View Full Version : Toyota's recall fix for stuck throttles

snickerlicker
01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/10sec5oh/Toyota.jpg

blackx-runner
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
LOL nice one.
I have one of the effected vehicles - kind of-
its so hard to follow whats really going on and what all they are doing across the different lines. It changes daily now. But i think that might be the best suggestion. :bigthumb:

SaNdMaNsSi
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
If anyone is stupid enough to die from a floormat, I call that darwinism.

Ricky
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Agreed.... or really a stuck throttle.... If you have more then 5 seconds to react to it you should be fine.... turn the car off? Nutral? Brakes?

blackx-runner
01-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Agreed.... or really a stuck throttle.... If you have more then 5 seconds to react to it you should be fine.... turn the car off? Nutral? Brakes?

I agree 100%, but how do you turn off a car with a push button ignition?
Now they are, or were talking- its hard to keep up with the changes - about reflashing the ecu so that if you are going 30+ mph and press both the brakes and the gas it shuts off fuel. Looks like no more heel toe, or nice smokey burnouts.

Scott
01-29-2010, 04:06 PM
shut it off and lock the steering wheel!!

Ricky
01-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Now they are, or were talking- its hard to keep up with the changes - about reflashing the ecu so that if you are going 30+ mph and press both the brakes and the gas it shuts off fuel. Looks like no more heel toe, or nice smokey burnouts.

Forgot about the damn push button starts.... People are losing more and more control of there car... soon they wont be fun to drive

snickerlicker
01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
With the push button start on those throttle stickin toyotas you have to keep it pushed in for 3 seconds s to turn it off.How many if anybody knew that before the throttle stuck wide open on them, sometimes in traffic no less. Isn't as easy as just turning the ignition to the off position......

allgo
01-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Where r all the toyota lovers at now

allgo
01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah by thr way toyota lead the car industry in 2009 with the most re calls guess 2010 is a lock to

Jappbox
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
shuting the car off wont lock the stearing wheel, only if your in Park. Who came up with Drive by wire anyways? just put a cable back in them..just wait till another big company has the same problem. LOL

blackx-runner
01-29-2010, 07:36 PM
shuting the car off wont lock the stearing wheel, only if your in Park. Who came up with Drive by wire anyways? just put a cable back in them..just wait till another big company has the same problem. LOL

Haven't heard anything about it being the drive by wire. There are 2 seperate issues. Dumbasses who cant install floor mats, and actual pedal assemblies becoming stuck down. Toyota is being over cautious and calling back far more than they need to to "retard proof" the floor mat issue. The rest are for the pedals sticking. And these 2 issues overlap across some of the line.
Even ford is looking into recalls on some of their European vehicles with pedal assemblies built by the same manufacturer.

OldSkoolRCR
01-29-2010, 07:55 PM

In the ditch :biggrin:

snickerlicker
01-29-2010, 08:07 PM

In the ditch :biggrin:

LOL!!! So true

Domestic Disturbance
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Actually an american brand had a small issue within the last year and it was posted up on here in an almost celebratory form... so what goes around comes around. Not pointing fingers. Is another reason to hate our pile camry though

Deimos
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Because the official fault lies with the throttle pedal sensor. I can totally see them putting a cable in like Jesse said. But if you're not smart enough to shift to nuetral then natural selection served its purpose.

blackx-runner
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/dmdunne01/1-1.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/dmdunne01/2-1.jpg

mechanical sticking, not a sensor issue.
At least that's the latest from my insider at toyota.

snickerlicker
01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
If people really believe it was caused by incorrectly installed floor mats, then I have ocean front property in Iowa I would love to sell you.....

blackx-runner
01-29-2010, 10:07 PM
If people really believe it was caused by incorrectly installed floor mats, then I have ocean front property in Iowa I would love to sell you.....

You are correct

There is also a 19 page report on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ that goes further into detail about the recall. It's actually a good read because NHTSA has found no fault of the floor mats causing accidents; which is why this is now no longer considered a floor mat issue.

but toyota is still recalling and "retard proofing" vehicles. Basically making it so that even if the Joe dumbass installs his mats wrong or stacks more than one mat on top of each other they won't cause issues.

McKeever
01-29-2010, 11:51 PM
I'v never been a big fan of the newer toyotas, I prefer the older stuff. But at least toyota is trying to fix the problem, unlike a similar case that happened to my sisters 2000 Buick Regal. She had the car in cruise control and the car kept on speeding up without her foot on the gas. And then the cruise control would not turn off after hitting the breaks. The car finally slowed down after riding the brakes for quite a few miles. But the point is, a complaint was made to buick and nothing was done about it.

snickerlicker
01-30-2010, 12:34 AM
The only reason Toyota is finally fixing the problem is because people are dying from it. The NHTSA contacted them about an investigation coming soon and they caved in. The whole floor mat excuse was a lame attempt to cover up the REAL problem. Deception at it's best.

blackx-runner
01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
And I am still not sure they know what the real problem is, either that or they don't have a sure fix solution to it yet. It just seems they keep adding to the recall to show that they are at least doing something.
Have I lost faith in Toyota, not really. It was an unforseen issue, or a manufacturing defect that showed up over time. All the major manufacturers have had them and most likely will have them again in the future. I just hope it gets fixed and we can move on to the next big recall.
Hopefully that one will be about the design flaw in the trucks with the 4.0L and 6mt. The lack of pilot bearing/bushing and bad design of the bell housing is just eating parts up and blowing up clutches.
Really what kind of genius decided that you don't need to support the input shaft at the crank. Its a good damn 50 cent bushing!!! Stick with what works and be done with it. <end rant>
Anyone interested in helping with a trans swap in a tacoma PM me :biggrin:

Drifte
01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh yeah by thr way toyota lead the car industry in 2009 with the most re calls guess 2010 is a lock to

I'v never been a big fan of the newer toyotas, I prefer the older stuff. But at least toyota is trying to fix the problem, unlike a similar case that happened to my sisters 2000 Buick Regal. She had the car in cruise control and the car kept on speeding up without her foot on the gas. And then the cruise control would not turn off after hitting the breaks. The car finally slowed down after riding the brakes for quite a few miles. But the point is, a complaint was made to buick and nothing was done about it.

Stupid mistake I agree completely, but at least they are fixing it...

SaNdMaNsSi
01-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Oh no....according to just about every liberal news outlet your brakes will fail if you use them, and turning off the ignition will kill you instantly because, as a PC limp-dicked society, you no longer have the arm strength to operate a vehicle without power steering...

SaNdMaNsSi
01-30-2010, 10:15 AM

As far as I know, in my experience, vehicles with the push button shut off when you push it again. Also, theres always neutral. Hell, toss the FOB out the window, see if that helps.

Fire Hawk
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Highway patrol man that died in the lexus was due to the dealership installing all weather floor mats not designed for the car causing them it to get stuck under the pedal is what I've heard/read. I hate all weather floor mats as I've had several get stuck under both the brake and gas pedal in several vehicles over the years. I'd rather mess up the carpet on the floor than have an all weather mat in my car.

There's some good articles out there explaining what's going on and this is toyota's first major recall in over 50 years while how many recalls have happen from the other companies? (Whole other subject)

The metal that's used in the gas pedals made from CTS is breaking down causing it to stick over time compared the materials that Denso has been using for the non affected vehicles. Atleast toyota is stopping production, putting in the correct material pedals vs just letting them roll out the door with the old defective parts.

z28z34man
01-31-2010, 01:31 AM
have any of you actually tried turning the ignition off driving down the highway. the lack of vacuum assist for the breaks dosen't make make the breaks the most effective when you have 4 wheel disk.

69gt4speed
01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Bottom line... this proves toyota like most any co. is out to maximize profits until the sh-t gets so deep they can't make it go away. Trust me they knew the real story right from the start, if not they are really fkd up. Did you hear car insurance co. are now scared of toyota claims and checking each toyota damage claim?

85XR7Project
01-31-2010, 06:54 AM
You know I had heard of a serious problem on older Toyota trucks (Steering Rod) that would have merited a HUGE amount of those being recalled but Toyota somewhat swept it under the rug.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/vide ... l-coverup/ (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/video-toyota-grilled-over-possible-truck-recall-coverup/)

blackx-runner
01-31-2010, 09:59 AM
I am sure there are a lot of issues with a lot of cars over all the major makers that "get swept under the rug" Maybe no issues as serious and widespread as this, but issues that should have warranted a recall.

Jappbox
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Every company has their problems. and to the no brake assist, sorry but I had my car shut off on me doing 180mph one time and i was able to easly get it to a stop with no brake assist and 4 rotors. and no power stearing, inless your a 85 year old lady you can do it. I think its the media and or government trying to blow this out of perpotion to try and get people to buy the new Government funded Crysler or GM product... wonder what the Honda recal will be...LOL

Ricky
01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Highway patrol man that died in the lexus was due to the dealership installing all weather floor mats not designed for the car causing them it to get stuck under the pedal is what I've heard/read. I hate all weather floor mats as I've had several get stuck under both the brake and gas pedal in several vehicles over the years. I'd rather mess up the carpet on the floor than have an all weather mat in my car.

There's some good articles out there explaining what's going on and this is toyota's first major recall in over 50 years while how many recalls have happen from the other companies? (Whole other subject)

The metal that's used in the gas pedals made from CTS is breaking down causing it to stick over time compared the materials that Denso has been using for the non affected vehicles. Atleast toyota is stopping production, putting in the correct material pedals vs just letting them roll out the door with the old defective parts.

My Subaru all weather floor mats have a hole and the floor has a hook.... problems solved.

blackx-runner
01-31-2010, 11:52 AM

My Subaru all weather floor mats have a hole and the floor has a hook.... problems solved.

So do the toyota mats. Some people are just too stupid too install them or use the wrong mats. :roll:

McKeever
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
You know I had heard of a serious problem on older Toyota trucks (Steering Rod) that would have merited a HUGE amount of those being recalled but Toyota somewhat swept it under the rug.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/vide ... l-coverup/ (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/video-toyota-grilled-over-possible-truck-recall-coverup/)

Makes me wonder what happened to the truck to cause that to happen. Steering rods just don't snap out of the blue. Those truck get driven hard off road, and If you know anything about off roading in an IFS you know breaking stuff is common. With that said, I'm surprised there had only been 80 claims as of 2006 for a truck that was over a decade old. (nothing against you 85xr7project, I'm just commenting on that recall in general)

Drifte
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM

So does Brianna's Mitsubishi. Sometimes the obvious fix is to easy and overlooked. I know we both are aware of a couple companies with strange ideas and narrow sighted engineers ;).

Domestic Disturbance
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Media blows everything out of proportion, they aren't biased about what company does what. More often than not they are brown nosing toyota hardcore. Its that same media that pointed fingers at american auto makers losses but never highlighted the foreign markets losses.
They aren't saints for covering this by recalling it. They are required to, just like most companies when something bad comes up. The media is probably jumping all over this because that notion of toyota being the best cars out there and that they are untouchable just fell through the floor. They are mortal, like any other company. I don't really see why its such a big deal on here, they haven't made an exciting car in over 10 years anyways (atleast in this country) except for their decent midsized trucks. Woo hoo.

Jappbox
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
The Lexus's Are Kick Ass though, I allmost bought a AWD Lexus 250.

Ricky
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
The Lexus's Are Kick Ass though, I allmost bought a AWD Lexus 250.

I have been looking at those too. If i get out of the modding game (the little that i am) im getting one of those!

slow ride
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
They look nice, but couldn't get out of there own way. The 3.5 with AWD and a stick would be nice, but it's not offered that way. Toyota hasn't made much fun stuff since the Supra days. Fun don't sell that well, but soccer moms sure do like mini vans and xovers.

black88gt
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/moose9c1/toyota_moving-forward.jpg

Drifte
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM
If toyota comes out with their rwd subaru powered car Im in. Its like a new age corolla (ae86 chassis).

On another note, if the cars throttle sticks, it simply sticks where ever you last had the pedal. So...are all of these people flooring their econo boxes or what?! I had my throttle stick on one of my DSM's before. I put the clutch in and pulled over.

Mufflover
02-02-2010, 07:55 AM
If toyota comes out with their rwd subaru powered car Im in. Its like a new age corolla (ae86 chassis).

On another note, if the cars throttle sticks, it simply sticks where ever you last had the pedal. So...are all of these people flooring their econo boxes or what?! I had my throttle stick on one of my DSM's before. I put the clutch in and pulled over.

I think thats easier said then done when your in bumper to bumper traffic on the hwy, remember how many women drivers r out there.lol

sparkles
02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
One of the scariest fucking things that's ever happened to me is have my throttle stick when I was on the on E14th here in town and decided to mash the long skinny pedal. I let it get up there right before coming onto someone's ass, let off the gas, and kept the fuck hauling butt towards him. Not really the same as a whooping 120hp Corolla doing the same thing, but when in a decent powered sports car and it happens, it's not the funnest thing in the world.

Ricky
02-02-2010, 09:35 AM

As far as I know, in my experience, vehicles with the push button shut off when you push it again. Also, theres always neutral. Hell, toss the FOB out the window, see if that helps.

Your right. By pushing the button again it should kill the the engine.. holding the button down for 3 secs will cut the engine for sure.

Drifte
02-02-2010, 07:13 PM
If I could rename the pedals in the car I think it would go:
dead pedal= dead pedal (I like it, keepin it the same)
Clutch= men only pedal
brake= oh shit pedal
gas= woop up pedal

thats my 2cents and 1 minute of me evening.

black88gt
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
the plot thickens...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... 3465.story (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-congress3-2010feb03,0,7933465.story)

Domestic Disturbance
02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Ya now theres incidents being reported with brake issues on the prius's.

And I also believe last summer toyota dropped its rwd sport car platform it had in developement.

blackx-runner
02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Ya now theres incidents being reports with brake issues on the prius's.

And I also believe last summer toyota dropped its rwd sport car platform it had in developement.

I still don't think they know what the fuck is going on. It could be a combination of many things. Or they know and just don't want to admit how big the fuck up is.

I think the rwd sports car is still in the works... but it may not be seen in the US. :mad: