PDA

View Full Version : Autobody Recommendation Needed

tastyrice
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a recommendation on a body shop in the Cedar Rapids area to do some custom work for me. I want to put a wide-body kit on my street car. (Before I catch any flack for a body kit, the kit is designed to look like stock.) I need to find someone local who can do fiberglass work, make it look good (as good as oem at least), and stand behind their work. Cost is a factor, but I'm willing to pay more for a better job.

Details about the kit: It's fiberglass. The front fenders are OEM replacements, but the rears have to fit over and adhere to the OEM pieces. As a result, the fuel door also needs to be re-located (typically done with a universal kit) as well as the OEM spoiler. The bumper is new OEM, but there is fiberglass lip that will need to be fit and fastened. Then I'll need prep & paint (possibly for whole car since so many panels are changing).

I used to go to Tusdy's for all my autobody needs, but since they are closed, I need a new shop. Please post up recommended shops or any "unrecommended shops" with a short explanation.

Thanks

SaNdMaNsSi
11-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Bring it by 5 Seasons Auto Rebuilders. We've done lots of custom work, especially fiberglass. A few years ago we did that widebody kit on the Hyundai Tiburon if you ever saw it rolling around. Also have done a couple of civics including my own, a red cavalier years ago- Basically, we've done it a lot.

Drifte
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
And while your over their and want to feel good about the price they give you, check out Golden Hammer haha. But seriously both do great work.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd say stay away from Mike McGrath... not at all happy with what they did for me.

NewSpeedSteed
11-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I'd say stay away from Mike McGrath... not at all happy with what they did for me.

+1
Not just for body work but avoid them like the plague :vom: .

'Golden Hammer' off of 16th ave is a nice place and so is 'Waln's 151 Repair', its right before the gas station in Fairfax. Some people don't like the 'shop kids' there but he has always done great work for me and my family over the years.

tastyrice
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks, guys! I've heard about the estimates from Golden Hammer....probably won't be going there.

I've heard similar responses about McGraths. I also talked to a guy who had a friend who worked there, and the guy didn't really portray his friend's professionalism in the best light.

I'll check out 5 seasons and waln's 151 repair tho!

~Jess

SaNdMaNsSi
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
And while your over their and want to feel good about the price they give you, check out Golden Hammer haha. But seriously both do great work.

I hope your babies get rabies.

Mufflover
11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Ive heard good things about walns to

Ricky
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM

I hope your babies get rabies.

he was saying Golden Hammer is priced high....

SaNdMaNsSi
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm just giving him a hard time.

krustindumm
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Avoid Premier in north liberty, They did an OK job on my car, but for going more than $1000 over the quote, which would have totaled the car I expected much better. There were a few fish eyes, and places that the paint chipped off within 100 miles, plus they cleared over my pin stripes on half the car. Then they refused to fix any of it, saying I should have specified what I wanted beforehand.

Oh, they also took a month longer to finish it because the tech couldn't understand how to put the front end together. I had to go in and do it.

Ricky
11-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm just giving him a hard time.

haha i know

69gt4speed
11-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Honestly golden hammer has done good 2 times on my car, the hood match and the rear end damage (bridge rails at 35 mph) but yea they are expensive. And that's with a car the guy looked at to buy (the exact same 03). My 69, paint wise is such a pos these days I need someone like my lil bro to do it... I heard though via a coworker his c6 vette took a couple of times to match it there...Some blue color.