PDA

View Full Version : '73 Mach1/boosted modular build

sLoWnStEaDy
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Figure I might as well start this even though it will be a slow process I am sure. car is a 1973 Mach 1, engine will be a 4.6L DOHC modular motor with a Holset HX52 turbo. Goal is anything above 500RWHP. The car is butt ugly right now as it was painted by some high school kid with horrible taste and even worse skills. Runs everywhere, almost bare spots in places etc...

pictures from teh ebay ad (don't have any of my own yet really)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1264192462061796700.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1264192475016771000.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1264192491008164700.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

and this is what i am shootign for: http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1264192536041901300.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

Only thing build wise I have to say so far is I gutted the interior and will be replacing the floor pans. I have a complete brand new black leather interior waiting to go in after engine/body work and such. For now I am just replacing the floor pans and I will be priming the car then focusing on teh running/driving aspect. body work and paint will come next year sometime. we are looking to move to Arizona so I might just wait until we move.

Going to pick up a Teksid motor right now from Waterloo so I can start the build! Sucks though because I still have like 5 engines laying around in my garage I have yet to get rid of (306, 351W, 300, LQ1, another 351W and a c4)

FiFdYnUtZ
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
looks like this should be a fun project for ya!

85XR7Project
01-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I still want that 351W, I've been pestering the wife over it for a while now.

stangvortech
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
sweet!!!!

sLoWnStEaDy
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Better get on it... I just have to get off my ass and take the motors to Sperry's which will probably be next week or so. If you want, you can take it and just pay me when you get the money or whatever. I just want these damn things out of my garage! I am up to like 6 engines in there now that I brought the modular home.

As for the build, I drove up to Waterloo to pick up my motor and when I got there, they didn't have it. I was pissed but stayed pleasant and told them I just drove over an hour and I talked to the guy on the phone before I left and yadda yadda... So they found one they had on a shelf with about 1/2 the mileage and is a complete motor rather than just a short block like tthe other. They gave it to me for the same price too :biggrin:
strapped it on the trailer with SIX ratchet straps and checked them every 20 minutes or so. By the time I got home I only had three left :suspect: two hooks broke off and one was cut off, lost the three ratcheting mechanisms. Good thing at teh last swap meet I bought like 50 of the dang things

85XR7Project
01-24-2010, 05:31 AM
I might have to take you up on that actually, I'll see if I have the time to do it in the very near future and let you know.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-27-2010, 02:40 PM
No big updates yet really, in the process of tearing the motor down to a bare block. I have to get the rotating assembly out and then it is heading off to Sperry's. Just bought a Cobra intake manifold setup, a set of Siemens Deka 60# injectors and a pair of MMR fuel rails. A forged crank, H-beams and forged pistons are next on the list. Well, they where actualy first on the list but I found a great deal on this stuff so I had to get it. should all be here by the end of the week I am hoping

sLoWnStEaDy
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
No updates yet because once again Sperry's is taking forever (4 days now) to do a simple hot tank/blast on my block... I wish there was another local shop I coudl go to...

stangvortech
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Horn or D&R is where I would go.

NitrousMike
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
horn , gets shit done fast.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
yeah, I like Chris (Horn) but I am only a couple miles from Sperry's is the shitty thing. Horns does all of my major stuff because he gets shit done fast and gets it done right! I keep giving Sperrys little shit to do in hopes they will get it done and I can take my bigger stuff to them but...
Took them 3-4 days to throw my blower top on the belt sander surfacer deal, 4 days now to hot tank/blast my block, over a week to put a power valve in my Holley 4150 and a few other little things. I just don't like to have to drive all the way out to Horns all the dang time! However, looking back, driving 20 minutes would have saved me a coupe weeks time already. Sperry's just strikes me as the kind of place where if you aren't spending a ton of money they don't give a shit about you. Where as Chris at Horn has talked to me for hours (not all at once of course LOL) explaining this and that and he's let me hang around the shop and watch stuff get done etc...

ANYWAYS, they said the block will be done tomorow, meanig probably mid next week but hopefuly I can get an update sooner or later on the actual build here!

sLoWnStEaDy
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Update: Sperrys still hadn't even moved my block from where I set it when I dropped it off. Picked it up and took it to Stewarts. They got it done for me in a couple hours! I guess I know where to take all of my stuff now! the did some stuff for me on the RX7 too but Sperry being so close just made me really hope that would work out LOL...

Forged crank will be here tomorow!

SaNdMaNsSi
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Better get on it... I just have to get off my ass and take the motors to Sperry's which will probably be next week or so. If you want, you can take it and just pay me when you get the money or whatever. I just want these damn things out of my garage! I am up to like 6 engines in there now that I brought the modular home.

As for the build, I drove up to Waterloo to pick up my motor and when I got there, they didn't have it. I was pissed but stayed pleasant and told them I just drove over an hour and I talked to the guy on the phone before I left and yadda yadda... So they found one they had on a shelf with about 1/2 the mileage and is a complete motor rather than just a short block like tthe other. They gave it to me for the same price too :biggrin:
strapped it on the trailer with SIX ratchet straps and checked them every 20 minutes or so. By the time I got home I only had three left :suspect: two hooks broke off and one was cut off, lost the three ratcheting mechanisms. Good thing at teh last swap meet I bought like 50 of the dang things

....And every car guy within 20 miles was causing crashes on the interstate trying to run across 3 lanes to pick them up. I swear, if a woman wants to kill her husband and make it look like an accident, drop a tie-down strap on the interstate.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
No updates yet because once again Sperry's is taking forever (4 days now) to do a simple hot tank/blast on my block... I wish there was another local shop I coudl go to...

They do good work, but I'm not surprised. I took my motor for a total build, and they told me they could be done within a week. Over 6 months later they called me to tell me it was done.

I took my Diesel Atv top end up there about 5 months ago, just got it back this afternoon.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
i have heard countless stories of people's shit taking foreeeever there...although he does great work from what ive seen....

SaNdMaNsSi
02-04-2010, 07:48 PM
yeah, I like Chris (Horn) but I am only a couple miles from Sperry's is the shitty thing. Horns does all of my major stuff because he gets shit done fast and gets it done right! I keep giving Sperrys little shit to do in hopes they will get it done and I can take my bigger stuff to them but...
Took them 3-4 days to throw my blower top on the belt sander surfacer deal, 4 days now to hot tank/blast my block, over a week to put a power valve in my Holley 4150 and a few other little things. I just don't like to have to drive all the way out to Horns all the dang time! However, looking back, driving 20 minutes would have saved me a coupe weeks time already. Sperry's just strikes me as the kind of place where if you aren't spending a ton of money they don't give a shit about you. Where as Chris at Horn has talked to me for hours (not all at once of course LOL) explaining this and that and he's let me hang around the shop and watch stuff get done etc...

ANYWAYS, they said the block will be done tomorow, meanig probably mid next week but hopefuly I can get an update sooner or later on the actual build here!

Sperry's does awesome work, but I agree about the time thing. I haven't had any timeline on the stuff I took up there, so it was an annoyance, but not a deal-breaker. I like they guy, so I'll keep going. But as for money, they don't work any quicker. I spent 60 bucks on the Diesel, and it took 5 months. I spent 5,000 on my car, it took 6.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Sperry's does awesome work, but I agree about the time thing. I haven't had any timeline on the stuff I took up there, so it was an annoyance, but not a deal-breaker. I like they guy, so I'll keep going. But as for money, they don't work any quicker. I spent 60 bucks on the Diesel, and it took 5 months. I spent 5,000 on my car, it took 6.

LOL... I was thinking at least the money thing could SOME WHAT justify it! I mean my $50~ hot tank job or someone $10,000 engine build I could see waiting on my block. Of course all you do is stick it in a damn machine and push a button so really it would have taken a total of like 5 minutes of actual "work". When I went in there to drop it off they where sitting there doing nothing for a solid 10-15 minutes, probably 5-6 guys. If they had put it in then I could have had it by noon the same day! Eithe rway, Stewarts got it taken care of and FAST! the extra 5 minutes to drive is worth it not taking ages to get the work done.

stangvortech
02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
shit man I have a forged crank, 60lbs, teksid just sitting here. lol good luck that 4.6 will move!!!!

69gt4speed
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Bottom line imo you need to be Ed to get shit done qwik there, maybe Jesse or George. Imo he's getting like me... old and not as motivated.. sh-t gets old after a while. If I had a kid that liked cars be ok, as it is w wife barking about the 03... u know or will know sooner or later.

I myself would have built a 460+ carb w juice setup. I saw a street stang 1970 w 460 mild build go hi 10's w hardly anything besides a 100 plate system and a auto. I'm talking a flat tappet hyd and shorty fpa swap hdrs and 2.5k stall w 3.5 gears. Course not the best for gas mileage.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Bottom line imo you need to be Ed to get shit done qwik there, maybe Jesse or George. Imo he's getting like me... old and not as motivated.. sh-t gets old after a while. If I had a kid that liked cars be ok, as it is w wife barking about the 03... u know or will know sooner or later.

I myself would have built a 460+ carb w juice setup. I saw a street stang 1970 w 460 mild build go hi 10's w hardly anything besides a 100 plate system and a auto. I'm talking a flat tappet hyd and shorty fpa swap hdrs and 2.5k stall w 3.5 gears. Course not the best for gas mileage.

that was thr original plan but there is nothing really special about that. Lots of people have big block mustangs, not many boosted modular classics... Plus this is more "me" if you know what I mean...

69gt4speed
02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Ya that's fine I'm just getting old and my kid doesn't go for cars really. I don't know if a 4v will fit in a 73, guess we'll find out.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
OK, I have started on the smaller stuff, got the block back from Stewarts (well, actually got it back a few hours after dropping it off) and got it all painted up a nice cast aluminum color. I took the front/rear covers, valve covers, power steering bracket and some other stuff to the car wash along with some foam engine degreaser and got them all cleaned up nice. I am trying to decide what I want to do with the valve covers I was thinking polished, then I found the Alsa corp. and they're "spray chrome" and then I found the Crazer stuff they have and now I don't know what I am doing LOL...

I promise I will make some real progress here sooner or later! For now, here are some pictures of parts I have laying around waiting for me...

Siemens 55lb fuel injectors (I will be running fuel pressure around 55psi)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1265770527064060300.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

aeromotive fuel rails
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1265770579045866100.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

cobra intake setup (going to be polished by bowtiebuba)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1265770599027618500.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

forged cobra crankshaft
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1265770636018842800.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

this is the exhaust setup I am "hoping" to use
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1265770691009586900.gif (http://www.imagechicken.com)

stangvortech
02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
sick looks good!!!

NitrousMike
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I can build you a turbo systems.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I can build you a turbo systems.

already have the turbo, W.G., BOV etc... just needing the hot side. that kit is only like $200~ so I figure it is worth a try, if it don't fit I am sure I can sell it and double my money.

NitrousMike
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
must be thin wall tubing and, made in china, i CANT EVAN GET MATERIAL FOR THAT WTF.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
must be thin wall tubing and, made in china, i CANT EVAN GET MATERIAL FOR THAT WTF.

more than likely... They said it is 16gauge T-304 stainless....

69gt4speed
02-10-2010, 01:57 AM
That's as thick as a hooker hdr and 304 is better. Like I said do not be surprised if it does not fit. I looked into it on the 69, you need a late model fox strut setup to fit and cut the towers. A 71/73 has the biggest engine bay for a 429/460 though w the old setup. A 4v is wide.. more than a 429/460. More than a 427 cammer. More than a 429 boss. Those would barely fit a 71/73. I'd check it out now.

TbTalon94
02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
It's an ebay kit, you get what you pay for. If it fits it won't fit well, and it won't last either. Good luck with that.

Scott
02-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Yeah just decent brand v-band clamps in stainless for that setup would cost more than that. Like Rob said the shock towers are most likely going to be way too narrow for that mod motor, might to do some custom suspension work to that beast!! Good luck man thats going to be alot of work

sLoWnStEaDy
02-10-2010, 07:43 AM
The motor will fit, stock towers and everything... LOL I do tend to do a little research before I start dumping money into a project. I remember when I started my 3.4L DOHC Fiero and everyone was telling me it would never fit, thing looked like it was made for that car!

as for the exhaust, it is def. a cheap setup, cheap, probably junk but if it is indeed 16gauge T-304 I don't see there being too much of an issue. Sure it doesn't cost $2000 so some people will have an issue with it but hey, its not your build ;)

TbTalon94
02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
what you don't understand is it can be said it's "304 stainless" but there are plenty of different grades of that. Something can be labeled 304 stainless but chemically be closer to carbon steel. You will notice the flanges rust, the pipes rust, and more then likely the welds crack (that's a different story). Real quality 304 stainless won't do that.

China does a great job at producing VERY low quality metals and labeling them the same as we have here. People see 304 stainless and think it's the same quality we have here...but it is FAR from it.

Don't get me started on the welds. Most of them are fused (no filler wire) as well as pulsed. Fusing and pulsing have it's place in the welding world, but when your building a turbo kit made to support weight...it is not the way to do it.

That kit wouldn't look so nice and probably wouldn't sell if it wasn't polished up. People see shiny and think it's quality.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
people have actually had decent luck with the stainless ebay headers for fbodies from what ive seen...

TbTalon94
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Those aren't taking weight. I've had good luck with ebay o2 housings and the like.

Look around any DSM/Evo/subaru/nissan/etc. anything that you can find an ebay turbo manifold for. They fall apart. They work great for a little while (luck) then they eventually crack or cause problems. It's innevitable.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, 100% for sure there are better options out there but for now I will give these a try. If I get them and the metal looks decently thick and everything I will just grind the welds down and have the whole setup re-welded. If they look like aluminum foil junk then I will sell the kit to someone else and most likely make a profit. I know what you are saying about the quality and there have def. been a bunch of cases where "ebay turbo manifolds" have busted and cracked and all that but I know there are also a ton of people that have been running them for years without issue. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it also not a great thing to have the exhaust manifold taking all of the weight of a turbo? Especially when you are getting into 60lb+ turbo weight...?

Again, I agree 100% but 90%+ of the failures I have seen come from people with 40lb+ turbos mounted to the headers with no support at all. If you take the weight of the turbo out of the equation I would say that drastically ups your chances of NOT having something snap. I know they used to all be REALLY thing walled crap but I have heard a lot of people that are using them (not these particular ones but form the same place) and they are saying almost 3mm thick. I have no idea how thick that is in terms of "gauge" but I know the ones people are seeing all busted to hell are mostly less than 2mm thick. Not to mention an argument could be made that A lot of our metals already come from countries like china who have huge steel markets that at points in time have exceeded our own...

Ricky
02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
buy and try it. I bought an ebay header and up pipe. I know it will surface rust (dp and cat back are ebay) I plan on getting the header and up pipe ceramic coated and bam rust problem gone. That is also a option.... keeps heat out of the engine bay too ;)

TbTalon94
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Lol you guys aren't getting it. The actual stainless properties aren't up to par. That is why they crack. It doesn't matter how thick they are.

The people who don't have problems are the ones that brace the turbos or just have good luck.

The stuff will probably work just fine for you Keith, but to make it better i'd make a bracket from the turbo to bolt to the motor somewhere to relieve the stress. That should take most of the weight off the pipes and help to make it last. Expansion/contraction comes into play as well and even if you take the weight off it still may crack. The metal just isn't good.

It's cheap because it is mass produced with cheap materials. Yea you could probably buy a few of those for the price of a quality made one...but sometimes it's such a smaller pain in the ass to buy it from a quality company first and spend the extra money. Plus you are supporting american companies then!

Ricky
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Plus you are supporting american companies then!

Buy a GM then.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Buy a GM then.

LOL... I think Toyota actually has more American made parts on them then GM's do...

Trevor, You know I value your opinion and I hear/understand what you are saying about the materials. I would love nothing more than to have you or another local shop build my hot side but $200 vs. $2000 is worth the "risk" to me. at least with exhaust parts. the rotating assembly is all forged and "name brand" as well as every other single aspect of the engine. My plan is to do as you said and make a "mount" for the turbo to the engine block to help a little bit.

sparkles
02-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Buy a GM then.

LOL... I think Toyota actually has more American made parts on them then GM's do...

I was going to say the same thing, but in lieu of the recent quality issues being brought to light, I think I'd rather have a GM or Ford.

TbTalon94
02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
yea atleast they don't run away.

Domestic Disturbance
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
yea atleast they don't run away.
Cause lying about it isnt the same. Hard to run when the Gov't is inspecting it. I'm not gonna muck up this thread though. Should be a sweet build with that 4v

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
First off, here is the disaster of a mess the "engine bay" of my garage has turned into! Someone PLEASE take these damn ford motors!!!!
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/43/46l4vdohcturbo005.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/46l4vdohcturbo005.jpg/)

a couple shots of the block, covers and P.S. bracket as I got bored.... I should not have had the flash on, that is a "cast aluminum" colored paint and does not look like that without the flash of my camera!!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2667/46l4vdohcturbo004.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4471/46l4vdohcturbo003.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9335/46l4vdohcturbo002.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4204/46l4vdohcturbo001.jpg

Clinical
02-11-2010, 04:40 PM
did my friend ever call you about the 351w?

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
did my friend ever call you about the 351w?

yeah... said he was going to pick it up late last week, didn't... said he was going to pick it up monday, didn't... said he was going to call me back in a "couple days" and hasn't yet... LOL

Clinical
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
i know he was saying he was going to get it monday but then it started snowing and he said he wasnt going to be able to until roads got better.

I wasn't actually sure if he had contacted you or what.. oh well - up to him

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2010, 06:02 PM
i know he was saying he was going to get it monday but then it started snowing and he said he wasnt going to be able to until roads got better.

I wasn't actually sure if he had contacted you or what.. oh well - up to him

yeah... I don't what's up, I have had a few people say 100% they wanted stuff then just flaked out at the last minute. I actually had a guy say he would take everything I had for $400, so I pulled that 351W out of the mustang and had i all ready to go. The day he was suppose to come up he said he had to stay late at work. Never heard from him again! :mad:

I just want some damn space in the "engine stall" of my garage again!! It is very hard to get out there when I know how much of a mess it is and I have no where to put any of it.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I am in the process of converting my IMRC plates to IMRC delete plates. Let it be known that when using the "plastic weld" epoxy it is probably a good idea to do it in a well ventilated area and not in a small room in your basement that is practically sealed. :)

Although, I do feel pretty good now! well, kinda tired, but... good.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-19-2010, 05:49 PM
IMRC delete plates are done. Order my H-beam rods (with ARP 2000 bolts) and "Extreme X" forged pistons from D.S.S. Racing and since I am a Corral member I got a nice discount and got the "X Groove piston skirt" option added for free as well. All in all cost me $1019 shipped for the pistons and rods. Would have been like $1320 otherwise, piston/rod combo has been proven several times to be good at the 1000hp+ level so I think they will work out just fine for my needs!
Only thing I am not "too excited" about is the dish options where 10cc or 21cc... 10cc would put me at around 9.4:1 and the 21cc around 8.5:1, I decided to go with the 21cc dishes. They will make any dish you want but that was an additional $100 and in all honesty I think 8.5:1 will work out great! I was wanting to stay as close to 9:1 as possible but I can make up for the low end "pre-boost" loss in other ways.

Domestic Disturbance
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
why not the higher comp of the too, isnt 9.5 -9.3 ish the way everyone is going for boost now?

sLoWnStEaDy
02-19-2010, 10:13 PM
why not the higher comp of the too, isnt 9.5 -9.3 ish the way everyone is going for boost now?

depends on a lot of things really, I went with the lower for safety/tuning and higher boost levels and the ability to make more power on pump gas...

TbTalon94
02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
The lower compression is going to be easier to tune, and a little safer on higher power.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-20-2010, 06:21 PM
The lower compression is going to be easier to tune, and a little safer on higher power.

speaking of tuning... you still into that?

I have everything for my motor now (well, I have ordered everything anyways) and my income taxes should be here in the next couple weeks so I will have a decent chunk of change to spend on whatever I chose for engine management but I don't even now where to start with that! I am thinking I will just run a stock ECM and then go with SCT or something like that. I looked into MegaSquirt as well but that is over my head, "plug and play" as far as ECM/harness goes is good for me. Then I can at least drive it somewhere and have them do all the fun work.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-20-2010, 07:18 PM
oh yeah.... got bored so I shaved and polished my compressor today. should look good along with the Cobra manifold I am having "bowtiebubba" polish for me (whenever I get my ass out that direction and drop it off)

Sadly I forgot to get "before" pictures but this things was NASTY! Actually got it for for free from a forum member (he was selling that red 2G eclipse a while back for like $300~) but yeah, it was dirty as hell! also said VOLVO, and HOLSET on it and had 3 humps...

looked just like this as far as the raised lettering and everything...
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1266722462025735800.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1266721882080834000.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

85XR7Project
02-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Came out looking a hell of alot better than it looked yesterday. Nice work!

sLoWnStEaDy
02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Came out looking a hell of a lot better than it looked yesterday. Nice work!

LOL, at least someone knows what the ugly bastard looked like before hand! Not too bad for about an hour of work, may be a little more but I stopped to wipe all the polishing compound off my face a few times! BAMF (my pitbull) scared the shit out of me, apparently he didn't recognize me with a brown face. Or he is just racist, either way he was PISSED when I started walking up to the house, I had to give him his german commands so he didn't rear my ass up.

Yes, that is right, I taught my pitbull all of his commands in German. What is scarier to a black person than a pitbull? a pitbull with a guy yelling at it in german. now if I had a mote to take advantage of the whole "black people can't swim" thing I would be completely set. :bigthumb:

Ricky
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM

LOL, at least someone knows what the ugly bastard looked like before hand! Not too bad for about an hour of work, may be a little more but I stopped to wipe all the polishing compound off my face a few times! BAMF (my pitbull) scared the shit out of me, apparently he didn't recognize me with a brown face. Or he is just racist, either way he was PISSED when I started walking up to the house, I had to give him his german commands so he didn't rear my ass up.

Yes, that is right, I taught my pitbull all of his commands in German. What is scarier to a black person than a pitbull? a pitbull with a guy yelling at it in german. now if I had a mote to take advantage of the whole "black people can't swim" thing I would be completely set. :bigthumb:

Hehe. love it.

DustinsDuster
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM

thought you'd dig this Keith:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/218923/80923928.jpg

FiFdYnUtZ
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
LOL

Ricky
02-23-2010, 11:27 AM
WIN!

sLoWnStEaDy
03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Some pretty things to look at:

the custom 21cc dished pistons (8.5:1 compression) with the patent pending "x groove" skirts.
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267568540067506500.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267568581014746900.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

H-Beams with ARP2000 bolts
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267568592075014500.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1267568606099288200.jpg (http://www.imagechicken.com)

Rotating assembly is on its way out to be balanced and then the actual engine build can begin!!

sLoWnStEaDy
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
WOW! Dropping the rotating assembly off tomorrow at Horn and they said it will be done friday, may be even thursday! That is a hell of a nice change around from the 4-6 weeks it would take Sperry's to even LOOK at my stuff! I am excited now, this means if all goes as planned my engine should be complete and together next weekend!

Still have to find someone to rebuild my turbo though as I am not really comfortable doing that so if anyone knows a local place that will rebuild my HX52, let me know!

69gt4speed
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I wondered how that x deal worked appears the oil ring hole is used mo or less to oil the skirt. Looks like top ring is fairly far down also. Other words looks durable.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Chris thought they looked pretty damn good too.

Ordered some more stuff, nothing too great... piston rings, all my bearings, MSD coils, MSD wires, new H.V. oil pump, A1000, 22' of -10, Y-block (-10 to 2x -8), 6ft of -8 and some Russell "ProClassic" fittings (I think the black/silver will go better with the car than the old blue/red look). In the process of possibly getting some 17x9/10.5 Bullits with 285/315 tires for a pretty damn good price! Hopefully that works out for me because that would be SWEET, if they can't work on the Mach One, they WILL work on the RX7 ;)

For the record, a lot of it came form "V12 auto parts", as did the arilift bags I got for the caddy and the cast 90*s I got for the supercoupe. They had the best prices I could find anywhere and I have dealt with them a couple times before so it was a "no brainer" for me...

Scott
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Im assuming you did some checking on the hellfire rings when you ordered those? Its the same ring I run in my nitrous car and they are HARD rings, in other words they can be pretty hard on cylinder walls if you plan on putting alot of miles on the engine. If your planning on putting down alot of power "900+" they are nessecary, just a fyi

sLoWnStEaDy
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Im assuming you did some checking on the hellfire rings when you ordered those? Its the same ring I run in my nitrous car and they are HARD rings, in other words they can be pretty hard on cylinder walls if you plan on putting alot of miles on the engine. If your planning on putting down alot of power "900+" they are nessecary, just a fyi

yeah, did the research... we actually ended up going with some Mahle rings IIRC... I wasn't concerned with the HellFires because it is a standard bore block and I didn't plan to put too many miles on it and figured I could just bore it out and change pistons when the time came. Then Chris talked to me and we ended up going with some other rings. Mainly just because they where like $75 cheaper and since at the moment I am only planning on 600hp~ he thought the Hellfires would be a bit "overkill"

Clinical
03-08-2010, 09:01 AM
This really looks like it'll be fun when it's done :supz: :rock: :supz:

sLoWnStEaDy
03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
This really looks like it'll be fun when it's done :supz: :rock: :supz:

Should be! i am HOPING that this fall I can take the Mach One, SuperCoupe and the RX7 all up to CFR and see what they got. Supercoupe is probably 13's btu the RX7 has ran a low 11 with street tires and a 100 shot (running a 200 shot now and I have slicks) so I am thinking I should be able to break 10's in that, NO clue what the MachOne will do...

Clinical
03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
It ought to do good.

Seeing one of those restored with that setup will be badass no matter what it runs

85XR7Project
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I've never seen a 3rd gen Stang with a 4.6 before much less a turbo'd one, definitly unique I'm eager to see it get underway.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Got my engine back today and tried to take some pictures but my POS camera (Fujifilm Finpix SF1000D or something like that) kept freezing every time I would try to take a picture so I busted it to pieces... going to buy a new camera so pics should be up tonight....

sLoWnStEaDy
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
YAY! sorry, this is my first build using all brand new parts, not used to seeing everything so shiny LOL... ended up leaving the piston .006 below teh deck, main bearing clearance is .002, rods .0021, pistons .0035, end play .004, top rings 16, 2nd rings 18.

Blasted it down with Sta-bil fogger oil and wrapped it back up in the plastic... shoudl I remove the plastic or...? I keep thinking moisture will build up in the plastic and stuff will rust or something...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/719/46l4vdohcturbo006.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9456/46l4vdohcturbo020.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/321/46l4vdohcturbo019.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7615/46l4vdohcturbo016.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8304/46l4vdohcturbo015.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4712/46l4vdohcturbo014.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2057/46l4vdohcturbo013.jpg
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/6777/46l4vdohcturbo012.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8202/46l4vdohcturbo011.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6726/46l4vdohcturbo010.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5509/46l4vdohcturbo009.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1751/46l4vdohcturbo007.jpg

69gt4speed
03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
I'd carry it into the house unless ur garage is heated... Or put a small 25w trouble light under it. I never had anything rust then w oiling stuff down also. Hey this going to be a auto or stick I forget..

sLoWnStEaDy
03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd carry it into the house unless ur garage is heated... Or put a small 25w trouble light under it. I never had anything rust then w oiling stuff down also. Hey this going to be a auto or stick I forget..

going to be an auto... what's the purpose of the light? to keep it dry? all I have are those 500W hologen lamps...

FiFdYnUtZ
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
looks good!

69gt4speed
03-20-2010, 12:29 AM

going to be an auto... what's the purpose of the light? to keep it dry? all I have are those 500W hologen lamps...

The light just makes heat to raise the dew point above ambient... That way no moisture will collect on your parts.... You better get this done or will kick ur azz.. lil bro..lol or buy it for spare for the 03...