PDA

View Full Version : My version of fuck my life

Luminatorz34
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok so i have had a dead knock sensor in my camaro for about 6 months. being as it was completley dead, is was causing my ecu to freak out on me thinking the motor was knocking like hell. so it has pulled all the timing it can, and thrown as much fuel at it that it can, and well obviously it wont help...i was averaging mid 20's for fuel mileage, and my most recent estimate, ahs put me down to 11mpg. which is a joke....and not to mention the lack of power, and how it just doesnt sound right..

i went ahead and got me 2 new knock sensors (better to replace them both while im in there). so i pulled my intake (very carefully as the ls1'ers have to worry about the vacuum line and wiring thats wrapped around the oil pressure sending unit. and i had successfully removed the intake and left the oil pressure sensor in tact (awesome) so i proceed to remove my knock sensors my front one (of which wasnt throwing the code) was all chalky and white, like a old battery does when its just done. so i knew this one was on its last leg. oh well im in here anyways...so i remove the rear (opf which was throwing the code) was 1/4 the way up with oil on it. so i had a oil leak that basically flooded/shorted out the sensor...i cleaned the hole out really good. and proceeded to take my valley pan off to gain access to the gaskets for the knock sensor area. the front one which was still good was still pressed in to my valley pan cover...the rear one stuck onto the post for the knock sensor "pole" so i pulled it out, and pressed it back into the valley pan via block of wood and hammer...so its in there good now and isnt coming loose anytime soon.

so i put the valley pan cover back on, connect my coolant passage tubes, install new knock sensors and plug them in. install my intake (which was surprisingly easy to install) button everything back up. get in the car prime the fuel pump a few times and hit the key. and she screamed to life. but i noticed my oil pressure was over 100psi at idle which scared the shit out of me. im wondering wtf did i do wrong...posted my situation up on ls1.com and withing 4 minutes i had 5 guys tell me i snapped my oil pressure sender off...

so out i went to remove my intake and sure enough the oil pressure sender was snapped off and hanging...so there goes another 45 bucks that i do not have (being as i literally started a job last week and had not been unemployed since december before hand, and my first check was 130 bucks...which is a tease, cuz i need to pay for/buy shit and i cant but oh well...so i borrow money from my parents for the oil pressure sender..had it ordered, and they say it was supposed to be in on saturday. but nope, came in late monday afternoon...so i was a little antzy to say the least...got the oil pressure sender, and found out i nddedd a special socket for this. as the sensro is about 3 inches long and a standard deep well wont clear it. found the socket for another 10 bucks. get home(yesterday) and install the pressure sender.

carefully installed my intake and re routed the vacuum line that broke the sender in the first place. and got my intake installed safely witghout a snag, and i even stuffed my gigantic hands back there to feel for the sender, yup it was still intact. i button the intake back up and tighetn everything and plug all my crap back in....once again purge the fuel pump a few times, hit the key BAM, back to life she came sounding strong as hell again. which just gave me a butterfly in my stomach feeling "my girl is all better now" so i let it warm up, shiuit it off and restart. now it popps a little bit then hesitates then starts...and now have a check engine light again...so now im pissed all over again...so i take it to a guy i know of whom is a mechanic and het let me run codes in my car...came back as a low map pressure signal (vacuum leak). soo now im pissed even more thinking i broke something or another. get my car back home and i hear a slight whistling. turns out it was my egr tube going into my intake was hissing..i tightened it, but hear another slight whistle that sounds like its coming from the middle of my intake..i re torque the intake bolts. which were all still tight. so im still just puzzled....i let it sit for about 7 hours and went out last nite and it started just perfect again, no poopping or anything like that, started like a normal car again...i shut it off and restart same popping and stuttering start again. so im just lost in ideas..

.so i leave it for the nite goto work lastnite. come home this morning start it, and once again normal start, shut it off and restart samme popping shit...i leave it running (which it runs fine, no idle surging or popping or racing) and i hear a whistle again..wiggle my egr tube and its hissing again. so i loosen the bolt and twist the egr tube to where the fun part happen the tube came out and the car immediatly dies...i notice my egr tube seal is magically gone....sucked into the damn intake...so now i damn near have a nervous break down, and yes ill admit i started crying...what was supposed to be a simple knock sensor install now will turn into me ripping the heads off the motor to find this damn seal...i pull the intake off and find one port on my intake gasket is crushed flat, so im thinking thats where my problem is. i get the flashlight out and search the intake inside and out and cant find it. so im thinking my fears are true i sucke d it into the motor...look into the cylinders asbest as i could and cant see it....so i grab the intake and look some more nothing...

so im pissed off enough that tools are flying again, and im punching walls....i grab the intake and shake it in rage and plop, heres the fucking sseal..so i cried alittle more now that i didnt fuck my motor up...so thats where i sit now..i need 40 bucks for intake gaskets for this car, of which once again i dont have....but atleast i may have the fucking bitch figured out....i knew i shoulda bought intake gaskets off the start, but lsx's have reusable seals on everything, head gaskets, waterpump seals, throttel body seals everything is basically o-rings and can be reusedm, and about 10 guys told me i could resue mine...so yeah here i am needing the intake gaskets after all....and i have no clue where to get the money,.....so yeah, fuck this shit..im getting cleaned up and fucking going to bed

this is how she sits now

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/camaro/054.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/Stevecz28/camaro/?action=view&current=054.jpg)

Ricky
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
holy giant book batman.

That sucks a lot but hopefully you have everything figured out and its only up hill from here.

FiFdYnUtZ
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
you cant reuse head gaskets on these cars...and i also broke off my pressure sender once while doing my intake swap, its too damn easy to break off..

Domestic Disturbance
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
if you want to get rid of that egr I have block off plates for the manifolds. The intake is just a frost plug

Luminatorz34
03-24-2010, 04:34 PM
how much u want for the block offs???? cuz i have no money, lol

sLoWnStEaDy
03-24-2010, 05:37 PM
You have the intake gaskets with the o-ring seals around the ports then? If so, rock Auto sells the seal kits for like $20 or you can get the standard type gaskets for like $25...

Domestic Disturbance
03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
free fifty, I'm not using them. They were like 15 bucks new from some tech sponsor, so not worth trying to resell. They are still on my old manifolds. Like I said though, you would need to get the block off for the intake which I'm pretty sure is just a frost plug.

Luminatorz34
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
yes keith i have the oring style intake gaskets....i found them at autozone for 22 bucks also. but have to order, and i literally have 5 bucks to my name till next friday (payday) fuck this paid every 2 week bs.

domestic, ill have to hit u up when i have more than 5 bucks....is it all 3 block off's?? or how many do u have?

Domestic Disturbance
03-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Yup, I think there's 3. 2 on 1 manifold and one of the other for the air and egr. Looks like I'll have to go on an easter egg hunt through the garage to find them.

snickerlicker
03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
4th gen F-body FTL to work on....

Luminatorz34
03-25-2010, 10:00 AM
yes im finding that out...it wouldnt be so bad if half the motor wasnt under a cowl.....and i dont exaclty have the junior whopper hands either.....so it looks like i got into a fist fight with a rabid racoon also. haha

Ricky
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
.and i dont exactly have the junior whopper hands either.....

HAHAHAHA! GOLD! I love it!

Clinical
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM

One of the main reasons I'd love an LS1 / LT1 swapped third-gen over a 4th gen.

+ I like third-gens in general but yeah :)

sLoWnStEaDy
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
yes im finding that out...it wouldnt be so bad if half the motor wasnt under a cowl.....and i dont exaclty have the junior whopper hands either.....so it looks like i got into a fist fight with a rabid racoon also. haha

This is the reason I taught/teach Skye how to work on cars! some places my hands just WILL NOT fit!! nothing like having a pair of little girl hands around when you need them!

I wish I could teach Landon already LOL, those little 3-year old hands would come in handy too!!! couple more years, I guarantee that kid will be one of the first to know his fractions and SAE/Metric equivalents LOL

Drifte
03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
ls7 swapped FD, /story.

Luminatorz34
03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
well even if i had a vette, or a gto, this would be 800% easier to work on...but no, i had to fall in love with the damn f-body haha

Clinical
03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I know there've been 4th gen owners that see an LT1 / LS1 swapped car like a third-gen/foxbody and are like "So that's what that end of the motor looks like!"

sLoWnStEaDy
03-25-2010, 03:02 PM
LOL... they need to put a "dog house" in those damn cars!! Reminds me of the first time I popped the hood on the an Astro WAAAAAAY back in the day. I was like how the fuck are you suppose to do anything on these? Then Mr. Hining (sp?) introduced me to the dog house and the rest was history...

sparkles
03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
ls7 swapped FD, /story.
Werd

Domestic Disturbance
03-25-2010, 10:03 PM

One of the main reasons I'd love an LS1 / LT1 swapped third-gen over a 4th gen.

+ I like third-gens in general but yeah :)

You've got a good car to do it with too. :bigthumb:

And speaking of heining, I guess they pushed him out of the program. Saw him once last summer. Seemed like old age was catching up to him, but still can't believe they'd want to get rid of him.

Luminatorz34
03-26-2010, 08:39 AM
well my parents bought me my intake gasket set...hopefully it will be here tomorrow, if not then monday....god i just wanna get this beotch running/on the road again

Luminatorz34
03-26-2010, 02:22 PM
You have the intake gaskets with the o-ring seals around the ports then? If so, rock Auto sells the seal kits for like $20 or you can get the standard type gaskets for like $25...

damn man, i just saw rockauto.com on tv, and noticed u said something about it too...parts are cheap as shit there...wish i knew that before ordering thru autozone again :(

sLoWnStEaDy
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM

damn man, i just saw rockauto.com on tv, and noticed u said something about it too...parts are cheap as shit there...wish i knew that before ordering thru autozone again :(

Yeah, I buy pretty much everything from them. we just did a tune-up (plugs, wires, dist. cap, dist. rotor) on the Jeep I sold James for less than $20. I got him 4 new ball joints for like $70 shipped, or so when they where like $75 each around here, the hydraulic things for the rear hatch we got for like $8 each and they where closer to $40 each around town etc....

Also, if you just search on google there are usually a bunch of discount codes floating around so you can get shit even cheaper!

Luminatorz34
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
nice...thanks for the info....does rock auto charge out the ass for shipping?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
nice...thanks for the info....does rock auto charge out the ass for shipping?

no... the only time when shipping sucks is if the stuff is coming from different warehouses. Like we ordered all of that stuff for the Jeep at once and some was coming from "warehouse A" and some from "warehouse B" so we had to pay shipping twice but it was only like $8 each anyways...

do check around though because SOMETIMES after you add the shipping it is almost the same price as getting it from a store. Shipping is quick too, everything I ordered monday morning got here wednesday.

Luminatorz34
03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
finally got the intake gaskets in..these are close to double the thicknes than that of the original gaskets....good gasket mating material here....hopefully this will be a good day

Luminatorz34
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
well heres the good and bad....got it all together, and it runs fine with no vacuum leaks...the bad, now my map sensor took a shit....data logged it, and the map sensor voltage stayed steady at -.02v at idle, or if i gave it any gas....