PDA

View Full Version : EFI guys

Scott
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Just thought I'd share some interesting info, apparently heres the new record holder for a IRS vette from Keith Berry. He initially ran the engine on EFI with nitrous.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/427fogger/vettebefore.jpg

Then converted to a carb and set a record with it "newest pics from his phone"
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg178/427fogger/vetteafter.jpg

"5.35 1/8 & 8.37 1/4 letting out early. Both are records for Corvette IRS." his quote not mine. Just find it funny how EFI guys always laugh at carb guys for being stuck in the stone ages but when you need to get the job done its usually got a carb on it!! He did it on short order too, still got injectors on it for some reason.. hmm

Guch
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Maybe it had something to do with changing his nitrous system? He must have figured a power solution :biggrin:

Scott
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
LOL yeah good point!! He's still got the under intake system on it though

Domestic Disturbance
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
so what you are saying here is that carbs aren't junk? Haha kidding. That is a sick setup though.

snickerlicker
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Sounds like he didn't know how to tune the EFI...... Can't figure it out, throw out the EFI. Thata boy!!!

slow ride
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
For the track only car purpose built for WOT all the time there is nothing wrong with a carb. Most make more power in wild NA setups with them, but for boost or daily driver application FI rules. Did anyone notice they switched to a distruibtor also? That car has a RPM built turbo 400 I believe with a ZR1 diff so it's not exactly c5 parts holding it together. It will fly when it's dialed in all the way though.

TbTalon94
04-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Sounds like he didn't know how to tune the EFI...... Can't figure it out, throw out the EFI. Thata boy!!!

sounds about right.

Scott
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Nah I think they got the EFI thing figured out pretty good, heres a link to Berry motorsports website, I think this is his brother, been in the 6's on a drag radial with a EFI twin 90mm turbo big block.
http://www.berrymotorsports.net/index.php?page=thecar
I know EFI definetly has its place and its king with certain set-ups thats for sure, I just found it really strange for a late model vette "of all vehicle" to have a carburated nitrous engine that has been already had a big dollar EFI setup on it. Maybe like you said he just got tired of :banghead: and just wanted the car to work. Or maybe he actually did a comparison and it was faster or more consistant with the carb. Not nessecarily trying to start a argument but open peoples eyes that it doesnt always take a million dollars, a dyno, big name tuners blah blah to run good.

K-ville
04-21-2010, 08:33 AM
i like everything... my ratrod shop truck will have a carbd smallblock huffin alotta spray!

ProRauder
04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
seems to have also sprouted a distributor in the seconf picture. Sure that's the same motor?

Deimos
04-21-2010, 08:12 PM
The carb with fuel injectors?

Scott
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah its the same motor and same car. It turns out the class he's running in doesnt allow EFI, must be the same rule with COP ignition but Im not sure. That was his best times with the carb on it but that also doesnt mean EFI is nessecarily slower, must of just needed more time tuning and on the dyno I dont know, I was just surprised to see a carb on that year vette. and the fuel rails are plugged off, must of just left in the injectors in to plug the holes.

black88gt
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
better atomization always helps

69gt4speed
04-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Proper air and fuel doesn't matter at 70 deg. starting and running at zero degrees is a big deal to some ppl. And as far as I know with forced induction efi still rules being more precise I guess. Carb w fuel injectors is tbi. I have not seen one bit of performance difference w nitrous and a carb vs efi. Course that's pretty cave man anyway. Slap a fogger or plate on about it. No sh-t if it didn't work.

Anyway I have a 3rd gen camaro... we will see w reg bs parts if it runs. I want the fkr out of my driveway. I think it could waste some you lsx/ford/buick ppl w some drag radials. I've drove it myself, doesn't do bad imo. So almost stock not funny besides a few changes. And they are heavy turds...you know.

Domestic Disturbance
04-21-2010, 11:38 PM
whens it gonna be ready to boogie rob?

Deimos
04-22-2010, 05:42 AM
they aren't that heavy

69gt4speed
04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Well guys got the gasket kit today.... Now this has stock junk 1.94 72? cc heads w lt hdrs. Mike just can't swing 700.00.. Today it was raining and grinding cast iron is a mess other words cobra didn't sit in rain to grind in middle of that side. Its got some performer intake and 600 holley. Damn I'll prob buy him a 2.5k stall for birthday and 3 angle valve job... Then I need to get a coworker to bead blast the hdrs. It will be soon, then we jack around... w some dr of some kind should do ok. As it is like driving on ice. Converter is a stock 12". w 3.55 posi. Sorry Scotty for the distraction, I guess we will see how a tiny carbed 400 works vs these f.i. 347 ls1's. I want this thing out of my driveway.

DustinsDuster
04-24-2010, 07:57 AM
i believe Josh(bowtiebuba on here) has a SBC Victor intake for sale if youd be interested. just throwing it out there.

69gt4speed
04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Oh we'll just go with alum dual plane. Just another junkyard mtr. not near as nice as the duster mtr was. I just want it gone, have a lil fun w it.

DustinsDuster
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
the Duster's shortblock wasnt anything special at all- stock crank and rods, hypereutechtic pistons. the motor made power because of the top end, but it still had a dual plane intake.

69gt4speed
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Same deal here, just no heads, 230 deg .050 .5 lift cam. Damn rain.