PDA

View Full Version : Does this make sense to you?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Trying to decide if the 10.5" bullit will fit on my Mach One rear... just an FYI, a 17x9 will fit the rear with no spacers but a lot of people are using 1"-1.5" spacers to move the wheels outward for a better "look". so, that tells us a 9" with NO spacer fits and a 9" with 1.5" od spacing fits... now I am just going to quote what I said on the other forum.

A 17x9 will fit the rear without spacers at all (most people are running spacer just to improve stance but they are not NEEDED for clearance). Which would mean there is 5" of backspacing... 4.5" would be zero offset, +24mm converts to about .95" of positive offset so there is more rim (roughly 5.5") behind the hub than in front (roughly 3.5") of it.
A 17x10.5 with +27mm offset would convert to like 1" of positive offset. Now that would mean there is about 6.25" of backspacing which would mean there is now 6.25" behind the hub now rather than the 5.5" you had with a 9" wide rim.

So wouldn't it be as simple as running spacers? I mean if you are using a 1" spacer on a 10.5" rim that would put about (.25" less) the same amount of wheel BEHIND the hub as if you where running a 17x9 with no spacer. so then you would have 5.25" behind the hub and 5.25" in front of the hub. Now we know a 17x9 with a 1" spacer would put 4.5" of wheel in front of the hub and some people using 1.5" spacer on the rear to get a little better stance which would then put 5" on front of the hub with a 9" rim...

SO, what I am saying is a 10.5" rim with a 1" spacer would put almost the same amount (.25" less) of rim behind the hub as a 9" rim with no spacer (which we know fits) and only .25" of rim more in front of the hub as a 9" with a 1.5" spacer (which we also know works).

EDIT: after reading this over, ".25inch less behind the hub and .25inch more in front of the hub" so a .75" spacer would make it the same as a 9" rim with no spacer behind the hub (which we know works) and the same as a 9" rim with a 1.25" spacer in front of the hub (which we also know works)

FiFdYnUtZ
03-03-2010, 08:59 PM
fuck it if it doesnt fit, get the hammer out!

sLoWnStEaDy
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
fuck it if it doesnt fit, get the hammer out!

LOL... this isn't a firewall/header clearance problem... Although the BFH helped out a lot when I put the long tubes on the RX5.0

Scott
03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
If all that mumbo gumbo that dude wrote is true then yes they should fit, I didnt think there was enough room in that year mustang for a very wide tire/wheel combo though. Dont know what to tell ya, better just buy some for a good deal and sell em if they dont fit

sLoWnStEaDy
03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
If all that mumbo gumbo that dude wrote is true then yes they should fit, I didnt think there was enough room in that year mustang for a very wide tire/wheel combo though. Dont know what to tell ya, better just buy some for a good deal and sell em if they dont fit

I wrote all that "mumbo gumbo" LOL. I am going to buy set of the cheap ones from OE wheels, like $450 shipped or so.

No one could tell me they tried and they didn't fit, everyone just said "no, they won't fit" but when I asked, no one had actually TRIED to put them on, everyone had just heard they wouldn't fit so. However as I described above, it makes sense to me and they should fit just fine with the right spacer. I will find out, ordering them tonight...

69gt4speed
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Here is a pic of a 17x9 03 cobra wheel and m/t dr tire on the 69. It needs a small spacer. I can't imagine a 10.5" rim fitting at least on a 67/70. No way would it fit on front and my fenders are already rolled.
http://photos.imageevent.com/69gt4speed/carforumpics/69%20w%2003%20rim4.jpg

sLoWnStEaDy
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
those are factory cobras? Do you know the offset/backspacing on them?

I am getting a LOT of "conflicting information". Main issue being the years of the vehicles, here is a '66 with a 1" spacer in back (he said he ran no spacers at first, then added them just to get a better looking stance) hard to tell from the picture but there appears to still be a decent amount of room on the outside, picture is with the 1" spacers...

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267733443055821900.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

I am going to just order them and see what happens. If nothing else I should be able to just sell them locally and probably come out a couple hundred dollars ahead anyways. The problem I heard from one guy on his '71 was that with no spacers the 10.5" was coming to close to the INNER well but was almost perfect looking on the outside. Since I am doing a "mini-tub" type deal that should take care of it. As I said though, I guess the only way to know for sure is to try! I just won't be happy unless I can fit a 305+ (preferable a 325) on the back.

I mean my math/logic above says it will fit just fine with the right spacers so....

Ricky
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
go for it. then when you get it to work tell/show all the guys that told you it couldn't be done.

69gt4speed
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Well those tires are factory cobra sized 275/40/17. Like I said wheels would fit w a small 1/4 to 3/8 spacer and for whatever reason one side was tighter than the other. I know ppl and co. are getting more on target what will fit, I just had these laying around and wondered what if cause no had checked it that i knew. It is what whatever back space they say 9" 03 cobra replicas are. And those afs wheels seem identical to the factory 03 wheels. The rear end is a 9" 69 stang traction lock. It seems 71/73 had a larger wheel well I do believe but what works idk especially up front.
http://photos.imageevent.com/69gt4speed/carforumpics/websize/69%20w%2003%20rim3.jpg