibly having conflicting IP's. Manually set an address for everyone in IPv4 so when you reset the router, each computer will pick up where it left off and connection should stay solid. When the DHCP is turned on I noticed sometimes 2 computers would get the same IP and issues would start (couldn't join games together, slowing internet, etc). Apparently this happens when you reset your router and modem without unplugging all your computers from the router. Unplug Modem, then router ( and unplug all cables plugged into the back of it), wait 30 seconds, plug modem in until all lights come up, plug in router till all the lights come back up. Then start plugging back in all the computers one at a time and wait about 10-15 seconds for each computer to connect. And then proceed to connect wireless to the internet again.

I'm not assuming you're stupid, just some people don't know this shit.

And always make sure, everyone runs a home network setup so they are all on same page detecting network printers, shared folders, and so forth. But above all and I've always agreed with this. Wired > Wireless.

biohazard
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I have 7 on all 4 of my main computers and I am so much happier with it than I was with XP or Vista, even on my netbook.

NewSpeedSteed
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I have 7 on all 4 of my main computers and I am so much happier with it than I was with XP or Vista, even on my netbook.
+1

I have an XP desktop, a Linux desktop as well as a Windows 7 laptop and I have started using 7 more than my Linux desktop. I went to unix years ago and told myself I wouldn't go back to windows (bad experiences) and I really like 7.