PDA

View Full Version : ford people... Modular questions...

sLoWnStEaDy
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
OK, so I priced out my big block build and it is "up there". I then decided to look around at modualr motors just for shits and giggles and found that I can get a complete low mileage motor with wiring/ecm etc.. and a decent warranty for about 1/3 the price I was going to spend on building my big block. so here are some questions, Just for the record, "in theory" I would be doing a turbo setup on the modular if I go that route over the Big Block...

I am looking at the 03-04 4.6L DOHC mustang motors and they are running about 2X as much as the 03-04 4.6L DOHC engines found in Mercury Marauders. Is there a big difference between the two or...? It says the marauders 4.6L DOHC is rated at 302HP where as the Mach1 4.6L DOHC's are rated at 305-310 but I couldn't see spending an additional $1500+ for a couple horsepower.

I am also looking at the 5.4L DOHC that came in the 99-04 Lincoln Navigators. The price for one of these is the same as a 4.6L DOHC from a Marauder, would there be a reason NOT to go with this over the 4.6L DOHC?

Scott
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
I cant help with much on this subject but gotta watch some of those mustang motors might be out of a cobra which would have a blower on it.. Im sure you already knew that though

sLoWnStEaDy
01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I cant help with much on this subject but gotta watch some of those mustang motors might be out of a cobra which would have a blower on it.. Im sure you already knew that though

yeah... The cobra motors (VIN Y) are like $10K~ :suspect: found a couple for $6K~ but still fukkin crazy IMO... the cheapest non-supercharged (VIN R) 4.6L DOHC mustang motor I have found is like $2500~ but the Marauders, I have found a bunch like $1000~

sparkles
01-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I know it doesn't fall into the DOHC Category, but a buddy of mine has a 5.4 that needs some head work I guess for sale right now that's sold for $200 this Sat if he doesn't get anyone that'll buy it for more

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/1533428479.html

It's cheap....

K-ville
01-14-2010, 03:39 PM
i know where there is a 04 cobra motor with a melted piston and needs the head repaired for 1600.00

sLoWnStEaDy
01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I know it doesn't fall into the DOHC Category, but a buddy of mine has a 5.4 that needs some head work I guess for sale right now that's sold for $200 this Sat if he doesn't get anyone that'll buy it for more

It's cheap....

i know where there is a 04 cobra motor with a melted piston and needs the head repaired for 1600.00

I would be getting something that is completely "ready to run" and I am stuck on DOHC if I go the modular route

K-ville
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
5.4's can make some power though... but i would prefer the DOHC also

sLoWnStEaDy
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
made an accoutn on modularfords.com so I should have some answers pretty quick. Still like to hear from the locals though ;)

K-ville
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
thats a awsome site lots of good guys there

sparkles
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM

You talking about Jordan's?

K-ville
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
dont know the name just friend who has a number

Scott
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
That is really tempting, what comes with that engine??

MustangMike
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM

It's cheap....

not a bad price

K-ville
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM

to my knowledge its complete but disassembled no blower just a basic longblock

MustangMike
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM

to my knowledge its complete but disassembled

I'll call some of my buddys back home and see if they can locate somthing, if you like

OldSkoolRCR
01-14-2010, 08:13 PM

to my knowledge its complete but disassembled

I'll call some of my buddys back home and see if they can locate somthing, if you like
You have NO imaginary buddys back home, and deffinatly NO freinds left in CR

sLoWnStEaDy
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM
any chance we can try to keep this a little on topic?

sparkles
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
any chance we can try to keep this a little on topic?

If it's Jordan's, it's been beat on pretty bad. He bought the car from a guy, who bought it from a hispanic that had it down in Mexico street racing and what not. We saw a bunch of vids on YouTube with the guy just driving the shit outta it. Had to be some drug dealer or something, because in all of his videos, he had some nice rides that you could tell he just abused and then sold. A TT Vette, H2, etc.

Is this the one you're talking about?
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/1521167936.html

Still a good deal though as long as nothing else is wrong with it.

stangvortech
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
03-04 cobra motor is forged good for 800+ safe from the factory. all other dohc motors 04-99 just have a forged crank and are good for 450rwhp safe. in a nut shell

NewSpeedSteed
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
03-04 cobra motor is forged good for 800+ safe from the factory. all other dohc motors 04-99 just have a forged crank and are good for 450rwhp safe. in a nut shell

+1
The DOHC engines that came from 99 and 01 Cobras and 03-04 Machs with manual transmissions only had the forged crank (and were capable for about 7000rpms stock) the automatic equipped cars had the standard Mustang GT crank and can't support the power that the other one can (its red line is also lower obviously) As for power it will hold, anywhere from 430-450 most people say the breaking point is 450 but again it depends on the tune.

As for the Marauder and Mach 1 power ratings the Mach and the Marauder shared the same engine and were both rated for 305hp. The 04 Machs (I don't know about the Marauders) were rated at 310 due to a reworked exhaust cat or something but generally they put down the same numbers on the dyno.

69gt4speed
01-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Marauder engine is the same as mach one intake turned around about it... Wap alum block, Cast pistons, fair rods, crank could be forged one or the cast which doesn't really matter, as the rods, pistons will blow first anyways around 450 whp. wap alum block good till 700 hp, cast crank about the same.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-15-2010, 07:34 AM
That kinda sucks, I was hoping tp make around 500RWHP btu doesn't sound too safe on a stock mod motor. Had someone offer me a D1VE block and D0VE heads for $300 which is a crazy deal and I know I could build that motor up easily. Just tearing into the mod motor is a little scary looking! I remember the fun time I had building my LQ1 a few years ago, mod motor looks like it might be scarier than that!

I still think either build will end up costing about the same, I am just wondering if all the extra PITA stuff that comes along with the mod motor would be worth it.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
so, the Marauder has an aluminum block which I like weight wise as the Mach 1 is already a nose heavy bitch. stock cranks you say are good to around 700HP along with the aluminum block... so I could spend about $1K~ on the motor and another $1K~ on some Eagle H-beams ($460/free shipping) and K.B. forged pistons ($425/free shipping) I should def. be safe for over 600hp at the flywheel and that is still going to cost about $1500-$2000 less than the big block.

The wiring is a concern as well. Are these engine harnesses/ECM able ot be "stand alone" or are they all tangled in with the dash harness and shit? like when I put the 5.0HO in the RX7 I just had to supply 12V+ to a few wires and ground a wire or two out and that was it. Next would be the transmission, TR3650 or 4R70W, I would like to go automatic in this one but I have to look into a transmission controller...

black88gt
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
marauder will have the intake flipped the other direction, probably not a big deal because you're not putting it in something that came w/ a 4.6 but just a heads up

sLoWnStEaDy
01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
marauder will have the intake flipped the other direction, probably not a big deal because you're not putting it in something that came w/ a 4.6 but just a heads up

YUP YUP, that seems to be the main thing people mention...

Does anyone know if the 05+ intake/T.B. setup would work on the older motors? If so how does it compare "performance" wise? Just from looking at some pictures it looks like they are interchangeable but... I LOVE the look of the 05+ engine covers and I think it would look fucking FANTASTIC under the hood!! I am sure the valve cover covers would be pretty easy to rig up but obviously the intake/T.B. cover is a different story. Plus I like the T.B. on the front of the engine as apposed to shooting over a valve cover.

http://northamericantuning.com/images/c ... ess_up.jpg (http://northamericantuning.com/images/california_pony_cars_mustang_engine_dress_up.jpg)

EDIT: now I am a little confused as they are showing this as an '04 mustang with what appears to be the 05+ style intake...

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/t ... to_02.html (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0903_2004_ford_mustang_kenne_bell_supercharge r_install/photo_02.html)

69gt4speed
01-16-2010, 02:05 AM
new 05+ stuff won't fit anything but a 3v plus new stuff has a butterfly in intake setup sorta like old b head 4v did. whole different port setup on a 3v. 0 chance of working.

newer 96+ ecu needs pats turned off to run, maybe a older tbird/crown vic/marquis/ mark7 ecu would work not sure. My 94 t bird didn't have pats. They all have a maf, egr w return fuel system till 99. So walboro fuel pumps w a reg to set fuel pressure like a older 5.0. Oh yea the injector plug ins are different on marauder injectors vs a older harness [pre 99]. I think marauder comes w 24# injectors. Maf connector different also. New ecus need fuel pump fault turned off if going to return style system. So it needs a custom tune w someone who knows how to do it... Talk to John he did something similar w his 03 cobra swap into a v6 w aftermarket gauges.

NewSpeedSteed
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
so, the Marauder has an aluminum block which I like weight wise as the Mach 1 is already a nose heavy bitch. stock cranks you say are good to around 700HP along with the aluminum block... so I could spend about $1K~ on the motor and another $1K~ on some Eagle H-beams ($460/free shipping) and K.B. forged pistons ($425/free shipping) I should def. be safe for over 600hp at the flywheel and that is still going to cost about $1500-$2000 less than the big block.

The wiring is a concern as well. Are these engine harnesses/ECM able ot be "stand alone" or are they all tangled in with the dash harness and shit? like when I put the 5.0HO in the RX7 I just had to supply 12V+ to a few wires and ground a wire or two out and that was it. Next would be the transmission, TR3650 or 4R70W, I would like to go automatic in this one but I have to look into a transmission controller...

The alum block from the Mach and Marauder is good for 800-1000hp easy, the crank is good for around 700 but the when most people upgrade the internals they either buy a rotating assembly with a forged crank and replace the stocker anyway or buy 03-04 cobra internals. I can't tell you about the auto trans but the 3650 (like in my car) can't stand much power. The 3650s are notorious for gear issues (most of the time second or third) and its recommended beefing them up if your going to make any real power. If your gonna make 500hp like you want to you will either buy a promotion built 3650 (around a grand) or a tko trans, another popular one is the T56 six speed but that requires a lil more to make it function right.

69gt4speed
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Needless to say 99+ cars had a cop [8 coils] setup vs just 2 coil packs w wires of older ones. So overall use a marauder ecu turn off pats and fpdm fuel alarm. Like I said talk to John.. it won't be cheap...

black88gt
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
you've got a 351w block, build a clevor setup

different and beastly

ive even got a set of heads for you ;)

92EclipseIA
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
look at any lincoln mark 8 and get a DOHC teskid block, I found mine for $300 complete more including car, and its as strong as any "stock" cobra block., and with a forged cobra crank and a turbo Im gonna make 5-600 rwhp :supz:

sLoWnStEaDy
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM
look at any lincoln mark 8 and get a DOHC teskid block, I found mine for $300 complete more including car, and its as strong as any "stock" cobra block., and with a forged cobra crank and a turbo Im gonna make 5-600 rwhp :supz:

LOL... you're a little late in here :)

picked up a complete 60K mile Mark VIII engine with harness and everything for $200. Then picked up a Cobra intake setup, and some Cobra heads/cams (B heads). got a forged crank, H-beams and forged pistons as well as some Deka 55lb'ers, Aeromotive rails, Aeromotive A1000, and a 70mm turbo (well 69~ I think, Holset HX52)

You can look in the general domestic section under my "73 mach1/boosted modular thread to see my progress. My goal is pretty "low" most people think, I am looking to make pretty much anything over 500 RWHP....

thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13984 (http://www.iowaautoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13984)