PDA

View Full Version : intercooler piping

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
since it looks like I am keeping the thunderbird I am going to sell my double intercooler ang go with a FMIC setup. I am wondering if black tubing is a bad idea? the polished tubes are just too flashy for me and I like the "semi-gloss" black piping but I am wondering if heat might come into play with the black tubes vs. polished?

core size on teh intercooler is like 24" X 12" X 3" and since there isn't a ton of air flow through the front of the SuperCoupe I will be mounting a pair of 10" 1550CFM fans to it...

sparkles
12-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Is the double up for sale?

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
yup, the guy that makes them is having a "holiday special" and selling them for $350 so I am selling the Double intercooler, stock pipes (high temp painted/cleared) and Teflon gaskets for $270 or just the intercooler for $250. It is only a couple months old and has lieteraly 50~ miles on it. Heres a pic, paint is chipped because I set me wrenches and small parts on it when I am working on the car :). No damage at all to teh intercooler, just needs repainted. the inlet/outlet where also ported/polished a little bit before it was welded back together.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9217/interiorengine004.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/interiorengine004.jpg/)http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/interiorengine004.jpg/1/w912.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img16/interiorengine004.jpg/1/)

TbTalon94
12-17-2009, 11:52 AM
So i take it your getting an ebay core?

You do realize that small core on the Supercoupe will probably out-perform the larger ebay core?

FiFdYnUtZ
12-17-2009, 11:56 AM
yeah i was thinking the front mount might be overkill on that m90...

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
probably ebayish... CXRacing.com (http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... ode=IC30CO (http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=IC0022&Category_Code=IC30CO))

I am needing to lower intake temps and a big FMIC with a pair of 1550 fans should do the trick well enough. What makes an intercooler better than the other? I mean they are made of 6061 Aluminum just like the "big names" so as long as the welds are good I don't see the point in spending $800+ for an intercooler atleast not on a car like mine... The blower is 10" overdriven right now and I am planning to add another 5%-10% but I REALLY need to get the intake temps down to do so.

and by "outperform" what exactly do you mean? I am sure I will loose a little boost but I don't see how that double intercooler could possibly cool air better than the big front mount with the fans. The double intercooler needs an 8" fan to really even use it. plus the FMIC won't be soaking in engine bay heat teh whoel time either.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
just did a little search around SCCOA and TCCOA and people are getting anywhere from 25-40 RWHP gain from nothing other than switching form a stock intercooler setup to a FMIC setup. quite a few of which are using Ebay intercoolers or NPR truck intercoolers... this particular company (CXRRacing) has a TON of positive reviews on mustang forums, Grand National Forums, DSM Forums, SCCOA and many others...

Not trying to be arguemenative or anything either, I just don't see the point in spending SO much more money for something when it isn't at all necessary.

So... how about the original question... black vs. polished piping, make a difference?

TbTalon94
12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
The ebay cores are inferior. It isn't just the welds. The fin density INSIDE of the intercooler is where it's lacking. You can't see that of course unless you cut one apart so they look great on the outside. CXracing/ebay gets good reviews because they perform just fine for the average user and are stupid cheap. You just can't beat china pricing, but you are getting an inferior product both in construction and performance.

I was just saying that the ebay cooler isn't that great. I much smaller precision/garrett/bell/etc. core would not only fit better but perform better. It probably wouldn't need fans either. You may spend just a little more but it would be worth it. Although I know how most people are when it comes to performance, money is a big issue and if it "works" and is cheap then they go for it. To each his own, I was just stating my .02

TbTalon94
12-17-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/053-1010

that right there would perform MUCH better and isn't much more for cost. It should fit a little better also.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I could see if I was spending a ton of money on the car or had some crazy plans for it but this is just a fun, cheap project. I don't think there is ANY air flow through the front on these cars which is why I chose such a big intercooler, so I could mount the dual fans. that size fits very nicely between the frame rails and is wider then the radiator to make tube routing easy. I understand they are inferior but they are also 1/3 the price and at the moment price is more important.

I think this is the winter I get my REAL project (71-73 Mach1) so I am not spending any money on this but I am needing some stuff to keep me busy... I am using the money I get by selling the double intercooler and stuff to fund the FMIC project. So it will basicaly end up being "free" and while I know it isn't as good as buying a really nice FMIC it will be better than what is on there now

What do you think about the original question?

FiFdYnUtZ
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
i think black would look awkward with the big aluminum ic...polished seems to be the standard and doesnt look flashy by any means imo..

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
you aren't going to see any of the intercooler at all.... the point of this thread seems to be getting lost in opinions of the setup...

all I want to know is...
will the black piping "perform" any different than the polished piping? I don't think it would but I know there are lot of "boost experienced" people on here so...

TbTalon94
12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
the black piping won't make a difference. It's when you paint an intercooler black is where you loose efficiency.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 03:15 PM
the black piping won't make a difference. It's when you paint an intercooler black is where you loose efficiency.

Thanks Trevor, I appreciate it! When I decide to spend some money you can be sure I will head your way. I am fairly confident you have answered pretty much every one of my boost related questions since high school. :bigthumb:

I am going to look at a '71-'73 fastback/Mach1 (tip from a buddy, wasn't sure the exact year but def. 71-73 and is a fastback, painted like a Mach1 but who knows) tonight. This will be the car I spend stupid amounts of time/money on when I end up with one.

DustinsDuster
12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
if youre talking about the car on the trailer at midwest imports, im pretty sure its an AMC, not a Mustang.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
if youre talking about the car on the trailer at midwest imports, im pretty sure its an AMC, not a Mustang.

no... That's a Javelin, I already talked to Dart about that car. Was going to trade the thunderbird for it but then I looked at the car and changed my mind. For a guy who pays a couple hundred bucks for his cars he sure thinks they are worth a fortune. Helm said the car only sold for like $650 at the auction. I was planning to head to a couple of the dealer auctions with him but haven't yet...

This is just some guy that lives down the street from my moms house in Hiawatha. Bruce just happened to be walking by and see him taking pictures and sparked up a convo. they are both projects but from the sounds of it they are pretty decent. Not like teh turd nuggets in Amana I looked at LOL...

blackx-runner
12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
All my intake piping and intercooler piping is a wrinkle black finish, I think it looks good.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/darobinson/P1010025-1.jpg
Don't mind the rest of the engine being filthy :roll:

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
he has a '73 "sports roof" (looks just like the Mach1's) and a '71 Mach1...

hoping to get the Mach1...

sparkles
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Don't really have any experience with painting/not painting IC pipes...but, I can tell you that wrapping the discharge pipe that goes underneath next to the driver's side header in exhaust wrap is a good way to prevent heat soak into it. I did that on mine way back in the day, and it was well worth the little investment.