PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been attacked by a bird

z28z34man
05-28-2010, 02:12 AM
So I was ridding my bike down Alburnett road towards Alburnett just south of county home road, and I notice a shadow behind me. Before I new it I felt something rustling on top of my helmet. I shook my head around and I saw a black bird with a little red spot on it's chest fly away. When I got to the stop sign at county home road, I stopped and took a took a drink. I looked across the ditch and there was the bird sitting on a fence post eying me down. A little disturbed I continued my bike ride to Alburnett. I got to Alburnett with out incident and took a little break. On the way back I had a good tail wind and was ridding considerably faster ( averaging 25 MPH with 30 MPH burst ). At about a half a mile north of county home road, I see the shadow again. The bird swooped from behind and got a good grip this time. As I shook my head wildly trying to get the bird off i veered to the right on to the gravel shoulder. at that point the bird let go, but it was already to late to save my self. I was going 25 MPH on a loose gravel shoulder with what seemed to be a 10' ditch to my side. I could see the news headline "man killed by bird" run threw my head. To try to save my self i changed coarse towards the ditch thinking that it is not going to heart as bad crashing on the grass as it would on the loose gravel. I went down the ditch slightly out of saddle to maintain the best balance I could. I went half way up the other side of the ditch came back down and leveled off at the bottom. I lightly pressed my breaks came to a stop unclipped and got off the bike. I was so thankful that I survived the ordeal with out a scratch and my bike escaped with no damage. Then I put my bike on my shoulder and walked up the ditch and rode the rest of the way home keeping an eye on every bird I saw.

With that and the ninja i saw earlier this year on my bike this has been a very interesting year of riding

tvmendoza
05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
that is really weird, what color is your helmet?

Xboosted23X
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been attacked also riding my bike. It was the same spot but different days. But I didn't have a helmet on. I would of unclipped pretty quick if I was headed for the ditch.

Drifte
05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Attacked my a goose at sugarbottom. Big hissing birds are scary.

..did you say ninja?!

slow ride
05-28-2010, 03:24 PM
They are redwing blackbrids and usually build nests by the side of the road and swoop on those that might disturb them. They always pissed me off when I was jogging and what not. Funny thing is I don't remember them that much growing up.

I've had a goose fly after me on the downtown bike path through CR also. I just turned around and it was right on my ass. Just protecting there nest, but I really wanted to break it's neck.

z28z34man
05-28-2010, 05:00 PM
that is really weird, what color is your helmet?

It is white with just a bit of silver on the top. it is one of the bell slant helmets

did you say ninja?!

I was on the cedar river trail (the one that goes down town by the river). I was at the train track crossing by the y and there was this Asian boy that looked like he was 16 dressed in a white ninja outfit with a samurai sword. I down shifted swung wide and cranked on it. After I was clear I let my friend catch up and told him that I didn't need to be faster than the ninja I just needed to be faster than him.

z28z34man
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
So i took the same rout Alburnett today and in the exact same area i got attacked again. This time i shook my head and cranked on it before he got to my helmet. i got swooped at few more times and a few times i had to get off my bike and they circled me for a minuet or so. at one point i had 6 of these buggers circling like 5 feet away from me.

needles to say dose any one have a taurus judge to show these guys whose boss

Drifte
06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
haha, I think my brother bought a Taurus Judge. But he lives in Florida. I'd avoid that road now.