PDA

View Full Version : looking for a tig welder

K-ville
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Ive always wanted to learn how to tig and im never gunna unless I buy one so im looking for one! Ive got a pitbike id like to trade for one. Im in no hurry by anymeans but let me know if you guys know of one for sale thanks!

mainly looking for something for smaller stuff but want something i could weld a cage with

DustinsDuster
04-14-2010, 03:45 AM
one for sale on here:

http://www.iowaautoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13614

K-ville
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
badass welder but alot more than im looking for

Scott
04-14-2010, 07:46 AM
I would recomend taking some welding classes first, that allows you to see how good you are at it and possibly try out a few different machines and see what you like. Usually you buy the type of machine you learn on so your familiar with it

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I would recomend taking some welding classes first, that allows you to see how good you are at it and possibly try out a few different machines and see what you like. Usually you buy the type of machine you learn on so your familiar with it

X2... I took a "continued education" class out at kirkwood. Cost me a few hundred buck, was like 4 hours a night, 2-3 nights a week IIRC. Well worth the money/time I spent....

K-ville
04-14-2010, 08:17 PM
yea if i do that ill have to wait until winter im at the shop about 12-14 hours a day. Ive got a friend of a friend who welds all day at work then builds sprint car cages at night so i think should be able to show me the ropes. thanks for the advice

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
yea if i do that ill have to wait until winter im at the shop about 12-14 hours a day. Ive got a friend of a friend who welds all day at work then builds sprint car cages at night so i think should be able to show me the ropes. thanks for the advice

show you the ropes and then let you hang yourself with them...

In all honesty, getting a strong, safe, leak free TIG weld isn't TOO hard, getting it to look really nice on the other hand can be a bitch.