PDA

View Full Version : electric race car tracks

sLoWnStEaDy
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Anyone remember the trick to getting these things to work? I took some fine sandpaper to the contact points on the cars but that didn't do much. You can put your hand across the track and it will shock you (when it is working) so I pulled the triggers back all the way and held it and it did nothing, I kept holding it and about 10 seconds later it shocked me for a quick second then did nothing again.

bought the whole thing for $5 and it is like $200~ new but a great deal doesn't make it work LOL...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/19 ... v_XSG10001 (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/190-4525059-7950548?asin=B0024XMUDQ&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0024XMUDQ&CPNG=toys&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001)

Luminatorz34
02-22-2010, 11:08 PM
sounds to me like the transformer the acual power supply might be fried...im sure a local hbby shop would have one, or even ebay

69gt4speed
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
You need a volt meter to check for voltage it could be several things bad. Anyway w everything plugged in should be rated transformer voltage across rails w go control all the way in. I used to scotch brite the rails... most the time on the tyco brand it was the car brushes or the track connectors.There is a reostat in the hand controls that do wear out. You will need a voltmeter for the mach build anyway might as well buy one now. A 12v test light will work probably also depending on transformer rating. last I remember they were 12 to 24v dc depending on brand etc.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I have a nice multimeter... I tried checking the voltage on the rails. I held the trigger down for like a minute and it just worked for like 5 seconds or so randomly in the middle of that one minute time period...

DustinsDuster
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
sounds like the controllers might be bad as well

85XR7Project
02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Me and my dad used to race bigger versions of those, still have a few too. It was a blast!

sparkles
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Check contenuity between the leads on the controllers.

69gt4speed
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Well the controllers use nichrome wire and a sliding contact to work. Basically a long solenoid style winding and a moving contact. the shorter the length of contact/less resistance the faster the mtr turns. Those lil windings get broken/intermittant after a while like any volume control. I threw all my stuff away yrs ago.

Drifte
02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
wire in a new potentiometer for the control and hook up a new transformer. Just make sure polarity is the same and volts/amps are real close, I have loads of left over from old electronics. I just swap em from one to another if they match up.

you'll have the most ballin rail track car in town. Oh, and go ahead an cryo freeze the electric motors, get a little more out of em.